1965 Buick Riviera non A/C car

john costa

Hello everyone, well I use to live in New England and then retired to Florida. I own a beautiful all original 

1965 Buick Riviera with a 401 nailhead that's been completely and professionally redone. However it is a non

A/C car, which was an option in those days. however living in Florida without A/C is not an option, for me anyway. I`ve called the top three A/C Co. Vintage, Classic, and Resto air. for a complete kit for the car, but none want to commit to the accuracy of a complete kit?? I am willing to pay for the kit (meaning everything). each company wants me to determine space measurements, choose kits and other questions I don't know? I have one mechanic that I trust, who says I have to get the COMPLETE kit. and he will install it. I am asking this forum for help/assistance to find a complete A/C system for my car. so I can enjoy the car in Florida. please and thank you all for your time

IMG_7500.jpeg

Edited by john costa
misspelling (see edit history)
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I have a folder with 6 MB of detailed pictures of this Vintage Aire installation and can't remember which forum member sent them to me. DR914? Maybe.

DSCF7161.JPG.ed7051fdfc74e81662af0b83561bf611.JPG

DSCF7158.JPG.b2a92d875e289d60cea18dce1f6caa94.JPG

That's Texrivs car,he was one of the first to install the vintageair system.John Costa go to the ROA forum and you'll find the help you need.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, john costa said:

Hello everyone, well I use to live in New England and then retired to Florida. I own a beautiful all original 

1965 Buick Riviera with a 401 nailhead that's been completely and professionally redone. However it is a non

A/C car, which was an option in those days. however living in Florida without A/C is not an option, for me anyway. I`ve called the top three A/C Co. Vintage, Classic, and Resto air. for a complete kit for the car, but none want to commit to the accuracy of a complete kit?? I am willing to pay for the kit (meaning everything). each company wants me to determine space measurements, choose kits and other questions I don't know? I have one mechanic that I trust, who says I have to get the COMPLETE kit. and he will install it. I am asking this forum for help/assistance to find a complete A/C system for my car. so I can enjoy the car in Florida. please and thank you all for your time

IMG_7500.jpeg

Your car sits nice. The search function at the page top will show that this topic has been addressed many times on this forum specifically in the Riviera Owners section. 

Just my typing in "Vintage Air" brings up 301 results.

Showing results for 'vintage air' in content posted in Buick Riviera. - Antique Automobile Club of America - Discussion Forums (aaca.org)

The kit, pro install, the other parts needed (fan shroud, rear compressor bracket) $$$$ makes me sweat just thinking about it😂 And I'm up here in New England, where apparently we don't need air conditioners🤣 Welcome to the forum, John

• Like 1

Thank you sir. Yes a little history on my car. It was bought brand new in Mystic Conn. we’re I’m from. By a wealthy Doctor who lived on an Island (Masons Island) as his family’s summer car, at his summer home. However opted out of the A/C options??? Unbelievable. I appreciate your time, and will look on the Buick forums to get the complete information thank you.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I have a folder with 6 MB of detailed pictures of this Vintage Aire installation and can't remember which forum member sent them to me. DR914? Maybe.

That was my 63. John, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you the photos plus other info.

3 minutes ago, TexRiv_63 said:

That was my 63. John, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you the photos plus other info.

This is a good gesture, and one of the things I like about this site.

However, the OP cannot access PMs yet.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 1:39 PM, 60FlatTop said:

What is DR914 to get the information, I’m sorry very new to this site, and computers in general. Thanks John Coata

The key is to get the interior to look right, hence you need to buy the controler and the panels with the blower nozzles   THEN you can get the rest aftermarket (compressor condenser evaporator) and have a clean installation that will work with 134.  That is what I did with my Dad's non air car although I used the original compressor,

IMG_3358.jpg

IMG_3360.jpg

IMG_3361.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dr914 said:

The key is to get the interior to look right, hence you need to buy the controler and the panels with the blower nozzles   THEN you can get the rest aftermarket (compressor condenser evaporator) and have a clean installation that will work with 134.  That is what I did with my Dad's non air car although I used the original compressor,

IMG_3358.jpg

IMG_3360.jpg

IMG_3361.jpg

I saw that I do not have those bezels under the radio. IMG_7522.jpeg.738551839796069169e3fdeb027d0a86.jpegIMG_7523.jpeg.c6db0b89b9f6b33be58b723293fbee4c.jpeg

If your savvy enough and patient you can do all of this work yourself.You will need the outer balls and center vent.Your car already has the fan shroud,the bracket that Vintageair sells mounts your new compressor and alternator.I did my own with upgraded chrome compressor for about $2200.Again look at previous discussion on this system.Bulldogdrivers info and installation was very helpful

The bracket for the compressor that Vintage sells is made by Alan Grove. I put one on last year when I discovered that the front mount tabs on my factory a/c bracket were broken off. The Sanden compressor mounts to it and eliminates the need for the rear compressor support bracket. It's a nice piece, and comes with all new hardware designed for the Sanden small compressors. All I had to do was paint and install; lined up perfectly.

