The Unrestored Car Appreciation Thread

If you think there is a lot of fiction being written in auction catalogs, you haven’t seen anything until you get to the preservation class. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

One of the things I appreciate about my Stearns is that all the little details are still there.   It still has its original exhaust system and muffler.

Here is a pair of Oaks sidemount locks.  The original one if off my Stearns.  The reproduction is of a million dollar V16 Cadillac.  Spot the differences?

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

• Like 5

On 2/9/2023 at 8:25 AM, alsancle said:

The Startix was also used on the 810/812 Cord and the 851/852 Auburn.  An unnecessary accessory but my experience with them has been good.

The problem with a Startix is that people are not use to driving with them - seemed when we first started going to ACD Festival that someone would always go home with their front bumper in the backseat - they would pull up too close to someone and then stall it to have it try to restart and be too flustered to react properly = bang.  I cannot recall what I was doing when I sent the 35 Auburn Sedan into the back of the garage - turned out fine, but there is still a dent in the drywall.   On my cars the restart function is disabled, though the Startix still remain as they serve as a starter solenoid.   The most problematic applications seem to be Cord and next Auburn (matched to a couple Packards) as the units hang on the engine blocks and a lot of heat for the technology of the unit build. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I posted my '69 Impala at the start of this thread, but I do have a '86 Monte Carlo SS. For some reason, I never really thought of it as being old, but it's 37 years old now ! Maybe it's because I'm growing old with it ? I was 21 years old when I purchase it from the local Chevrolet Dealership in August of 1986. I saved up $10,000 and my Father co-sign on the $5000 loan... This car is all original paint ( I think GM had issues with their paint during the eighties, my brother had a '88 GMC Jimmy and the Indigo Blue paint flaked off ) I just only replaced the original Good Year GT tires last year, but the wipers and washer fluid is still original... battery / belts were replaced. Oh, the headliner started to sag ( very common issue ) last year, so I replaced that as well. This old Chevy has become a family member, I could never get rid of it now, plus my daughter wants it !  I hope to bring it to Hershey this year,

Steve

image.png.decb16ed54dae7df3a5a628b19ed3b38.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

I posted my '69 Impala at the start of this thread, but I do have a '86 Monte Carlo SS. For some reason, I never really thought of it as being old, but it's 37 years old now ! Maybe it's because I'm growing old with it ? I was 21 years old when I purchase it from the local Chevrolet Dealership in August of 1986. I saved up $10,000 and my Father co-sign on the $5000 loan... This car is all original paint ( I think GM had issues with their paint during the eighties, my brother had a '88 GMC Jimmy and the Indigo Blue paint flaked off ) I just only replaced the original Good Year GT tires last year, but the wipers and washer fluid is still original... battery / belts were replaced. Oh, the headliner started to sag ( very common issue ) last year, so I replaced that as well. This old Chevy has become a family member, I could never get rid of it now, plus my daughter wants it !  I hope to bring it to Hershey this year,

Steve

image.png.decb16ed54dae7df3a5a628b19ed3b38.png

One of the cooler cars of the 80s.  I had an 88 LS. First new car purchase at age 21 as well.    I couldn't find a SS on the dealers lots. I did want the SS.  However, the LS did come with the 302 4 barrel.  Yours looks great. And yes, the cars of our youth are now OLD!  

3 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

One of the cooler cars of the 80s.  I had an 88 LS. First new car purchase at age 21 as well.    I couldn't find a SS on the dealers lots. I did want the SS.  However, the LS did come with the 302 4 barrel.  Yours looks great. And yes, the cars of our youth are now OLD!  

Thanks Chris..... This was the last one on the dealership's lot... someone else had a deposit on it, told the salesman if anything should happen, please contact me..... sure enough, the deal fell through and they contacted me, went back that day and purchased it !

Steve

image.png.f82282ba33dcaa8e2e5ca833593bbab5.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

Thanks Chris..... This was the last one on the dealership's lot... someone else had a deposit on it, told the salesman if anything should happen, please contact me..... sure enough, the deal fell through and they contacted me, went back that day and purchased it !

Steve

image.png.f82282ba33dcaa8e2e5ca833593bbab5.png

Enjoy it!

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/27/2023 at 3:24 PM, alsancle said:

Here is my unrestored race boat from the 1930s.  Let it go to a better home a few years ago.  Spent 15  years trying to identify the builder.

July 18 Thumb Drive 2 1044.JPG

July 18 Thumb Drive 2 1048.JPG

IMG_4306.jpg

Looks like a smaller version of a Ventnor I had in the 70's. Mine was dated as a 1941.

brasscarguy

• 9 months later...
On 1/29/2023 at 8:24 AM, Steven Meixner said:

This is my 1912 Hudson. Original paint and upholstery. One of my favorites to drive.

20170508_170550.jpg

Hi Steven,

I am trying to restore a 1912 Hudson 33 Roadster and am searching for a Continental AB600 four cylinder engine. Do you know of or have an engine for sale? Kind regards, Mathew.

IMG_0387.jpeg

IMG_0386.jpeg

IMG_0348.jpeg

IMG_0353.jpeg

IMG_0350.jpeg

IMG_0352.jpeg

IMG_20231224_110932456.jpg.0d5c6e244af1ebd7d009be7595d7388d.jpgBought this 40 Buick Special for my 88 tear old Dad for Christmas. All original everything except for the tires.

70,000 mi. Out of a Buick collection. Even has factory option seat covers. Upholstery under is like new. Drives like dream.

• Like 6

This is my 1957 Chevrolet, 283, PG, 210 sportcoupe that I have owned for almost 48 years. 

Purchased from the original owner in Peabody Kansas in 1976.

It has 65K miles, original paint and interior.

FB_IMG_1605618962970.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Mercury Zephyr Z7

This is not my car -- it belongs to someone in my neighborhood and I see it parked on the street -- but I'm posting these pics anyway because it's unusual to see a bone stock car from the late 70's/early 80's like this.  I'm not sure of the year.  (They were made from '78 to '83.)

78Zephyr.jpg.ca879864b5fd8cfd1ede8532646630b4.jpg

78Zephyr2.jpg.a69b77ff10bb71c6b041b3536832f57a.jpg