New to Rivieras...looking to get my first...starting research

MrMajstyk

Hi! I'm new here, and new to Rivieras, although I have been buying and driving older GM cars all my life, just because I love the style and looks and engineering and build quality of these great cars.

These days I'm more into personal luxury coupes. I currently have a very nice 68 Cadillac Coupe deVille. In the more recent past I've had a 66 GTO convertible, a 68 Camaro convertibe (mildly modified), 55 thru 60 Bel Aires and Impalas, and others. But my hot-rod days are behind me and I'm looking for sporty luxury! And that brings me to Rivieras!

In all my cars I have had to remove the front seat and re-locate it back a bit farther than usual because I'm a little over 6'5" and they just didn't make cars back then for us with longer inseams...thats also why I love hardtop coupes...longer door and no visual obstructions when the seat is all the way back.

Which brings me to a couple of questions. I'm looking at either 64-65 or 71-72 Rivieras...not sure which one just yet, but I'm leaning more towards the 64-65. Is it possible to remount the driver's seat farther back?

I also see that the 64-65 Rivieras use a center-support bearing...which I HATED in my 60 Impala...kept blowing them out! Are they sturdier in the Rivs?

Anything in particular I should be looking out for, you know, anything peculiar to Rivieras that I might not know to look for? (For example, I've kinda ruled out the 64 because of the two-speed trans, and ruled out the 73 cuz I hate the front bumper.)

Lastly, for now anyway, I'm in Los Angeles, and I'd love to find one from down here where rust isnt an issue. Oh, and although I have all the tools and don't mind doing normal maintenance, I'm looking for one in good, reliable shape cuz I'm just getting a little too old to be rebuilding cars in my driveway! (Been there/Done that/Got the ripped, grease-stained T-shirts!). So if you know of one for sale close to here, I'd love to check it out! 

Here's a pic of my Caddy. I've had it for 13 years or so. Good, driver quality, not a show car, but nice. I'd like to find a Riviera of comparable quality. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this! 

IMG_7050.jpg

• Like 5

I can only address a couple of your concerns. Jim C., an ROA member who is about your height, moved the seats in his ‘63 back.  Hopefully one of two things will happen. 1) Jim will respond or 2) you can search this forum and find the thread that he posted that describes what he did. Secondly, even though the 64 shift quadrant only shows a D and an L, the 64 Riviera is equipped with a three speed TH400 transmission ( which Buick called an ST400 - for Super Turbine.)  Haven’t heard much about Rivieras blowing out the center carrier bearings. The 64 drive shaft uses CV joints rather than U-joints so they are really smooth. 

Good luck, hope you find what you’re looking for.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You more than likely know 60 year old AC on the 63-65 are not so easy to resurrect. They like R12 and that is what I use for my 63 Riviera. Converting to 134a is possible but remember these cars were not designed for 134a.

I repaired my AC with some help. I replaced all the components I could with new aftermarket. Exception was A6 Compressor from

ALMA Industries. Brand new with double pully works very good.

Im not HVAC trained nor mechanical, but I get the job done.

in my opinion shopping cars from club members might lead to a better field of choices. You would think member cars would be maintained. A common problem with 63-65 is the rear window is susceptible to leaks. It can be repaired. Parts are not as readily available as other GM cars. I own a 64 Chevy Impala SS 327 and Ive had no problems getting parts. There are numerous Riviera used parts suppliers. Like anything automotive there are some good and great suppliers. If you work to make good connections you can get what you need.

if your hot rod days are over the 63 has the DynaFlow transmission. Smooth smooth ride. A bit sluggish, but way strong enough for me.

Turbinator

• Like 2

Nice Caddy you have there!  I owned a '68 Eldorado for 20 years, and sold it to buy a '67 Corvette.

I've owned my '65 Riviera for 40 years and many here would agree that Buick made the Riviera into a very fine car back then. My Riviera went from daily driver to collector car and proved to be extremely reliable throughout.  This thanks to it's 'overbuilt' quality and sound engineering.  These cars are good old analog technology and are very restorable.  However, beware a car that needs a lot of work for they can be complex and costly to properly restore.

I don't know if there is more front leg room in the 71-72's, but you will find it limited in the '64-65 cars.  I'm six feet and there's plenty of room for me in my '65.  However, you're almost half a foot taller, so expect you won't like the knees in the chest feeling when driving this car.  Yes, Jim Cannon and others have posted here on how to move the front seats back by installing fairly simple brackets.  This is something I want to do for the passenger seat of my car which seems more limited in travel than the power driver's seat.

What to look out for when purchasing an older Riviera is a longer topic than I can cover here, and you'll find plenty of advice about that on this forum.  As far as the first generation Rivieras ('63 to '65), here are some things to watch for:

• Rust around back window - water gets into the trunk, and can rot out the body mounts beneath the trunk floor.
  • Rusty floorpans and rear quarters - inspect carefully.
  • Sagging rear springs - not a big deal as replacements are readily available.
  • Heater core is difficult and time consuming to access from inside the car. If it needs one you can get at it from the engine side with some cutting of the firewall.
  • A/C system on cars so equipped is somewhat complex and may need converting from Freon 12 to 134a. If the system has been opened to air then the restoration will be more difficult and costly.
  • Some brightwork trim is hard to obtain, e.g. halo moldings around headlghts on the '65.  Limited reproduction parts available as compared to Mustang Chevelle and Camaro.