• Like 1

As an aside, does anyone have the part number for the duct that can adapt the a/c duct hose to the black plastic rectangle that is behind my center vent? My VA system works good except for airflow in this area, because when it was installed, someone just cobbled the hose to the plastic with a/c tape. Not really the solution I'm looking for, and thought I read somewhere that they offered an adapter for the round hose to the rectangle box.

43 minutes ago, jframe said:

As an aside, does anyone have the part number for the duct that can adapt the a/c duct hose to the black plastic rectangle that is behind my center vent? My VA system works good except for airflow in this area, because when it was installed, someone just cobbled the hose to the plastic with a/c tape. Not really the solution I'm looking for, and thought I read somewhere that they offered an adapter for the round hose to the rectangle box.

Yes there is,I used one on my 63 install.Im pretty sure I ordered it from vintage air?I'll do some research and get back to you.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jframe said:

What I did back in 2008 was purchase two of the small VA under dash vents and removed the back sections that the round hoses attach to. I then attached them to the rear of the OEM vent housing with clear silicone. Worked great.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 9:35 AM, dr914 said:

That is what I did with my Dad's non air car although I used the original compressor,

So, what is the deal with the rear A6 AC Compressor bracket with cast valve cover again? I recall there's a conflict. A Special 2X4 Bracket?

Cast valve covers are taller and more square at the top. Sheet metal covers are shorter and rounder at the top. Regular bracket can be modified to work. Have to remove material on the inside of the bracket on three sides. Close to a quarter inch at the top of the arch of the bracket. Work slow and check often for clearance.

On 12/12/2023 at 6:45 PM, BulldogDriver said:

For aluminum valve covers there was a different rear bracket that is rare from what I have seen.

So I thought. I would like to avoid modifying my bracket especially for when I make my in-operable AC a project which may entail a 508 style Sanden SD5H14 compressor.

Reason, I may try to exchange my new camshaft for something else at Barrett Jackson next month. Cast Valve covers come to mind.

On 12/5/2023 at 6:49 AM, BulldogDriver said:

When I have time I’ll post the parts I used to install a  intake Air system in mine.

On 12/5/2023 at 9:35 AM, dr914 said:

Quick answer to original question, there's no AC KIT for 1st generation Rivieras. You already have a Fan shroud. So, to continue, yes, you'll need OE Vents for correct look. Desert Valley Auto has dashboard vents to start the project. Beware, wrecking yard quality.

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)

Vintage air offers ball style vents as well as a rectangular dual center vent that can be retrofitted.  A complete unit.  Compressor, condenser, drier, hoses, evaporator, hoses and connectors, vents, and a control panel.  Call them and ask for a catalog. There is no specific kit for the Riviera so you’ll have to build one from a universal kit.

On 12/5/2023 at 8:49 AM, BulldogDriver said:

When I have time I’ll post the parts I used to install a  intake Air system in mine. 

Here is the list of parts I used in my installation of Vintage Air AC.

671400-VUZ- Gen IV Magnum- Heat, Cool & Defrost Model.

63016-VUL- Double louver assembly 11.375”x2.5”. For2.5”hose

49870-VCI- $9.75- 2.5”to 3” hose adapter

151102- Buick 401/425 Nailhead (1963-65 Riviera only) (passenger-side)

04808-VUA- Double V-groove pulley, standard finish Sanden SD 508 Compressor, the larger compressor was strongly suggested not to use

07322-VUC- Painted drier with binary switch and mounting hardware

071130- Heavy Duty Double-strap drier mount with welded stud, washers, and nut

03263-VUC- Condenser with brackets, 14”tall x 24”wide x .83” thick

112002-SUA- SureFitsystem “Cable Converter” slide pot unit Qty-3

StreamLine Aluminum Bulkhead Plates - pick what you want

623013-VUA- for Gen II Super Smooth diverter duct for Super directs heater air to left side of car when evaporator is mounted to extreme right side. Accepts 2” hose. Qty-2 for redirecting floor vents further to the left and right of trans tunnel and center console

Hoses for ac and heater would be determined by how you want to install them. I did not see any reason to use hard lines anywhere and also  I ran the heater hoses down between the right side intake and cylinder head. A 90* hose that reduces 3/4” to 5/8” would be Gates  #18075 -60”.

Center vents you have to modify the V/A part. They sand down fairly easily and I used pieces of aluminum for the sides to hold them onto the center vent. 

I would strongly suggest that you think about how you want the floor vents to be. If left as from V/A, the air doesn’t get past the center console. I made brackets to mount on the evaporator and on the driver’s side modified the V/A part. You do want to mount the adapter and hoses before mounting the evaporator permanently. 

If do a search on me I think anything not explained here will be in my other posts. If not just ask and I’ll explain.

Ray

IMG_2644.jpeg

IMG_2187.jpeg

IMG_2186.jpeg

IMG_2180.jpeg

IMG_2178.jpeg

IMG_0771.jpeg

IMG_0770.jpeg

IMG_1634.jpeg

IMG_1583.jpeg

IMG_1673.jpeg

IMG_1671.jpeg