Vintage vehicle recommendations?

calvintrew

1 hour ago, calvintrew said:

Hi I'm looking for recommendations for vintage vehicles like the Mercedes düdo or the old Divco milk trucks. Something boxy and cute (ideally with around 5'10" interior height) to restore or do a frame swap for van life! 

I'm sorry, but if you can spell "recommendations" in the body of your inquiry, why not spell it out in your title? "Recs" is just a little too vague in that it asks readers to interpret your meaning and requires them to delve into your post just to find out.

• Like 2

First off what do you mean by van life? What are you planning on doing with it?

Second where are you and what kind of budget do you have?

If you mean what I think you mean, your best value would be a used motorhome. There are lots around, they don't get used much (average 3000 miles a year) and there are some good buys in older models. And, everything is there although it may not all work. Putting one back in commission would be easier and cheaper than a van conversion.

If your heart is set on a delivery van your best bet would be one on a standard Ford, Chev, GMC or Dodge truck chassis. International made some good ones too but parts may be harder to get and more expensive. The newer the better. Then the challenge is to repair many years of wear and abuse to put it back in commission. This would be a lot of work and expense but not as much as a frame swap.

• Like 1

Modern truck & vans are wider than the old delivery trucks by over 10 inches.

With the wider wheels you will have to extend the fenders out a foot or more.

When you go from a fairly flat frame  to a modern frame that is dropped in the center you will have a very tall vehicle or be chopping out the floor.

Just a bit to think about.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, calvintrew said:

Hi I'm looking for recommendations for vintage vehicles like the Mercedes düdo or the old Divco milk trucks. Something boxy and cute (ideally with around 5'10" interior height) to restore or do a frame swap for van life! 

What is "van life" ?

• West Peterson changed the title to Vintage vehicle recommendations?
18 hours ago, calvintrew said:

For a minute there I thought I was on a dating site.The 5'10" brought me back though.

1 hour ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

image.jpeg.a082bee441c856768151e16a68f1b359.jpeg

Xander, I can only infer that you are calling me out for crying over spilled milk regarding my complaining about the OP use of "recs" in place of "recommendation". He chose to use the abbreviation in the title of his post, and only after my remark, chose to go back and spell out the word properly. As you view his original post now you can't tell what I was taking exception to. If you would like, I'll let you know when I require calling out on such things in the future. We all appreciate your watchful eye!

One of our local members is an expert on stand-and-drive

delivery trucks, including Divco.  He often takes 3 of them

to Hershey.  There is some sort of Divco club:  You might

check with them on comfortable driving speeds, because

my recollection is that they are made for local deliveries

and not good at highway speeds.

Here is a picture from 2015, with his Stutz Pakagecar in 

the foreground:

2015 Hershey--Jay Crist Milk Trucks.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/24/2023 at 8:14 PM, SC38dls said:

90% of frame swaps fail and fail miserably. Seriously think this thru. 
dave s 

Seen for the umpteenth time a couple days ago, on Marketplace locally, nice looking WW2 era Chevy pickup. Current owner has no idea what chassis it's sitting on, but very obviously someone gave up at the halfway point. 

Personally, if I were the OP I would stick to 60s+ GM/Ford/Dodge vans. Some unique stuff even into the 70s, and you can do most anything with the powertrains/chassis.

• Like 1