Being Judged first time at A.A.C.A.

Bob Kielar

Hello all,

My wife and I have never been to an A.A.C.A. show. We are planning on going to the Grand Nationals in Bettendorf Iowa in August. Will it be possible for our 1955 Cadillac Fleetwood to be judged there? Any help on how to present the Cadillac would be appreciated. The picture is our Cadillac from the Cadillac Lasalle Grand Nationals 2022 in Lombard ILL. near Chicago.F4696029-6658-4FB4-B3A1-2398FBEB3890.jpeg.45c61daeb2fad0fd61767c66a260ceda.jpeg

Thanks, 

Bob Kielar

• Like 1

First question Are you a member of the AACA? A requirement for entering and being judged. There is a pre registration requirement for all of their outings, so keep an eye out for when that particular show opens up and get your registration in right away. Other than that I cannot offer any other advice. I have shown my car exactly once in the DPC and had a great time. I plan on doing it again as many times as I can. I did register one of my motorcycles a couple of years ago but the show changed (covid thing) at the last minute and I was unable to attend. I will say the online registration process is very easy. If you need assistance the people at the HQ are great to talk to on the phone and have always been more than helpful.

There is a section on the forum regarding judging, read that over, get a copy of the judging manual (available from the website I think) and give it a good once over. Just so you know what may be in store.  I am sure there will be another Caddy guy that can guide you through much better than myself.

Beautiful Auto!!!

• Like 1

A car has to have earned its AACA Senior Award before it is eligible to compete at the Grand Nationals. 

If you wish to enter your car in the Annual Grand Nationals, you would need to register it at a couple of other meets between now and then and earn a First Junior at one, and then enter it and earn a Senior Award at another Nationals, which would then make it eligible to enter the Grand Nationals. 

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Yes, your car can seek a First Junior award at Auburn.  The next time you show the car, it will only compete against other cars in your class that have received a First Junior award for a Senior Award.  Once you have a Senior, then you can enter the Grand National.  You may want to attend the Grand National any way to see the level of cars you would be competing with at a future grand national.  You don't have to have a car entered to attend, but you should register if you want to attend any of the great events that are planned.

• Like 1

metal valve stem covers of proper period, proper hose clamps and hose markings, proper fan belt markings, proper license plate bolts for period, no rust down in your philips head screws, tools/jack/tire wedge/etc, proper headlights, working lights and ...., a fire extinguisher, a handshake and a smile. 

And for fun get the proper gold plated license plate frame or its silver anodized equal, year correct restored license plate, and a 1955 GM Motorama gold anodized key chain.  And the proper floor mats if they are still reproduced. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

You may want to review the AACA Judges Guidelines that can be downloaded from the AACA Home Page.

2023_Judging_Guidelines.pdf (aaca.org)

You should have factory documentation for anything unusual about your car in case the judges request question the item.  There may be a few differences in AACA and CLC judging and those are the areas you need to look at closely.  In most cases, a car that does well in a marque club national will also do well in AACA.  However, some marque clubs are now accepting radial tires on all cars (I don't know where CLC is on this) but AACA requires correct size and type of tires that were delivered on the car from the factory.  Bias look radials are not accepted in place of bias ply tires.  It is a two point per tire deduction.

It's a great looking car that I hope to see at one of the AACA Nationals this year.

I do a car to please me and not for brownie points from "judges". 99% of cars at those events never left the factory with the extreme level of detail expected at concourse events. Copped grief once for "non standard color" despite dealer advertising stating "available in any color of your choosing", everything else was bang on specs and the guy was so up himself and self righteous I gave up on shows after that. Knew of a guy who had a car with head bolts all marked "GMH" (General Motors - Holden) on the tops. went to the trouble of shims etc. so when correctly torqued they all lined up. Lots of judges going "Ooh ahh" and wetting their pants over it. Never left factory that way but points awarded. Also noted there tended to be bit of an "old boys club" at play and if you didn't play their game...............

(This is here in Australia by the way).

Different strokes and all that but doesn't float my boat.

• Haha 1

C.L.C. does require bias ply tires for judging. We drove from southern Wisconsin to Louisville Kentucky for Grand Nationals with the bias ply tires it was not a pleasant drive. Now that the roads are constructed with parallel groves cut into the concrete the Cadillac wants to follow the grooves it’s a constant battle to keep the car straight. With the radials on the car it is smooth sailing. To me it’s a safety issue making one drive on bias ply tires they don’t deduct for seat belts so why deduct where the rubber meets the rode. I know I could trailer the car or take our truck with the bias ply tires an change them there. We like to drive our Cadillac to the events that is half the fun.

