Time for another shop/work truck

pkhammer

Below is a photo of my old '42 Ford shop truck above Gatlinburg, TN. Apologies to the purists, but the truck although pretty stock looking was sporting a 428 FE, 4-speed and 9 inch rear end. It's single digit MPG was one reason I eventually got rid of it. Having recently sold a couple of cars, I think it's time to replace my old shop truck with something a little more suitable to my current tastes which means STOCK. Although I realize I'm opening up a big can of worms by asking opinions, I enjoy hearing from my fellow enthusiasts. Here are some of my thoughts on possible candidates for a new shop truck. Oh, and I'm done with projects for a while. I want something that needs only gas!

1930-1931 Model A -I am a model A Ford guy but I've never had a pickup. My desire for an open car (or truck) could also possibly be satisfied with a roadster pickup. A lot of the parts I buy and sell are also model A Ford.

1933-1941 Ford -All of these trucks appeal to me. Great style and good parts availability. Flathead V8 doesn't hurt either.

1933-1938 Dodge -The 1933-1934 suicide door pickups I think are especially attractive. Probably my favorite from a purely aesthetic standpoint.

1936-1938 Plymouth -Beautiful trucks and rare too. I'd love to own one.

1937-1938 Reo/Mack Jr. -Also a great style but so scarce I'm a bit afraid of parts availability. 

1934-1939 Hudson Terraplane -Rare and exciting trucks! I haven't quite decided if I love the style or hate it yet.

1935-1937 Studebaker -The coupe express pickups are also near the top of my list of greatest styled trucks ever.

1934-1939 International -I rarely see any of these but I like them a lot!

1947-1954 Chevy -I'm not much of a Chevy guy but I admit that I do love the style of these trucks!

1948-1956 Ford -The 1950-1952 F1 trucks in particular are a favorite of mine. I have a '51 now but it needs a lot of work to be road-ready.

1957-1960 Ford -My first set of wheels was a 1957 Ford short box with wrap around back glass with Y-block V8. I'd love to find another!

1967-1969 Ford -I've had a few of the late 60's Ford "bump-sides" and wish I still had one. The 390 powered versions are bruisers but the gas mileage... not so good. An automatic version would be appealing.

Last but not least -1978-1979 Dodge lil Red Express -As a teenager I got a ride in one of these and it left a lasting impression. Those stacks rumbling behind the cab made my day! Automatic transmission and optional air conditioning also appeal to me as I age.

Post some photos of your work trucks!

IMG_3338.JPG

• Like 2

Unless price is no object and you are willing to go anywhere in the country to get what you want, it would depend on what was available locally at a reasonable price. GOOD old trucks are rare. I would be looking for something from the fifties or newer as a matter of practicality and price.

In my area (small town Ontario) most of the pickup trucks were owned by farmers, contractors etc and were beaten to death. But occasionally a cream puff turns up, usually originally owned by a sportsman from the city who used it for camping and fishing trips, towing a camper or boat trailer. So scan the ads from the nearest city or cities and you might get lucky.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If you are anywhere near 6' tall, a prewar pickup for anything but short-distance driving will be uncomfortable. Also consider load capacity and parts availability for a "working" truck. Even some '50's trucks are rather close quarters inside. Newer tricks may not be as cool, but practicality can't be overlooked. Six cylinder 1/2 tons can offer more economy, good hauling capacity, and still be cool.

I wouldn't actually be using the truck for any real "work" but would like to put lettering on the doors like I did on the '42. I'm 5'-7" and fit in my '42 very comfortably. I wouldn't say that "money is no object", but I would like to find something within a days drive (east coast mid-Atlantic region) so I can inspect it in person. A solid, original good driver or older restoration would be perfect. Definitely not looking for a show truck. I need to get out to some shows this summer and see what shows up for sale as well as keep an eye on classifieds. I purchased a car a couple of years ago from a tip I received right here so who knows??

