No Reserve: 1933 Pontiac Economy Straight Eight 4-Door Sedan

I love the 33/34 Pontiacs.   Really the high end of prewar GM styling was 33-35 for all marques to me.   No sure why they felt the need to use the word "economy" in the title.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1933-pontiac-4-door-801/

This 1933 Pontiac Economy Straight Eight is a four-door sedan that is said to have remained under single ownership from 1964 until its acquisition by the seller approximately five years ago. Power is provided by a 223ci inline-eight paired with a three-speed manual transmission, and the car is finished in black over patterned fabric upholstery. Equipment includes reverse-hinged rear doors, a folding rear luggage rack, a cowl-mounted spotlight, red-painted wire wheels, dual side-mounted spares, a heater, and pull-down window shades. This Series 601 Pontiac is now offered at no reserve with a luggage trunk, a spare engine and other components, manufacturer’s literature, and a Virginia title in the seller’s name.

No Reserve: 1933 Pontiac Economy Straight Eight 4-Door Sedan

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting AJ!  Lots of thumbs up, but no replies...  I'll reply!  Surprised this car has been pushed pretty far down on page two.  WOW!  I like it!  I've been looking for a FRANKLIN (Anyone?), but I'm finding overpriced projects closer to home or odd (to me) color combinations.  The first Franklin has to be running/driving that I can drive on a 20 mile loop before any money changes hands.  I know this Pontiac is not a Full Classic, but it certainly has a lot of Full Classic touches!  I like the "pointed" radiator grill (like some Lincolns and Auburns(?) of the era).  A bonus, it's in Virginia and I might have an opportunity to see it in person before the auction closes.  Was there a Pontiac built bigger than this one?  Or with a bigger engine?  Thanks!  Greg

Edited by 63RedBrier
correct language... (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Greg:

By 1932, sales had plummeted from 120K to around 40K, something had to been done. Pontiac was on the potential chopping block as Alfred Sloan and management coped with the worst of the Depression.  Pontiac, which had been conceived as the next step-up in size, features and price above Chevrolet, was selling both an L-head six and the last version of the pioneering monobloc 135-degree V8 originally the Oakland engine.  

Small displacement straight eights were easier to manufacture and acceptable powerplants for cars a step above the "low-priced three".  GM had Ben Anibal in engine development, created one of the most durable, long-lived powerplants in the industry, produced through 1954.   Consolidating on this engine for 1933-'34, the next problem was styling.  What had been planned was a mild restyle of the 1932 models.  Fortuitously for Pontiac, GM Art & Color had recently hired Frank Hershey, fresh from the demise of Walter Murphy coachbuilders that had stellar designers who had bodied many great Classics and the majority of Duesenbergs.  To say Frank Hershey was a massively talent designer would be to make gross understatement.

Hershey drew on this recent experience taking inspiration from the Bentley 8-Liter for the front ensemble: radiator shell and grille, full-length hood, their vents placement, headlight positioning, all fronting Fisher bodies shared with Chevrolet on a 115" wb.  The public loved it, more than doubling the sales to 90K.  For `1934, the car was lengthened and refined, Pontiac had its reprieve!

The 223.4 ci straight eight was enlarged to 232.3 ci for 1936, then 248.9 ci from 1937 through 1949.  It was 268.2 ci for 1950-'54.  The L-head six rejoined the product lines for 1935 and continued to 1954 as well.  Both engines were considered among the best, most durable of their times.

As a simple question, get a dissertation... 
Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the great background info @58L-Y8!

It would be fun to buy this one cheap, sort it mechanically and drive as is with “Grandma’s” interior in place. This car as it sits reminds me of old worn original cars from the 20’s and early 30’s that I used to love to see back in the early - mid 60’s when I was a wild and impetuous youth. I truly loved the square cars when I was a kid.

Edited by Jeff Perkins / Mn (see edit history)
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

It would be fun to buy this one cheap, sort it mechanically and drive as is with “Grandma’s” interior in place. This car as it sits reminds me of old worn original cars from the 20’s and early 30’s that I used to love to see back in the early - mid 60’s when I was a wild and impetuous youth. I truly love the square cars when I was a kid.

You hit the nail squarely on the head with these comments Jeff.  Like you, when I was a kid looking to get my license in the mid 1960s there were several cars like this used as daily drivers.  My young car buddies would dream of owning one of them as our first car.  Nice to know a few still exist.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Greg:

By 1932, sales had plummeted from 120K to around 40K, something had to been done. Pontiac was on the potential chopping block as Alfred Sloan and management coped with the worst of the Depression.  Pontiac, which had been conceived as the next step-up in size, features and price above Chevrolet, was selling both an L-head six and the last version of the pioneering monobloc 135-degree V8 originally the Oakland engine.  

Small displacement straight eights were easier to manufacture and acceptable powerplants for cars a step above the "low-priced three".  GM had Ben Anibal in engine development, created one of the most durable, long-lived powerplants in the industry, produced through 1954.   Consolidating on this engine for 1933-'34, the next problem was styling.  What had been planned was a mild restyle of the 1932 models.  Fortuitously for Pontiac, GM Art & Color had recently hired Frank Hershey, fresh from the demise of Walter Murphy coachbuilders that had stellar designers who had bodied many great Classics and the majority of Duesenbergs.  To say Frank Hershey was a massively talent designer would be to make gross understatement.

Hershey drew on this recent experience taking inspiration from the Bentley 8-Liter for the front ensemble: radiator shell and grille, full-length hood, their vents placement, headlight positioning, all fronting Fisher bodies shared with Chevrolet on a 115" wb.  The public loved it, more than doubling the sales to 90K.  For `1934, the car was lengthened and refined, Pontiac had its reprieve!

The 223.4 ci straight eight was enlarged to 232.3 ci for 1936, then 248.9 ci from 1937 through 1949.  It was 268.2 ci for 1950-'54.  The L-head six rejoined the product lines for 1935 and continued to 1954 as well.  Both engines were considered among the best, most durable of their times.

As a simple question, get a dissertation... 
Steve

Thank you, Steve!  Much appreciated...  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

It would be fun to buy this one cheap, sort it mechanically and drive as is with “Grandma’s” interior in place. This car as it sits reminds me of old worn original cars from the 20’s and early 30’s that I used to love to see back in the early - mid 60’s when I was a wild and impetuous youth. I truly loved the square cars when I was a kid.

I still love the square cars. I guess it's in our blood.

• Like 1

This is such a cool original car. All these little things, the Pontiac emblems everywhere, the hood ornament with the 8, the side curtains, the FDR emblem, the little oil can in the engine compartment and the Pontiac symbol on the engine block, the fantastic dashboard, the heater and honestly I love the personal add ons like the pillow that makes it even more lovely. What a wonderful car! 

• Like 3

Great car.

Like Hans1965 says, it checks all the boxes for sedan lovers.

If I didn't already have a '30's sedan filling my one open spot in the garage, I'd be on this.

BAT probably isn't the right place for such a car unless it's an entry-level offering of some exotic European manufacturer, though.