ATTA BOY

We had chariot and foot races didn't we!😁  Nothing new here. Even the Amish teenagers have buggy races.

That is a GREAT picture!!!!

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

I enjoy off beat auto humor like this from "the era" as much as I do seeing the buildings etc in the  back grounds of the period photos, the lettering on the vehicles and signs on  stores, it gives all of us a bigger picture of the attitude and thought of the time period that produced the vehicles we love.

I have two cartoon books from England of the same era that focus on automotive related humor. Such simple thoughts and activities that make you chuckle. Ok when was the last time you read someone was chuckling at something. Today's generation does not know what chuckle means.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The smirk on the front seat kid's face as he waves is priceless.

1 hour ago, Frank DuVal said:

Even the Amish teenagers have buggy races.

One of my Oldsmobile friends in upstate NY is a retired sheriff's deputy in a county with a sizable Amish population.

He said the craziest call he ever worked was a bunch of teenage Amish boys got drunk and were drag racing their buggies on the town's main street. He said it tickled the deputies so much they let the boys go with a warning to take the buggies home and put them away.

And natcherly the kid with the two-horse buggy was ruling the streets that night!

County Sheriff here tells me he's glad the local Amish kids  haven't tried that yet.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 12:05 PM, Walt G said:

I enjoy off beat auto humor like this from "the era" as much as I do seeing the buildings etc in the  back grounds of the period photos, the lettering on the vehicles and signs on  stores, it gives all of us a bigger picture of the attitude and thought of the time period that produced the vehicles we love.

Hey Walt G! Ever read a "Captain Billy's Whiz Bang" magazine? Somewhere, packed away, I have one copy of it. Probably not everybody's like in humor, but a real look at jokes of the era.

Wayne, yes I have seen/read Captain Billy's Whiz Bang magazine  ( I know you are thinking - not surprised) I agree it gives another unique view into an era long long ago.

SO many things that were around that are totally forgotten yet played a huge influence on culture and the way people thought or viewed things 80+ years ago. Rumble seats, running boards, newsreels, "matrons" at movie theatres to show you to your seat and make sure you kept quiet , major places to go roller skating with your skates in a custom made wood box with your name on it in wood letters, tube radios and juke boxes , 78 rpm records, hand cranked photographs ( and cars and telephones) .  Kinda neat things that dinosaurs and historians like me look fondly upon.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I remember as a kid going to one of the vintage car gatherings in Dearborn MI, I'm guessing late 50s early 60s. They did drag races as part of the days fun. I believe one race was a steamer against a Model T and the T got sideways trying to stop at the end and hit a hay bail and broke the wooden spoke wheel right off and the hay bail held up that corner of the car when stoped. That is about all I remember of the trip. If it was like most of those outings, my Dad and a good friend of his would roll me out of bed at some on godly hour to go to an old car event so we could get their to see people arrive and I would quickly go back to sleep in the back seat for the trip.

• Like 2