circa 1930 sedan

adam1982

Some semblance to Jordan, ca. '29.  The hood may have had the sides cut out and the radiator shell may be missing, can't tell for sure what the shiny thing where a cap would go is.  Wheels with fine spokes could be right, perhaps the large hubcaps are from another car.  Houses in the background are as dilapidated as the car, but what interesting architectural features.

• Like 2

A tough challenge, what is the car in front of it?  Looks like it was a sedan and may have had wood spoke wheels.  The bumpers and beltline are clues that should help.  
Since both cars are ca. '29-'30'ish the Studebaker seems to be too beat up for this to be a picture from the depths of the depression but rather somewhat later.  

Edited by Dave Henderson (see edit history)

4 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

28 hudson ?

Well, not 28, but body style similar to 1930 Hudson except for:

Door hinges exposed

Door window glass, severely tapered, Hudson's were rectangular.

Rear window not Oval

Highly raised bead shape around window reveals.

No raised bead  on splash apron ( between body and running board.)

Different spring attachment to LR  frame.

///////////////////// 

Similarities to Hudson: 

Raised triangular shaped character line separating upper and lower body. 1930 only

Door handle mounted in center of character line  29 and 30 

Brown taillight lens used by Hudson in 28 and 29 not 30 or 31

Headlight bucket appears shaped like 30 Hudson

But not a Hudson that I can see.

Would like to know what it is too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2023 at 12:35 PM, Dave Henderson said:

A tough challenge, what is the car in front of it?  Looks like it was a sedan and may have had wood spoke wheels.  The bumpers and beltline are clues that should help.  
Since both cars are ca. '29-'30'ish the Studebaker seems to be too beat up for this to be a picture from the depths of the depression but rather somewhat later.  

I seem to make out a 36 on the tag. So, it's definitely after that and before WWII. The reason I say before WWII is the scrap drives would have scooped these up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hook said:

I seem to make out a 36 on the tag. So, it's definitely after that and before WWII. The reason I say before WWII is the scrap drives would have scooped these up.

Because of wartime shortages of cars some even worse than these, usually common cars from the big 3, were fixed up and put back in service with parts supplied by Sears Roebuck, Montgomery Ward, Warshawsky, Western Auto, Pep Boys, and junkyards.  I get a kick out of looking at car parts in a '43 Sears catalog.  Prices?  Rebuilt EV8 engines , '32's $64.95, '39-'41's $73.95,  Model A's $42.95!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dave Henderson said:

Because of wartime shortages of cars some even worse than these, usually common cars from the big 3, were fixed up and put back in service with parts supplied by Sears Roebuck, Montgomery Ward, Warshawsky, Western Auto, Pep Boys, and junkyards.  I get a kick out of looking at car parts in a '43 Sears catalog.  Prices?  Rebuilt EV8 engines , '32's $64.95, '39-'41's $73.95,  Model A's $42.95!

Those prices are fantastic today but, at the time was still a good chunk of change. The biggest problem for cars during the war was not the parts but, the tires. The whole reason for war time gas rationing was based on tires (rubber that came from trees and in un-available locations) I've talked to many junk yard owners, 60 years ago now, that had managed to put tires inside of tires to drive on and would sell them to their customers. Living today in a throw away society, people just can't imagine doing things like that or scraping together junk to use. 

Canada must have had better pretend rubber as I have 2 tires on my IHC truck that I still use that are S3 and were on it in 1951 when we bought the truck.  Of course they are hard as stone, but still work. 

On 12/5/2023 at 8:27 AM, hook said:

Those prices are fantastic today but, at the time was still a good chunk of change. The biggest problem for cars during the war was not the parts but, the tires. The whole reason for war time gas rationing was based on tires (rubber that came from trees and in un-available locations) I've talked to many junk yard owners, 60 years ago now, that had managed to put tires inside of tires to drive on and would sell them to their customers. Living today in a throw away society, people just can't imagine doing things like that or scraping together junk to use. 

At their low point running Model A's were characteristically 50 dollar cars.  But during WWII things changed, the Office of Price Administration had to impose a maximum price for them at $225. That made a $42.95 rebuilt engine for one reasonable. 
Because 19 and 21 inch tires became more difficult to find, scads of A's were changed over to '35 Ford wire wheels that took 16" tires.  However, to obtain new ones you still had to deal with the rationing board.  And it was illegal to have any extra tires!

Definitely a 1930 Studebaker Commander. Probably a model FD Eight but could be a model GJ Six. The two were identical except for the drive train and the "6" or "8" in the front cross bar (not visible in this image). Have 753 images of this series in my computer files. One shown below. 

complete email.jpg