Regards,

Bob

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bob Kielar said:

C.L.C. does require bias ply tires for judging. We drove from southern Wisconsin to Louisville Kentucky for Grand Nationals with the bias ply tires it was not a pleasant drive. Now that the roads are constructed with parallel groves cut into the concrete the Cadillac wants to follow the grooves it’s a constant battle to keep the car straight. With the radials on the car it is smooth sailing. To me it’s a safety issue making one drive on bias ply tires they don’t deduct for seat belts so why deduct where the rubber meets the rode. I know I could trailer the car or take our truck with the bias ply tires an change them there. We like to drive our Cadillac to the events that is half the fun.

Regards,

Bob

Bob,

Bias ply's are DOT approved so,,,,,,,, bottom line it is the owners choice, 

The seat belt comparison holds no water, you need seat belts to install a car seat.  

11 hours ago, Fordy said:

I do a car to please me and not for brownie points from "judges". 99% of cars at those events never left the factory with the extreme level of detail expected at concourse events. Copped grief once for "non standard color" despite dealer advertising stating "available in any color of your choosing", everything else was bang on specs and the guy was so up himself and self righteous I gave up on shows after that. Knew of a guy who had a car with head bolts all marked "GMH" (General Motors - Holden) on the tops. went to the trouble of shims etc. so when correctly torqued they all lined up. Lots of judges going "Ooh ahh" and wetting their pants over it. Never left factory that way but points awarded. Also noted there tended to be bit of an "old boys club" at play and if you didn't play their game...............

(This is here in Australia by the way).

Different strokes and all that but doesn't float my boat.

I understand what youre saying and to an extent I feel the same way as I like to drive my car. However I have nothing wrong with the people whose idea is to present their car in as pristine condition as possible. Recognition of a good job on a well restored car is always nice. I think the AACA judging (although I have not had a car judged yet) makes more sense than the local car show which awards a best in show to a buddies car, or something that looks cool just because. I saw a 32 coupe (i use that term loosely) win a best in show one night that IMO wasnt half best in show. It was a Am. Graffiti job with a fiberglass body. They didnt even sand down the seams from the mold when it was painted!!!

• Like 2

They make radials that look like bias ply but those will still be a deduction. 
I’am not trying to compare the importance of seat belts to tires just stating bias plys do not preform as well as radials on our modern highways to me it’s a safety issue. If you have the same size and look as a bias ply why the deduction?

Regards,

Bob

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bob Kielar said:

If you have the same size and look as a bias ply why the deduction?

Because that is what the rules are. They are not as the car was originally equipped. They do not look identical. If you can look at them and tell that they are not the correct tires, they will merit a deduction. If you have problems with your bias ply tires, you may want to have them checked out to see what is wrong with them. I drove my 1937 Buick Century over 125 miles on Coker reproduction bia ply tires on Saturday with no problems. The reproduction bias ply tires work just fine for me at highway speeds. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bob Kielar said:

We drove from southern Wisconsin to Louisville Kentucky for Grand Nationals with the bias ply tires it was not a pleasant drive. Now that the roads are constructed with parallel groves cut into the concrete the Cadillac wants to follow the grooves it’s a constant battle to keep the car straight.

How old are your bias ply tires? I have had very good service and drivability with reproduction bias ply tires on my 1937 Buick Century. I have driven it from North Carolina to Indiana, and from North Carolina to Ohio without any problems. I did finally wear out the bias ply tires and replaced them with a new set of bias ply and the car is still driving fine.

• Like 1

My bias ply tires were less than a year old when we went to Kentucky. They run fine on blacktop and smooth concrete. The problem is when the tires are on a concrete highway with the grooves cut in them running parallel/the way the car is going that you have to constantly correct the steering. I think they cut these grooves for safety driving in wet, icy, snow conditions. The wife suggested going back roads and just add a day to our travels that might be a fun way to travel.

Regards,

Bob

• Like 1

Back roads are the way to go.  Scenery, small town cafes, antique shops, and who knows what you might discover along the way.  Enjoy the trip.  Your car will draw a lot more attention and will help be your intro to the local community. Look forward to seeing your car at one of the AACA Nationals this year.

Terry

• Like 2

Bob, 

A few years ago I made the trip back and forth from Lexington to Chicago every week for about a year. Rt 47 thru Illinois is better than 57 or 65 thru Indiana I 39 was fairly new and was also a better road. I’m not sure it was entirely your tires those roads are just messed up. 
dave s 

If your tires are in good condition, I would also have a competent alignment shop check your front suspension to make sure that everything is as it should be. While bias ply tires are not going to ride exactly like radials, with good bias ply tires, properly inflated, and the front suspension in good shape and properly aligned and adjusted, the car should be able to be driven comfortably on any roadway that you can comfortably drive on with radial tires. Radials do tend to mask front end problems that bias ply tires will react to negatively. 

• Like 1