Buy the best car you can afford vs. a rougher example needing a lot of work. The '65 is priced a bit higher than the '64, and the '65 Gran Sport is the most expensive.

The '64 is every bit as good a car as the '65, but the latter has a variable-pitch torque converter automatic, which gives it a slight performance advantage.

Join the Riviera Owners Association to access their online back issue database.  They've published articles specifically on what to look for when examining a prospective Riviera purchase.

If you find a car of interest to you, post pictures and details to this forum so that we can give you pertinent advice.

Good luck in your search!

• Like 2

On 12/28/2023 at 10:45 PM, MrMajstyk said:

Good, driver quality, not a show car, but nice. I'd like to find a Riviera of comparable quality. 

That seems to be a common description in the cars wanted category. The vision might be a $10,000-$12,000 that ends up around $20,000-$25,000 when it is sorted out. It doesn't take long. Raise your sights a bit and still expect a surprise or two.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum MrMajstyk. The floor mounts for seats in the 65 can be extended rearward with basic fabrication skills. 2-3 inches works for most. Doubt you'll have a problem with the 71/72.

Generally the center support bearing and mount needs replaced only once on 1st and 2nd generation Rivs and majority of time its because the rubber dries up and breaks apart.

Love that 68 Caddy with the stacked headlights. Those are awesome cars. I had a 70. Join ROA if you haven't already. You'll get access to a searchable index of articles from 39 years of Bi-monthly magazines among other benefits.   

• Like 2

Hi MrMajstyk, 

My experience with the Dynaflow in my '63 has been great, so I would'nt necessarily dismiss a '63.  It works fine, the car is a rocket ship. 

My power seat was inop when I got the car, so I simply removed the seat and re-set the front mounting hooks to suit my position, and drilled new holes in the floor pan.  I used some 1/16" steel re-inforcing plates underneath,  and voila!, a custom seat position.

There is a nice 64 on FB Marketplace right now in Winter Park, FL.  I realize that's a long way from Cali.  I also have a buddy here in Tampa (a member of this forum), who is putting together a nice 65, burgundy with black interior.  Rebuilt engine/trans, mostly new interior, it's going to be a really nice car when he's done.  He'll probably sell it....he likes to work on the cars, but moves them along and goes on to the next project. He's not a flipper, he does nice work.   Finally, I did have a carrier bearing failure in my car, but it sat 30 years in one position in the Florida heat. A local old-school mechanic replaced it for around $700 if I recall, and the car runs great. A couple of years later, I bought a 4-post lift, so if I'd had that in the shop I'd have replaced the bearing myself. 

113_2096.JPG

thumbnail_Riviera at Davis Isle.jpg

Edited by TampaRiv
grammar (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Thank you all for the really helpful replies! At this moment, I really have my hearrt set on a well-sorted out 65 GS...IF I can find one!  I know I'll pay a premium, but I believe it'll be worth it in the long run. But I dont want a show car...I actually want to DRIVE it! :)  So its also gotta have power windows and a/c.

I've been searching online...but its really tough to navigate. By the time I find an ad, they are already sold. And some of them have been listed for a long time...but they don't answer email inquiries. Then there are those where I see the exact same pics of the car...but its advertised in different ads in different cities, and of course THEY dont answer emails either...making me think there's some sort of fraud going on.

But hope springs eternal and the search continues...thanks again!

Edited by MrMajstyk (see edit history)

A feature that may speed your search is an app called searchtempest.com. It searches facebook, craigslist, and ebay ads

I entered 1965 Buick Riviera GS and found a bunch

Here is the results 

https://www.searchtempest.com/search?search_string=Buick Riviera GS&category=8&subcat=cta&autoMake=Buick&autoModel=Riviera GS&minYear=1965&maxYear=1965&cityselect=zip&location=80106&maxDist=50000#gsc.tab=0

23 hours ago, MrMajstyk said:

Thank you all for the really helpful replies! At this moment, I really have my hearrt set on a well-sorted out 65 GS...IF I can find one!  I know I'll pay a premium, but I believe it'll be worth it in the long run. But I dont want a show car...I actually want to DRIVE it! :)  So its also gotta have power windows and a/c.

I've been searching online...but its really tough to navigate. By the time I find an ad, they are already sold. And some of them have been listed for a long time...but they don't answer email inquiries. Then there are those where I see the exact same pics of the car...but its advertised in different ads in different cities, and of course THEY dont answer emails either...making me think there's some sort of fraud going on.

You got it - some listings are definitely scams.  There was one scam ad for a '65 GS running in our local Craiglist for a while, until I reported it. The seller was asking $14,500 for a very nice looking example.  One tip off was that the background vegetation didn't jibe with the trees that grow around here normally.  The other was the stupidly low price, designed to lure an unsuspecting buyer with 'hot pants' for this type of car.  My inquiries were met with vague responses to questions about the car and language implying some urgency for a quick sale.  Once the seller realized I knew something about Rivieras he stopped responding.  I reported the ad as fraudulent and it was pulled down.  But these guys soon post in another city hoping to find a sucker, and surely some do, or they wouldn't be running this type of scam.

