1949 Chrysler royal woody wagon - $15,950

Quite a project but it should be saved. 

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/santa-ana-1949-chrysler-royal-woody/7596199480.html

1949 woodie royal Chrysler..needs alot of work as u can see but a great car when done ...come see ut ..very complete all three rows of seats ..hard to find ...has rust and damage.. runs maybe tires hold air   

714 four nine 3 46two3   Carlos

00D0D_g1Aka4UDbHG_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg01212_3J6dRU6bukT_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00404_eWJF6Rw6Osq_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00p0p_9611EeQCaKW_0t20CI_600x450.jpg01212_cdM3lMW1IJt_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00Z0Z_fYHc991jce0_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00A0A_xRDwWOgLv_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

• Like 2

Isn't this the one that was trying to be sold on the forums before that we were trying to give the seller guidance on?  The incorrect wood,  Upholstery,  I even recall that same silver firewall.  Can't be two in the same shape and color with the same type of "restoration"  in the country. 

Did it sell and get shipped across the country,  for the buyer to realize what he really bought when it showed up?  Wouldn't take long outside to go down hill from the shape we last saw it in. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, The 55er said:

It's the same car, it really went downhill. Six years ago in Rhode Island, the last seller wanted $100K for it. 

What a mess this turned out to be. Too bad. I am a "WOODY" guy and it pains me to see this.

Most cars can be restored, including this one, as long as someone has VERY deep pockets.

OTOH - these cars that keep coming up for "stupid" $$$$ only justifies my belief that my cars are worth $100K each.😉😉😉😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, B Jake Moran said:

$100k ?  More like $150,000.  What’s with that rear tire enclosure?  Buy a well sorted 4 door for $14,000. 

Should not be saved 

I believe that $150K would not be nearly enough to restore this one. Memory has it that it needs EVERYTHING - wood, metal.....

The rear/spare tire enclosure is actually factory original. That's where the spare tire was carried.

Weird and cool at the same time

As far as saving it - if someone really,really wants one of these and wants a major project then this will be the car.

However, one can be bought, in MUCH better condition, in the $50K-$75K range

Some cars, regardless of how relatively rare they are, are simply beyond a feasible restoration.   Document its one-time existence, salvage whatever parts are unique to this series of Mopar woodie wagons and would be useful to maintain other Mopars...then let the rest go.

This is a classic example of someone not knowing their limitations and trying to "restore" a car. Especially a Woody.

I remember seeing the pics of this car before it was "butchered" and it had some potential - it still would have cost a fortune to restore but the "bones" were there. 

Even if the seller gave someone $25,000 to take the car away the restoration costs would eat that up in short order.

It's a sin that such a rare car, in terms of # built, may be destined to the scrap heap.

Just for comparison, I bought this Plymouth Wagon several years ago. It looks nice but needs some floor work, etc. and I don't have $100K invested in it - and never will.......

plymouth1.png

plymouth4.png

• Like 4