The '33-'38 Dodge or Plymouth I mentioned above would be tough to find but I think I'd be most excited about if I did. If the truck was originally available with a V8, that is what I'd strongly prefer. That Y-block in my old '57 sounded so sweet, a six cylinder just wouldn't give me the same driving pleasure. The '78-'79 Dodge 'lil Red Express would probably be the most comfy, especially if equipped with A/C. My Wife would also be extra excited since I believe all of those were automatic. She does not like to drive a manual.

Edited by pkhammer
mispelling (see edit history)

With the right budget, I would look for any of those pre war models you listed. For me personally I would have to stick with a model A. The terraplanes are cool and I like the looks but not sure I would love one if I owned it. IF you end up with something post war def. go for the Lil Red Express or even better a Warlock. I dont even care for dodge trucks but would take either one of those in a heartbeat. Theres a body shop right down the road from me that has a Lil Red Express. He swapped his company name on the door in the same style as the original lettering. One has to do a second take to read what it actually says (if theyre familiar with the original, which I suppose is far and few in between).

• Like 1

I'm a Dodge fan but as good as the flathead six models are, don't expect to do more than 50 mph in a pickup truck with one and I believe this would go for any pickup before the early fifties. From the mid fifties on you can find pickups with V8, automatic trans, and other modern conveniences. They may be rarer than the base models but they do exist. This also means if you get a truck that was available with a V8 the bigger motor is a bolt in proposition.

• Like 1

My 55 Sunliner will be getting another Y block and will have a 351 and C-4 that will need a home so I will be looking for a F 100 to drop it in,I am wanting a older truck that I can haul parts from junkyards and swap meets.  I do have a 37 Chevy p/u but it's too nice to haul anything heavy in.

1 hour ago, junkyardjeff said:

My 55 Sunliner will be getting another Y block and will have a 351 and C-4 that will need a home so I will be looking for a F 100 to drop it in,I am wanting a older truck that I can haul parts from junkyards and swap meets.  I do have a 37 Chevy p/u but it's too nice to haul anything heavy in.

The flathead from the '51 F1 I am working on was long gone when I bought it and replaced with a SBC. That had to go and it will at least be Ford powered when I finish it.

51 Ford.jpeg

• Like 1

In addition to pickups I have a real appreciation for sedan deliveries and panel trucks, maybe even a preference. I can't warm up to the styling of the late forties-early fifties Chevys though, they just don't really catch my eye. Now a mid-thirties Dodge Humpback or a '40 Ford, YOWZA! Now that's a different story! Not sure if I have the budget for one of those however.  

I will likely lean heavily toward the Ford camp however from the 50's or 60's. V8 engine and the possability of automatic trans would be a major selling point for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zdillinger said:

If I were you, I would put the purchase money into the '51 you already have and get it on the road.

Here's the deal with the '51. At the rate I get things accomplished these days it'll still be a couple of years realistically before it sees the road.

I need to clarify statements I made above as they might seem contradictory. I really dig the '47-'54 Chevy Advance Design pickups. I also said I couldn't warm up to the late 40's to early 50's Chevys. That is the CAR styling. Sedan deliveries obviously have car sheet metal. The trucks on the other hand are very handsome. The downside for me is the inline six and three on the tree that most were equipped with. I don't much care for either quite honestly. Part of the driving pleasure for me is the sound, and nothing sounds like a V8 whether it be a flathead, a Y-block or small block. 

A friend of mine is selling this beautiful '53 Chevy. Wonderful, solid restoration with a 235 six. I think he's priced ok for the quality of the truck but I just can't get excited about it.

102_8696.JPG

5 minutes ago, 28 Chrysler said:

The Ford trucks are more comfortable and better diving than the GM trucks.

I like the Binders from 1934 -  49 KB2s.

You let out my favorite the Diamond T

Ah yes, the Diamond T! How could I have been so reckless to omit such a cool truck! Of course, I don't think I've ever even seen one in person. They must be quite rare. What a beast!