On 1/2/2024 at 2:42 AM, MrMajstyk said:

Scam ads for the 65 GS seem more prevalent these days due to their desirability and recent appreciation in auction values. If you inquire on one of these digital ads and get an overly eager response and an immediate question like "where are you located?" this could indicate a scammer trying to determine which play to run from the scam playbook. When I spot these ads I've taken to reporting them as well. Same holds true for certain unobtainium parts; scammers play in the space too. In typical fashion, if 'deal' seems too good to be true it probably is. 

The good news is, you've found this group of experts and within it there is a tremendous amount of wisdom that you can lean on as I have done myself. A membership in the ROA is good idea as well so you can access special technical advisors like Tom Mooney if you find a 65 GS and want to establish it's authenticity since there are GS 'tribute' cars out there that may be falsely represented as authentic. My 2 cents.  

Good luck and have fun with your search! 

Edited by MrAG Riv (see edit history)

On 1/8/2024 at 12:28 PM, cjp69 said:

"71 GS" aka Brian, has owned both 71-72's and a 65, and he is 6 ft +, check with him.  I think he moved the seat back in his 65. 

#71GS.

Yes, 6’4”, no problems with the 71’s. Moved the 65 back 3”. All good. More room in the boat tails overall. 
Brian

On 12/28/2023 at 8:45 PM, MrMajstyk said:

Which brings me to a couple of questions. I'm looking at either 64-65 or 71-72 Rivieras...not sure which one just yet, but I'm leaning more towards the 64-65. Is it possible to remount the driver's seat farther back?

Good day.

Have a look over these threads, some have some pics, but you should get enough info to understand how others have moved their seats back...

Hope this helps.

Later,

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you for all the helpful replies! What a great bunch of people here!

The search continues. But due to all the scammers out there (and there are a BUNCH...most with the same m.o. "I am out of the country and have left the car with a broker who will hold your money in escrow until you receive the car...blah blah blah", And one car I saw advertised in Calif had the very same pictures from a dealer in the midwest) At this point, I think I'm going to try and find one from a "reputable" dealer, if there is such a thing. And I know I'll be paying a premium, but I want to find a really nice one! Seems like most of the desirable cars from Calif have ended up in other states anyway. Lots of them advertised as "originally a California car". And I'll be trying to find one that doesn't have the trunk filled with compressor equipment to run the airbags so she'll "lay frame". I'd rather have the original suspension please, thank you!

(Maybe something like this (but the FIRST thing I'd do is negotiate a better price, then get WHITEWALL TIRES!):

https://lonestar-classiccars.com/listing/9006-1965-buick-riviera/?fbclid=IwAR1bMohaIYZchppnWwC1lTJrk7Z2mvF8Hac9Pp_RRx-MdbvfgF8DKzUybO0

Again, thanks for all the replies!

Be patient, keep all channels open and check/watchlist periodically.

Isn't it always the case when you stumble upon a nicer car than the one you're committed to.

The ROA Riview.Listings.

Ya, scammers: "I'm out-of-town right now but . . . . . " BEWARE!

That Lonestar '65 is pretty.

A bit anomalous is the standard interior with deluxe interior bits including door panels (with the long strips of wood), and chromed window reveal moldings.  The steering wheel is aftermarket.  The "Riviera" script is missing from the trunk lid.  The car has red-line tires which aren't correct on a '65 Riv (these were first made available in '66), and the chromed wheel centers are from a '66 or later.  The passenger side mirror has been added.  No detailed engine pics, but from what I can see in the photo with the hood open, this Riv has an open element air cleaner which isn't stock, and the listing says it has an Edelbrock carb.  The 401 engine came from the factory with a snorkel (closed) air cleaner and an Carter 4-barrel carburetor.

Quibbling details on what otherwise looks to be a very nice car. 

On 2/21/2024 at 11:09 PM, MrMajstyk said:

At this point, I think I'm going to try and find one from a "reputable" dealer...

Consider joining the Riviera Owner's Association (https://www.rivowners.org/).  As a member, you'll receive the club magazine (the Riview).  In addition to all of the informative technical articles, you'll see detailed pictures of member's cars and classified ads with member cars for sale.  This forum is also a good place to hunt and ask about any car that you're considering to buy.

• Like 1

Any refurbished or restored car you look at with intent to purchase the best indicator is to look down into the window opening to see the condition of the fur strips, their attachment, and the general view of body work (over spray, primer, old undercoat, etc.). In most instances you can stop right there. Rush jobs, cheap jobs, unskilled jobs; they all show right there and I would be suspicious of any other work done.

Making that right can cost $1500 to $2500 on most low end cars. Those little shiny screw heads weren't visible in the showroom, either and you can tell when they are blackened with a felt tip pen.

That is my key point to check. I showed a friend that at a collector car auction once. He couldn't believe what he saw.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 2