How do you determine if your car is "rare"?

7th Son

I was talking with a new friend at work about classics a few weeks ago and we agreed we would try and help each other out while looking for parts. He asked me what kind of truck I had and I was going to help him search for a running project (his taste is late 1940s Nash Art Deco type stuff).

Fast forward to a couple of days ago, he approached me with purpose and said "yeah, that truck you have is impossible to find parts for".... 

Some folks would stop right there and think to themselves "I have a really rare vehicle!".

Now I know my truck is not all that rare even though not many survived (I know of 5 so far), but it's also true that it's not terribly common. 
I'm also aware that a very small portion of the population show an interest in very low powered panels in general so if I ever do decide to sell it my monetary expectations will be in line with reality, no matter how original or perfectly restored it might be someday. Let's face it, not many folks can handle all 27hp my pre-Mopar can throw at them anyway ;) 

It's definitely not rare or valuable, but it's priceless in my opinion and that's all that matters..... 

Are there more rare and valuable cars and trucks out there? Oh yeah, but who cares what makes it rare as long as you have fun with it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My H/O. 

1 of 2499 made. 
1 of 1165 white and gold. 
1 of ?? Made w/Califonia emmissions. 
1 of 3 I have seen. (1 in 1980, 1 in junk yard and mine)

But it is a 1of 1. 
The only 1 this 1 owns. 
I will keep driving it till I see another, then it will be less rare. 
It will become 1 of 4 I have seen then. 

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 8:20 AM, Walt G said:

I completely agree with this statement. It seems so many people need to have something "rare" be it a vehicle, or anything else , just to get them noticed so they can brag about it and be a level above others. Who cares, does that really matter ?  Be happy with what you have, don't flaunt it in anyones face, share the object, knowledge and then take satisfaction that you made someone else happy or have a good day when they weren't .  Life is short , no guarantee you will be here tomorrow .

Walt, the only reason I have ended up with a few  " rare " cars is that for the sort of car they are the rareness made them a lot cheaper than the better known , but very similar sort of car they were built to compete in the market place against. No quest for bragging rights, just pure market value and what I could afford.

My Buckler for example, even when completed  it sells for about 1/2 or less than an early Elva , or 1/3 of an early Lotus . I bought mine as a rough project for less than 1/10 of what a similar condition Lotus or Elva would go for these days. But close to an early Lotus in everything but value, and actually better engineered than an early Elva. By the mid 1960's both Elva and Lotus truly great cars , Buckler ended with the owner of the company's rapid health decline and eventual death in about 1962. Mine dates from around 1959 and was a very well engineered and built car. You have probably never heard of Buckler, but here is the cover of a great book that details the company's history.image.png.00acbab727de0283385fbd91ef1df748.png

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

I've always consider rare in terms of cars to mean at least less than triple digit numbers (less than 100) and honestly for me personally, less than 50 examples left. 

I do see many cars listed as "rare" when I would consider them more uncommon than anything - for example I used to own a 1966 Chrysler 300 Convertible and then made 2500 of these (a decently low production number) and some people therefore would call it rare, yet I could fairly easily look online and find several DIFFERENT examples that were for sale or had recently been for sale. That was my big marker, if I could easily find a half dozen or so different examples that had been on the market recently (last year or so) I would tend to say the car isn't "rare" but rather uncommon. Obviously, there are potential exceptions, but I digress. 

Rarity and value also do not necessarily go hand in hand. I own a 1918 Bell Motor Car, there are two 1917 Bell cars known to exists and then mine (so mine is technically the only 1918 Bell known) - does that make it rare? YES Does that make it special? To me, YES, to most other people its just another of the many orphan prewar cars out there. Is it valuable? Once it's complete, not particularly. At least not in the grand scheme of things, but that car was made local to me and I enjoy history (and thigs that are different) so here we are. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Edited by TheYorkBell (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheYorkBell said:

Is it valuable? Once it's complete, not particularly. At least not in the grand scheme of things, but that car was made local to me and I enjoy history (and thigs that are different) so here we are. 

My thought as well, different is good makes you think and appreciate who wanted to make it in the first place, and if local even better as you may be able to pass by the place it was made in , that is kinda neat.

• Like 1

Natural attrition means that the older the car the more likely it is to be 'rare'. It seems that the lower survival rates, at least for American cars, is among the middle price models. The are lots of Ford Ts and Chevs at the lower end, and lots of Duesenbergs and Pierce-Arrows, although of course with the high price cars being mostly custom-bodied you could argue they are all one of one.

An example of a rare middle price model is my 1929 Studebaker Director cabriolet. It is the only survivor of two imported to NZ. I think there may be four left in the US - sold there are Dictators - out of an unknown number built but likely to have been several hundred. Mine is body #457. The production run was only from June to October of 1928. There was no cabriolet in either the previous or subsequent models. I should add that typically of the time of flexible naming of body styles the top does not fold down. If it was a Ford it would be a Sport Coupe.

It would have been straight forward enough to do the right hand drive models to special order as they already built right hand drive models of other body styles.  The only 'oddity' is that the golf bag door is on the 'wrong' side. It was restored in the 1980s and I bought it from the owner's estate in 2020. Next project is to get it pinstriped, and then build another engine.

Of course, as has likely been noted elsewhere, rarity does not necessarily translate into more value.

vauxnut Flickr vcc coffee and cars 150821 resize s.jpg

classic_workshop_christchurch_vintage_3.jpg

This 1931 Studebaker Six roadster is I believe one of only four survivors of the model, which was the cheapest on the Studebaker line that year. In contrast, of the more desirable President Four Seasons roadster as seen parked next the Six there are more than 50 survivors, although this is likely the only right hand drive one. The Six was imported from the US about 20 years ago and remains left hand drive.