Diamond-T For Sale - Carsforsale.com®

• Like 1

Go for the Diamond T, the Duesenberg of pick ups.  A REO/Mack Jr. Would be my second choice, followed by Fords of several years, up to 56. 

Studebaker made a cool postwar pick up and the sweptside Dodges of the 60s were cool as well.

• Like 1

PK,

Here is a nice 34 Ford Pickup.   https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326580

I remember the truck from 15 years ago when I lived on St. Peterburg, FL    If I was younger, I'd love to have it.

Or, you could buy my 35 for half that price and beautify it.

Paul

CoverShot.jpg.19e2fae5d3f7a54d230cfaf140ffd8a0.jpg

• Like 1

Paul, your truck is beautiful just the way it is in its work clothes! After a lot of thought I think the Wife and I will likely buy something a bit newer as we both wish for automatic transmission and A/C for comfort sake. I know, I know, getting soft in my old age! That pretty much eliminates anything before the 60s unless I purchase a (gulp!) street rod. 😬

I've got a lead on a couple possibilities; a 1978 Dodge li'l red express truck and a '72 Ford F100 Ranger XLT. I'm excited just to be out window shopping!

if steering towards “modern” for automatics and a/c, square body chevys shouldn’t be completely overlooked. The parts suppliers and aftermarket love them so nothing would be cheaper or easier to keep on the road. I am amazed how many I see on the road nearly every day.  Short bed 4x4’s are getting pricy but a nice long bed 2wd would cost less than the tax on some of the trucks you are thinking about. 

• Like 1

I guess I'm the kind of person that would rather pay a lot for something I really want instead of a little for something I don't.

I've owned quite a number of F100s; 1957, 1960, 1970, 1973 and 1979 models and loved them all. I'm a Ford guy at heart.

Short bed, 2wd, V8, automatic at this point is my focus. A/C would be nice but I can always add an aftermarket system. 

2 hours ago, pkhammer said:

Paul, your truck is beautiful just the way it is in its work clothes! After a lot of thought I think the Wife and I will likely buy something a bit newer as we both wish for automatic transmission and A/C for comfort sake. I know, I know, getting soft in my old age! That pretty much eliminates anything before the 60s unless I purchase a (gulp!) street rod. 😬

I've got a lead on a couple possibilities; a 1978 Dodge li'l red express truck and a '72 Ford F100 Ranger XLT. I'm excited just to be out window shopping!

I know of a couple Lil Reds that might be for sale.

Ben

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

I know of a couple Lil Reds that might be for sale.

Ben

Great! I'm going to look at one Saturday about 3 hours from me.

• Like 1

Don't overlook the Chevrolet El Camino.  Automatic, PS, PB, A/C, V8, 1/3 ton car/truck.   Later Rancheros too.

2Pickups.jpg.8eca8f069e2b315cfa01faa6daf0902a.jpgRanchero is sold and gone.  Elcamino is a 1981 Conquista.

• Like 1

The ranchero has a nice style for sure!

I drove 3 hours one way yesterday to look at this truck. Pretty nice truck, fair price, lots of spare parts but no A/C. An aftermarket system could be added but what really scares me is the bubbling under the paint above the drip rail over the windshield. It wasn't just one or two either, it was sprinkled all the was across from one side to the other. A real shame on a truck with an otherwise perfect body. Not a repair I want to get into.

20230520_110420[1].jpg

It's amazing how stuff comes out of the woodwork when you start looking and TALKING to people. A co-worker owns this truck and he rarely uses it. He is on the fence as to whether he'd sell or not so of course I'm hoping he does. Although it does not have A/C it would fit the bill nicely otherwise. 1972 Ranger XLT package, V8, automatic, P/B, P/S. I was lukewarm on the paint but when I found out it was a good quality respray of the original Calypso Coral I'm kind of warming up to it. 

IMG_0044[1].jpg

• Like 4