1982 Sinatra Imperial Interior Update

MarkV

As you all may recall about four years ago I found a 82 Sinatra Imperial complete with the original EFI. It had sat for 23 years and I got it for free. I’ve been a longtime admirer of these since about 20 years ago.

it was in rough shape and needed the efi brought back and all the usual and of course paint, interior, etc. 

well I’m on my final rung of having the interior done so I thought I would show some photos! 

BA44BAE8-84F1-4D1C-90D4-1EA16AD22CE8.jpeg

43753888-6BAF-4350-A351-06EC783BAF16.jpeg

Edited by MarkV (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I have always admired the 1981-1983 Imperials,

but I have stayed away from them, thinking that

they had more than the average number of problems.

Are they reliable cars?  What problems do they typically have?

I'm glad to see, Wes, that you're enjoying the experience,

and bringing them back to a state of excellence.

3 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I want to say  The big problem was the fuel injection. I think most other then this one have carbs. 

Well done.

Those years Imperials were nice cars to own in spite of their not-quite-ready-for-prime-time EFI.

You'd think Chrysler would have learned something from 1958... but Cadillac and Lincoln were floundering around with their electronic doodad gadgets too.

Yes the efi was problematic back in the day. Mostly because of a lack of training and the early parts were trash.

what people don’t know is Chrysler took back those parts in the mid 80s and rebuilt them with better tech available at that time. 

I have about a dozen efi systems on hand that can be swapped if needed. The efi has pump in the air cleaner along with the computer, etc. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, John348 said:

Mark,

GREAT JOB! and great determination! I found working on a mid-70's GM Bendix EFI unit pretty frustrating.  That car looks fantastic 

The bendix is easy! (I have one of those too!)

On 3/8/2023 at 7:37 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Mine had the dealer retrofitted 2 bbl carb conversion done by the original owner. He had another one, non FS Special that he put a high performance 340 in. They were as reliable as most early 80's car when the EFI was removed.

carsept17 002.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

Looks fantastic!  It looks like you reused the carpet. What was the cleaning process? 

I have a Bissell cleaner the thing is we had to reuse the carpet as the furry carpet is unavailable unfortunately 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 4:37 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

well most are now converted to a 2bbl or 4bbl. It was the efi system mostly the first round of parts was garbage, lack of knowledge etc. they can be brought to full running order if you have the parts on hand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkV said:

I have a Bissell cleaner the thing is we had to reuse the carpet as the furry carpet is unavailable unfortunately 

I have the same problem with my trans am. They used a one car only carpet that is no longer available. I will give that a shot and see if I can save the piece I have.

The interior looks great.

A friend had a non-FS Mark V back in the early 90's and we used to tease him about driving an old man's car.

But it rode great and was a very nice car.

What is the 'box' on the centre console under the dash?

This interior turned out beautiful, I can imagine it smells like a new car😁. I never cared for these cars when new, I was always partial to caddies (dad was a GM guy and my grandmother always drove a new caddy). I never really liked anything mopar. My tastes have changed over the years and the old mopar stuff from the late 50's through the 60's which in my opinion were about the ugliest cars ever made are now amongst some of my favorite looking models. I would prefer this Imperial over anything GM of the same class and era now.  Not sure if I am maturing (I know that cant be, lol) or if its because I am closing in on 60, which I would presume was about the limit of the original target age of these cars when new.

21 hours ago, MarkV said:

The box is for Sinatra tapes and has Sinatra’s signature on it, as this is a Sinatra edition imperial. 

Did it come with the 16 cassette tapes in the car?  The majority of them either got tossed, or taken inside the house.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

6 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Did it come with the 16 cassette tapes in the car?  The majority of them either got tossed, or taken inside the house.

Craig

They were just the typical reprise releases I’ve purchased the correct ones and put them in the console.

fun fact is that Warner/reprise demanded cash and carry for the tapes because of Chryslers precarious position in 1979,1980,1981,1992.