AARP Hartford Classic Car Insurance

Paul K.

8 hours ago, Paul K. said:

Does anyone have their classics insured with Hartford through AARP? I've had Hagerty for years, but notice Hartford is offered with an AARP discount. Thoughts? 

Paul, my regular insurer USAA does not insure vintage cars. USSA sent me to American Collectors Insurance company. American a collectors Insurance

insures my Riviera. I have found American Collectors easy to conduct business. The company insured my car for 3-4 thousand miles a year. Additionally, ACI will insure the car for agreed upon value. I’m not certain the premium is discounted because I added extra miles and coverage value. I will add ACI liked the fact I had an anti theft device ( courtesy of Tom Telesco).

Turbinator

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

2 hours ago, jframe said:

Or you can always just put the coil wire in your pocket. 😁

Last summer spotted an unattended 1967 Camaro with doors unlocked parallel parked in a sketchy neighbourhood. I peered inside and spotted a clutch pedal but no Shifter handle!

Much easier to pack a coil wire than a shifter!

• Like 2

On 3/27/2023 at 12:14 PM, jframe said:

Mark, You can certainly do that. I was thinking about having on clean clothes a shirt with collar and shined shoes going to an event with my wife and not having to go under the hood. Usually, when I go in the engine bay i come out with some kind of soil.

Beside the coil wire, you can use other inexpensive deterrents to slow the thief down. One gent on the west coast came up with a municipal quality boot he uses to keep the car from moving. Battery cut off switch in the cabin can be installed. 
We can go on and on with solutions for theft deterrents. I would suppose each owner has their own solution for anti theft methods.

Taking the coil wire out does the trick ever time.

Lator Gator

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Turbinator said:

We can go on and on with solutions for theft deterrents.

I have had 2 Miniature flashing LEDs. One with a chrome bezel and another with a black base. I also have un-used NC relay contacts (normally closed). Perfect, flashing LED will go on when parked. Only I couldn't find a place to mount it. Don't like drilling random holes. If I didn't have that '63 rear defogger knob . . . .

Regarding Paul K's original question:

I've read that it is important to have an antique car

insured by a company that specializes in that field.

If there is a claim, they understand the costs involved.

They also are sure to have "agreed value" coverage.

A regular carrier may treat a damaged old car as just

a depreciated old thing and not pay you what it's worth,

nor give you the money needed to properly bring the car

back to pristine condition.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I am currently getting my policy updated on my car. State Farm offers an antique car policy, but I had to provide an appraisal and photos.

Just got the ball rolling yesterday, and they are supposed to email me the details, and said my rate should drop a fair amount.

I use JC Talyor as my antique auto insurance.  Currently, I have my '91 Reatta insured with them on an agreed coverage of $15K (no independent appraisal necessary).  Only requirement was to provide two pictures of the car and show proof that I also have a daily driver.  There's no milage limit, but it should not be used for grocery shopping, doc appointments, etc. a.k.a. daily driving.  Car shows, cruise-ins, auto maintenance/repair shops, OK.  All for just $187 per year.  All my previous Rivieras and Reattas were covered by them, also.  I'm very happy with the company.  I will insure my 2000 Eldorado with them when it turns 25 years old.

2 hours ago, dship said:

I use JC Talyor as my antique auto insurance.  Currently, I have my '91 Reatta insured with them on an agreed coverage of $15K (no independent appraisal necessary).  Only requirement was to provide two pictures of the car and show proof that I also have a daily driver.  There's no milage limit, but it should not be used for grocery shopping, doc appointments, etc. a.k.a. daily driving.  Car shows, cruise-ins, auto maintenance/repair shops, OK.  All for just $187 per year.  All my previous Rivieras and Reattas were covered by them, also.  I'm very happy with the company.  I will insure my 2000 Eldorado with them when it turns 25 years old.

It certainly seems you have a great premium for great coverage. Good deal.

Turbinator

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2023 at 12:14 PM, jframe said:

Mark, no premium discount for that method. The insurance company wants a mechanical name they use to justify the discount. In my case the company was hesitant to give me a policy where my car would be overnight away from home. I told them about my security switch and they ok’d the policy.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 8:13 AM, jframe said:

I am currently getting my policy updated on my car. State Farm offers an antique car policy, but I had to provide an appraisal and photos.

Just got the ball rolling yesterday, and they are supposed to email me the details, and said my rate should drop a fair amount.

I have State Farm, they just raised my rate $6.50 per month to $41.50 per month. Alost $500 a year. I will be contacting JC Taylor, as others have mentioned way better rates.

12 hours ago, crowvet said:

I have State Farm, they just raised my rate $6.50 per month to $41.50 per month. Alost $500 a year. I will be contacting JC Taylor, as others have mentioned way better rates.

I was paying about 240.00 every six months. They called with the new rate and it's around 129.00 every six months. May want to talk to your agent first.

• Like 1

35 years ago I left JC Taylor for Hagerty, when they could not match the price or the coverage that Hagerty was willing to provide. I would have stayed with JC Taylor if the coverage had been equal. Hagerty has treated me right, no reason to change now. There are several competitive vintage car insurers. Ask for a quote from several and take the lowest bid on agreed value policy. Except no less then an agreed value policy. But don't overvalue your car or you could loose it if you have an accident that ends up being a total. 

On 4/13/2023 at 6:24 PM, Buffalowed Bill said:

But don't overvalue your car or you could loose it if you have an accident that ends up being a total. 

Meaning?

I have 1.5 cars on my policy with Hagerty along with 2 endorsements:

1) Guaranteed Value Plustm

2) Cherished Salvage®

My understanding on the latter is that I get to keep it if totaled.

The half car is a non running project with comprehensive only on it.

I have my '38 Century, '64 GP and '67 Riviera insured by American Modern.  Each has a different agreed value and estimated annual mileage.  Total annual premium is currently $377.  So far I've had no claims and hope it stays that way!  ;)