Purchasing 1948 IH kb-6 for $9500?

Tractor-man 111

I am looking at a 1948 international kb-6 for $9,500 it runs and drive and is in pretty good condition with very minor rust and some mechanical problems but nothing major. It has a PTO dump flat bed that works as well it is noisy but through research have found that this is normal. My question is is this truck over priced at this price and should I walk away or is it a decent price and worth picking  up.

3B239CDA-8D50-4423-886D-317FB6B88F7C.jpeg

Just from the photo it looks quite over priced, though I do know the patina look is in. If you really like the truck, and you want it, decide what it is worth to you. If you get turned down, give the seller your number and tell them to give you a call if they change their mind. They will!

• Like 1

Trucks are hot right now but the heavier duty models such as this not as much. Do some research of asking and more importantly selling prices of similar trucks and I think you'll see that this one might be a bit overpriced. 

• Like 2

He is probably selling that one because the one in the background is better.

In general I figure right around $10,000 is a good price for a collector type vehicle that runs, drives, and is presentable. I look at a lot f old cars and buy a few. I always figure the final outlay is going to be in that $10,000 range. It is not hard to see the thousand dollar bills fly once you start repairing a cheaper one.

hat truck would be a lot shinier with less dirt on it if I had it up for sale. That I know for sure.

• Like 1

First I love the truck and condition and I am very partial to the KB6 styling and utility. It would be great running to the dump or the lumber store. I believe the engine would be a Blue Diamond and like all the IHC Diamond series nearly indestructible with readily available parts and interchangeability. Unfortunately a lot of trucks such as this end up being hacked-up to make them into something they are not. Cabs and sheet metal used for rat rod monstrosities or the drivetrains "upgraded" (I use that term loosely) in attempts to imbue modern performance.

From the few photo it looks like an honest used but well kept truck. Make an offer and go from there. Unless the engine needs a rebuild I don't think the price is that far out of line.

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 1

besides the price,do you plan on driving it ? or have you driven it ? you might find it is not very practical on the road and really slow for todays traffic,might be ok in rural area and secondary roads,and do you have to heavy safety it [over one ton ]like brake drums etc ? Some of these bigger trucks can be tough finding parts for safety inspection if it is like where i am brake drums cannot be worn over size etc

A few years old but this gives a decent ball park idea of condition and prices.

https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/trucks/auction-results/list/manufacturer/international/model/kb6

The problem with trucks of this class and era is they were pretty much tailored to the customers needs. As others have stated the KB5 and KB6 do not command the price that the KB series pickup trucks will. $12,000.00 for this truck is way, way too optimistic. It would have to be perfect. Its a great survivor but $9,500.00 would be at the high end for the current condition. I would suggest throwing out a low ball number and continuing the search. Remember when your looking that tires for a truck this size are not cheap and with lock rings a different challenge indeed!  Watch your knuckles on the 2nd to 3rd shift - if its like the KB5 I had its easy to rap them on the dash. LOL)

Here are some specifications for the KB6

International Truck Specifications -- KB Line -- 1947-1949

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 1

When he increased your offer by $500 say call me and I’ll make another offer. Then when a week or two goes by and no one has even called on it and he calls you offer $8000 or $7500 and tell him you did the research and that is what a truck in better condition would bring. You’ve got nothing to loose at this point. Good luck, it’s a nice looking truck but has some fixable seeable problems but unknown engine, brake or electrical possible problems 

dave s 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tractor-man 111 said:

He was asking $12,000 I offered $9,000 and he is wanting to get $9,500. I

If $500 is standing in the way (5%) you probably really don't want the truck. Might as well walk and save it as a memory of one that got away.

• Thanks 2

I hope you have driven it.

Some items to check..

**Is it a 4 speed or optional 5 speed trans? Probably non syncro spur gear transmission....shift ok...no loud whine or other odd noises?

**Does it have the brake booster on it in working condition..brake pedal high and firm?

**Many of the bigger trucks have small windows in the backing plate or outer edge of the drum to check brake lining thickness.

**Is there any dark colored  fluid leakage on any of the brake backing plates?

**DrivelineU-joint vibration?

**Does the engine run well...no knocking/other odd sounds?

**Does it have enough power for you when driving it? 100HP engine

**Oil pressure.. 40lbs when driving, 20 when idling hot?

**Exhaust system fairly quiet..exhaust manifold broken?

**Steering feel fairly tight?

**Any cracks in the frame near any welds or elsewhere?

**Radiator/water pump showing signs of leaking?

**Any block crack repairs?

**Generator properly charging a recently new 6 volt battery?

**Gauges /lights all work?

**Tires decent?

Just a few things you need to check to prevent you from imediately dumping a bunch of money into a used truck..and a bigger one at that.

• Like 1

Do you need a truck this large. If not at that price you should be able to get a smaller truck. I like the larger { 2 ton / 3 ton } trucks, but they were built to do a job, not pleasure driving.  It's probably a decent deal at $7500 or so, but $9,500 seems high. Very few people actually have a use for one these days . Keep in contact with the seller and see what his price is 3 or 4 months.

I saw this exact KB-6 truck in June 2021 when I bought some used truck doors from the owner in June 2021.  I liked it a lot but my trucks are generally larger than this.  As has been pointed out trucks of this size don’t command premium prices and the heavy duty versions (1.5 to 3 ton) often have very limited top speed.  On the other hand the styling of the KB-6 and it’s larger variants is very attractive and even more so in person.  Assuming that the cosmetic condition appeals to you I would assign significant value if the truck is completely sorted and can be reliably driven for enjoyment from day one.  Especially at any price point below $10,000…

3795AE7C-AEE7-4B82-8171-EC809D70184D.jpeg.d7ed9cb7498687588ea982c1e81b2088.jpeg894A06A2-E39E-401C-A1DF-66830565FFF5.jpeg.540c27a8dc57aeb0bdf32eb05f819fc1.jpegD500AF57-6C72-421F-8A69-0F202EC01A39.jpeg.11cfe92239f8a3523d2808193b485e73.jpeg

• Like 2