NOT MINE - 1918 Buick e 45 For Sale in Harleysville, PA - $8500

**I have no affiliation to the car or the listing**

Listing Info:

"No rust always  garage kept

Good mechanical condition. 

Rebuilt transmission. 

All brakes and brake systems new or rebuild. 

New carburetor. 

Tires have hardly any miles on them.

New clock.

New leather rear seat.

New battery box.

Needs paint if you choose  to.

8500 obo "

Listing Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/723003925907766/?ref=saved&referral_code=null

Seller Info: Jeff Simms (https://www.facebook.com/jeff.simms)

There is a video of the car if you follow the link 

image.png.f93cccd80e80e437ffccc5eead54c484.png

image.png.ee2b6decc239fa3d0d1db436f1b4509c.png

image.png.d9b1153b5f65f1fcdd3a91260b0fc5c9.png

image.png.e4dae1701b11e06d90b5c69e6633a9da.png

image.png.dc313f189504ab2a23df82985d41f8aa.png

image.png.860cfcdaf119994a72c714c77b55f16e.png

image.png.aa9ba834f44475fe4b5052ee3961d41c.png

image.png.86f665ee15861d3f7903b1f5c36c65ec.png

• Like 5

5 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

Truly a shame about how these cars are stored after they have been restored and left to sit for many years. Also sad about the torn top.

The one photo probably from the 1970s shows new paint, tires, and top.

I don't look nearly as good as i did in the 1970's either.........

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Terry Y said:

I don't look nearly as good as i did in the 1970's either.........

Yes, but proper storage goes a long way toward preservation.    I do wonder about a different mindset back then that said these were old cars but not necessarily "special" cars worthy of better storage.  Not sure. 

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)

Seriously, 

Between this Buick and the 1920 Dodge Brothers on Long Island, which one would you gentlemen go for?             

Both touring cars. 

The Dodge is a 12 volt electrical system and a 4 cylinder , the Buick is a 6 cylinder  overhead valve, The Dodge is in much better shape, but the Buick is  generally  more desirable. 

Neither is a pre-1916 so not in that club of "brass era"     Both are very inexpensive to buy in --and are running cars. Not sure how well this Buick runs, but it Runs.

It is really an opportunity.  Buick wise, it would be "back to the future"   Like the 1970's and earlier, you would have to do the prep and paint YOURSELF.  And the prep is going to be a HEAVY LIFT   Lots of stripping and miserable prep work.  But I guess part of the purpose of a hobby is to pass the time. And learn along the way. Even if it is relearning some things you were happy to forget. LOL 

On 11/21/2023 at 3:42 AM, 28StutzCabriolet said:

I agree. Looks like a great deal. Just needs love.

5 hours ago, Terry Y said:

It is really an opportunity.  Buick wise, it would be "back to the future"   Like the 1970's and earlier, you would have to do the prep and paint YOURSELF.  And the prep is going to be a HEAVY LIFT   Lots of stripping and miserable prep work.

Just give it a good clean and full mechanical service.

Then drive it.  Any other money spent is the same as throwing $$ away.

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have never owned either one, however, over the years I have known a bunch of people owning and extensively touring late 1910s to mid 1920s Buicks and Dodge Brothers automobiles. Generally speaking, I think the Buick sixes are about ten mph faster than the Four cylinder Dodge Brothers cars. (To be clear, I have never known anyone with one of the last Fast Four Dodges, so cannot comment much on them, though I have heard they are a bit faster than the earlier Dodges?) The Buick fours of the early 1920s are about halfway between the Dodge and Buick sixes. Basically, all the Buick models that era are impressive driving cars relative to the era.

I have driven quite a few cars with two wheel brakes, and personally do not fear them. Pay close attention to everything around you, keep some extra room in front of you (yes, the modern drivers will cut in front of you often, live with it!), KNOW your car's braking limits, and be very careful.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

I have never owned either one, however, over the years I have known a bunch of people owning and extensively touring late 1910s to mid 1920s Buicks and Dodge Brothers automobiles. Generally speaking, I think the Buick sixes are about ten mph faster than the Four cylinder Dodge Brothers cars. (To be clear, I have never known anyone with one of the last Fast Four Dodges, so cannot comment much on them, though I have heard they are a bit faster than the earlier Dodges?) The Buick fours of the early 1920s are about halfway between the Dodge and Buick sixes. Basically, all the Buick models that era are impressive driving cars relative to the era.

I have driven quite a few cars with two wheel brakes, and personally do not fear them. Pay close attention to everything around you, keep some extra room in front of you (yes, the modern drivers will cut in front of you often, live with it!), KNOW your car's braking limits, and be very careful.

