What Do Make Of This Guy? FM Marketplace Ad for a DeSoto

DrumBob

A few months ago, I posted that I had found an old DeSoto I was interested in, but the seller, who is local, wanted me to show up with $6500 in my pocket on a Saturday morning. I refused to go, fearing the worst. Over two months has gone by, and he hasn't sold the car. He has it listed in two towns at $6500, and then in one of the same towns for $8500. I have attached one of his ads from FB Marketplace. If anybody wants to look for it, it's on the North Jersey FB site. 

I don't know what to make of this guy. I don't know whether it's a scam or not, and I can't make sense of this guy's thought process. If you type in DeSoto on the top left, you'll see he has it listed in multiple places for two prices. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1339190390361346/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A731ea686-ff71-4f9a-8c65-f5b74e5113de

I see facebook marketplace and craigslist ads all the time for the same items with multiple prices. Maybe it's a fishing expedition to see what price a potential buyer responds to or maybe the seller dropped the price and never bothered to go back and delete the old ads. That alone doesn't necessarily indicate a scam. 

You could always go look at it and take a trusted friend or two along (and I do mean a person, not a firearm) so that you're not there by yourself. Keep cell phones handy. 

You also don't have to show up with the cash in your pocket. You can always run to the bank and get the money once you strike a deal if you are concerned about carrying cash on the initial visit. Or insist on doing business in some public or high security place like at a police station (this is common these days for online deals, though cars are probably on the high end). 

But, if you have a bad feeling about the whole thing, then it might be better to just pass on it and wait for the next one. Trust your gut. 

• Like 5

Looks like a 12v conversion has been done.  If the guy won’t take a deposit to hold it, move on.  With the car for sale this long he obviously has some issues going on that buyers like you sense and avoid.  Some sellers are their own worst enemy.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

This is one of the seller reviews.  As AJ says, run.

Screenshot2023-10-16at6_25_54PM.png.42c63ee64bd9ce164dbac5886b26966d.png

Is this actually a review of the seller of the DeSoto? Pretty bad. I just had a bad feeling about the whole thing. I'd buy the car if it was priced right and the seller seemed like a straight up guy. I run into scammers all the time on FB Marketplace when I sell music gear. It's an epidemic. 

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to What Do Make Of This Guy? FM Marketplace Ad for a DeSoto

There was a report awhile back,don't remember where I heard it or read it,about a couple that went out to buy a classic Mustang,it was $30,000 cash only,the guy didn't have any car,killed them and took their cash. He was quickly traced and caught because of the calls and emails,and probably in prison for many decades. So you have to be pretty careful. In some instances and locations you can hire an off-duty cop or sheriff deputy to go along. Different circumstances but for many years I owned an old bldg across town. Crummy motel next door changed hands and they started renting to people with dogs,told the people to just go next door to walk them. Dog poop built up,I put up signs,ran people off,nothing helped. So I hired an off-duty cop that was sympathetic,if they walked over there,the dog took a dump and they didn't pick it up,he wrote them a $150 ticket. Sometimes he would be on the property,sometimes across the street,after he cited seven or eight people,that dog-walking there came to a screeching halt.

From the Seller's Facebook Ad:

Screenshot2023-10-17at6_07_25AM.png.194a4f7c49c43b28d5ffebb43ba7953f.png

I realize that placing an ad in Facebook Marketplace can be cumbersome and finicky.  Some of the descriptive terms we might want to use regarding options or model names are sometimes not possible on FB.

I'm having a hard time understanding why the exterior color is called turquoise.  Maybe maroon or burgundy aren't listed as available choices.  But, turquoise?  Even red would be closer than turquoise.  It makes me wonder if the seller had used this same text for another listing with a turquoise car.

Frequent oil change every one thousand-two thousand miles?  Really?

Crystal headlights?  

This seller is trying too hard.  Don't bite.

Edited by Dosmo (see edit history)

Neither the battery nor the radiator look brand new but I suppose they were at one time... I once had a seller exclaim the battery was new on a car I had bought even though one of the posts was bulging out the top of the case.

I'd say skip it and find another, there are lots of other Desoto's of this era to choose from. 

• Like 1

I have to tell my story again. Last year I found a new replacement tailgate for my Silverado listed at a great price, $100, on Martetplace. I called the seller and he said it came with a truck he bought and never used it. He was an hour away and I told him I would come for it.

I Goggled his name and found a whole bunch of local articles about him being arrested for abducting his estranged wife at gunpoint. Red flags in my book. I called him back and asked "How about if we meet at a convenient store I found near you?" He said OK. When we met he commented on my Avalanche and we talked about trucks for a few minutes. Things went fine. As I drove home I thought  He seemed like a nice guy. I know I'm a nice guy. That wife of his has to be something to avoid.

• Like 3

DrumBob:

Avoid this seller!  There are still plenty of very decent Mopars in that era on the market for the same or less money.   Actually, the same is true for almost all the then medium-priced four door sedans from the Big Three and Independent automakers:  there is no serious demand for any of them so you can afford to be choosy.

Steve 

• Like 1