31 6STUDE at Wanganui Sath Flkr Jan 2012.jpg

I think there are only ten survivors of the 1933 Studebaker President Speedway model in all body styles - out of 635 built - and this is the only right hand drive seven passenger sedan.

33 MUZEUM Napier 2009 Flkr.jpg

This 1929 Graham-Paige 612 coupe carries the plate ONLY I. I don't know the car personally but I guess it is the only right hand drive example of the model.

29 ONLYI 612 coupe Warren Derbie photo VCC fb 0720.jpg

• Like 6

So long as my antique car is secure in my yard, they are part of a collection, and that makes them “collectible”, and since they are in my yard that makes them “common”.

However, if one of my cars disappears from my yard, and I didn’t take it, it becomes “rare” and may be considered “scarce”…….to me and my yard, anyway.

But, to the person who now possesses my car, it is no longer “rare” or “scarce” and, as a fact, has became “common.

Does that mean that “collectible”, “rare”, “scarce” and “common” are words better left to Merriam-Webster for definition, rather than making it a individual interpretation?

Jack

• Like 1

I  have a 1928 Dodge Senior. The serial number on the engine block, The metal plate on the wood sill and the floor plate have few numbers, 7 at  most. Parts for this 4 door sedan are hard to come by. The few that pops up on line, the cost is prohibitive . I have been messaging members for parts. No luck. Now I do not believe this car is rare, it is just unique in the sense parts are hard to come by. Rare ?  Not by any stretch of the imagination. What makes these cars exceptional is the machining of components is out of this world for that period in time.

• Like 1

Pre War Gold Stars easily qualify for the  "rare " description. Quite rare AND very desirable if you ask me !  Only one or two in these parts , plus a fair number of the various post war Gold Stars. I have a 1954 series BB machine hiding in boxes and shelves. Reasonably rare in itself .

• Like 1

Well, I define the word "rare" as it is defined.

(of a thing) not found in large numbers and consequently of interest or value. (Oxford dictionary)

Hell, my three "daily" drivers are also rare. I have only seen one 96 VW passat TDI variant in 20 years, 3-4 98 VW Jetta TDIs, and no 92 Dodge Cummins Power Wagon W250 LEs during the same period.

By definition of course.  Of "interest" to me at least, and the folks who approach me every now an then to inquire about the cars and leave their #'s with me in case I sell.

Edited by PWN (see edit history)

I grew up poor. Any car that actually started and stayed running the entire trip was rare 😂

It's funny but I didn't have a reliable car until 2018...and then it was lost in an accident in May of this year. Compared to the vast majority of the members of this forum I'm still poor 😂. I know there are people a lot worse off than I am however. Maybe if I stopped buying so many models and diecasts and trading cards I could even afford an old car. The odds of me having enough willpower to do that is slim, even though I already had to rent a storage unit to hold them 😂

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Billy Kingsley said:

I grew up poor.

When I was growing up and still living at home, I was convinced we were poor.

Every time I bought home an old TV or hi-fi someone was throwing away, the neighbors would say, "Your poor mom!"    And when I got to driving age, and started bringing home $50 cars, the neighbors would say things like, "I don't envy your poor mom!"  Yep, I heard 'poor mom' so often, I really thought I was poor!

Craig

• Haha 6

• 2 weeks later...

I basically concur with the majority of interpretations of that ubiquitous word RARE. I personally interpret it as having a car or something that is unlikely to have another one similarly fitted slide up and park beside you at ANY car show. Here is my 1915 Dodge Brothers roadster fitted with a bunch of 'Period' accessories. The rarest and most expensive is the REX Winter Top which cost nearly $200.00 back in the day. The 5 mph spring loaded Buckeye front bumper was on the car when I bought it. So I created patterns and had a set cast and fitted for the rear to emulate the function of the one on the front. YES I made those but did so in an ohmage to the front set. Those Turn signals were located at various swap meets. They were made in '17 in San Fransisco Ca. by the DIAMOND Electric Signal Co.  It took a few years to complete the set of four with the proper controller.  And YES I also created patterns and cast that radiator mascot. It was my answer to a Chrysler Commercial in which I took issue with their scaling. It is one of a kind. SO. OOPS I forgot one more rare DB accessory That would be the R.H. Hassler coil spring shock absorbers. These look like those you see at swap meets but are beefier and the mounting castings are specifically designed for the Dodge Brothers chassis instead of those for the FORDs  I must say since installing those Hasslers I have not noticed a significant difference in the ride BUT I do not regularly drive on bumpy dirt roads as a rule.   SO Continue to enjoy your RARE whatever cars and keep having fun!

Griots Garage show 003.jpg

My '15 rear bumper.jpg

DB Radiator Mascot 02.jpg

My '15 front bumper .jpg

Hassler shocks Front.jpg

Hassler shocks Rear.jpg

Edited by RAH
Forgot another accesory. (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hemi Joel said:

If it takes a year or more of diligent  searching to find one that is for sale, I would consider it rare.

Very subjective.    What is your definition of a "diligent search"?

Does a basket case example that you find on the market less than a month after the search count? (You pass on it because you don't want to spend the next decade or more restoring it, but its RARE!)  Or at the opposite end of the scale, a Pebble Beach winner that's currently on the market, but the seller may be asking too much for it?  (You pass on it because you're not willing to pay his firm asking price, and know its well above market value, but its RARE!)  Or do you mean a drivable car, either unrestored or 'older-restored-but-now-#2' that happens to be up for sale and within your budget and what YOU want over a year later?

Craig