Wayne , Thanks for that impute. 10 MPH is a 25% increase in speed so its huge. I need to run at 45 mph  on the highway without the motor thrashing like its going to cast its withers.  I like the 6 cyls, the open valve train  and just the looks  of the Buick.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mikewest said:

Ive always admired these teens 6 cyl Buicks. Im curious what a comfortable road speed is for it? I had a 1924 Dodge Brothers roadster , sold it last fall as the car wasn't fast enough to suite me. At 45 it sounded like it was going to blow.

I can't speak specifically for Buicks, but road speeds

were much lower in the 1910's, as you probably know.

My Locomobile (1916 and 62 horsepower) loves 25-35

miles per hour on country roads.  Why?  Because in

1916 the state speed limit in Penna. was 24 m.p.h. on the

open highway, and 12 m.p.h. around town.  One state's

rules stated that 30 m.p.h. was "prima facie evidence of

excess."  A speed of 45 in 1916 would have been reckless!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I can't speak specifically for Buicks, but road speeds

were much lower in the 1910's, as you probably know.

My Locomobile (1916 and 62 horsepower) loves 25-35

miles per hour on country roads.  Why?  Because in

1916 the state speed limit in Penna. was 24 m.p.h. on the

open highway, and 12 m.p.h. around town.  One state's

rules stated that 30 m.p.h. was "prima facie evidence of

excess."  A speed of 45 in 1916 would have been reckless!

EXACTLY ... but we dont drive on dirt roads anymore. Today its more reckless and dangerous to to drive  12-30mph on a highway.  Id fear that some jerk with a big truck would run over me from the rear.  Think about it, any good brass era Model T Ford will run 45 without any problem. Everybody knows what the speed limit was the=n and why they drove that  slow. 

• Like 1

I have a 1915 Buick which has the big 331 overhead valve engine, it is model C-55 and it has “long legs”.  Engine sings a happy song at 50 mph at 55 not so much. Brakes are scary at anything above 45 unless you drive an early Pierce arrow, if you do you will swear that my Buick has antilock and a power booster. 
I really only use the extra power on hills or trying to get away from some idiot.  I generally cruise at 48 mph uphill or down.

IMG_2134.jpeg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ramair said:

Brakes are scary at anything above 45 unless you drive an early Pierce arrow, if you do you will swear that my Buick has antilock and a power booster. 

Whatchu talking about, Michael?  Just put 100 miles on my 1918 Pierce with 2-wheel brakes today including at least 50 miles on multi-lane freeways at 50-55.  Brakes not an issue, just apply hand brake (external-contracting, 3x as much stopping power as internal-expanding foot brake according to the Seat of My Pants) while also apply foot brake (internal expanding) for a "sincere" stop.  We are our own ABS sensors and computers easing hand brakes to avoid locking up those skinny tires.  You're welcome to drive mine anytime.

BTW, thanks for just joining the NorCal Region of the Pierce-Arrow Society!  We'll find you one!

• Like 2

George, it must be a hand/eye/coordination thing.

When I am in a early Pierce I am sitting on the driver seat which is on the right side (wrong side), but I am left handed, now I am asking my right hand to shift, operate the hand brake and occasionally help turn the steering wheel, well at least my left hand can retard spark on steep hills to help slow down. By the way I did find a car, well at least the first letter starts with a “P”, don’t worry I won’t ask for a refund from Pierce society, of course you have the right to give me the boot!

IMG_3809.jpeg

• Like 1

@ramair a RHD Pierce would teach you to be ambidextrous or at least ambidubious.....

Come to our NorCal PAS holiday brunch on Dec 9 and meet my good friend and neighbor Jeff M who is Packard-centric and whose 1937 12 coupe took 2nd at Pebble a couple of years ago, but is a Frequent Flier at PAS annual meets despite not owning a Pierce.  I keep my tall 1918 in his tall garage and in exchange he keeps a Packard one of my garages that's a 2 minute walk from his home.

Even I have to like your Packard, especially the club sedan body style.

1 hour ago, ramair said:

George, it must be a hand/eye/coordination thing.

When I am in a early Pierce I am sitting on the driver seat which is on the right side (wrong side), but I am left handed, now I am asking my right hand to shift, operate the hand brake and occasionally help turn the steering wheel, well at least my left hand can retard spark on steep hills to help slow down. By the way I did find a car, well at least the first letter starts with a “P”, don’t worry I won’t ask for a refund from Pierce society, of course you have the right to give me the boot!

IMG_3809.jpeg

I saw this car advertised and was impressed.  A beautiful car!  Congratulations!