1930 Packard 733 club sedan 47,500.00. ( not mine )

You have to wonder how these cars get repainted in the incorrect patterns, in the gross colors they do.   Like the owner goes to the paint jobber and says "what's the cheapest leftover surplus paint you have?"  I'll take it.   So ugly.   Its just barely better than the 2 tone robbin's egg blue most of the 30's cars get repainted.  When in doubt, go all black.  And 90% of the time the 2 tone pattern is not done correctly.  Just follow the original!  Or if you don' t know, do some research.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

You can paint the wheels fender color or black, toss the whitewalls and the trippe lights in the trash and it would look much better.

I tend to not like lighter colors on these classics, but there are some exceptions. The Cords (810/812) look nice in lighter colors.

My 733 Club sedan as seen in Bob Tournquist’s book with a different color scheme and wheel option than the car discussed in this thread

image.jpeg.120767d3c06278dbb93b78ec33f2f440.jpegand as it is now after I bought it.  The white walls were on it when I got it. 5B9B159E-34C2-498B-A346-DD6F8514B669.jpeg.67c5cf6bcf5e6e144137ed77fb82db56.jpeg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, bob duffer said:

I just contacted the gentleman and he said it is a Packard but Facebook did not have a listing for Packard so he put Cadillac. He swears and down that is an original color scheme for that era.

Hi Bob,

Maybe for more clarity, you might Include the PACKARD name in Your heading,

something like (Packard 733, not a Cadillac),

just a thought-

Thanks for bringing the ad

• Like 1

I certainly would NOT sweep this Packard out with the floor sweepings. It is a good thing that we all don't share exactly the same tastes as that would make for a very boring hobby!This Packard will be a fine purchase for someone wanting a well done, clean, driving antique. (Then he can make changes to fit his own taste).

Al

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think that the club sedans/town sedans of the late twenties were exceptionally handsome. The Packards always seemed to produce what I thought were exceptionally clean designs, with excellent proportions. 

PMH

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TwistedShifter... said:

I thought when I saw 47,500 in the topic heading that was the mileage...

Doesn't anyone other than me think the price is a little optimistic (due to the comments on paint, age of restoration and other points)?

I don't see it changing hands in the 40's.  The interior and engine bay looks tidy.  if it runs well, it only needs to find one person who finds the color scheme acceptable.  I would bet if it drives without any excuses it could find a buyer in the low 30's.  

• bob duffer changed the title to 1930 Packard 733 club sedan 47,500.00. ( not mine )
On 4/3/2023 at 10:48 PM, Marty Roth said:

Hi Bob,

Maybe for more clarity, you might Include the PACKARD name in Your heading,

something like (Packard 733, not a Cadillac),

just a thought-

Thanks for bringing the ad

Thanks Marty...I changed the heading. Hope all is well with you. I sure miss my 34 Buick . Should never have sold it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TwistedShifter... said:

I thought when I saw 47,500 in the topic heading that was the mileage...

Doesn't anyone other than me think the price is a little optimistic (due to the comments on paint, age of restoration and other points)?

I agree- price is very high for this car.  If it was a proper 100 point restoration in the correct colors it might get into the 40's, but not the way it is.  Depending on the quality of the restoration, I'd bet it will change hands for mid 20's- low 30's.   And let's not forget it does not run presently and the fuel tank is torn out of it and needs reconditioning or replacing.   So the car cannot be test driven or even heard run.

• Like 1

Agree the questionable mechanics would concern me more than colors which while not as elegant as John's car, present ok, and could be improved with changes AJ suggested above - you already know the cost.  Mechanicals are a grab bag...  Chrome is ridicules and looks ok here, another plus. 

But this is the road test ready price and maybe just a starting point.

I can think of very, very few ugly club sedans...

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, bob duffer said:

I think I would be catching my foot and leg on that brake. That is a really odd place to put that.

Our 733 Touring has the parking brake in the same location -

it isn't really an issue once you get accustomed-

Then again, drivers used to slide in from the passenger side,

and the shifter was also a minor inconvenience

On 4/4/2023 at 9:56 AM, 63RedBrier said:

Lived in this area for 20+ years and never recall seeing this Packard…

More evidence for my theory that 80% of the surviving cars are hidden from view and only appear when the estate is settled. 

• Like 2