What are the Best Looking Prewar FOUR-DOOR Sedans? Custom and Production.

alsancle

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Did all J Desenbergs come from the factory with hoods? Love the curved louvers, some coach builders took the time to align them with the curve of the side mount tires, or is it just poor camera angles? 

377ddec7308359a52081c2a8fd7274e21e1fdd20 (1).webp

download.jpg

51LaK1ybC8L.__AC_SX342_QL70_ML2_.jpghttps://www.coachbuild.com/forum/download/file.php?id=46370&sid=5ac931af5ff1c4d91390bfd22dd33eab&mode=view

That's a set of factory J hoods. They are spectacular. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I have learned a lot. The photos and cars are beautiful. A real history lesson for a car nut like me who has more knowledge of post war vehicles. I like all cars and driving any of these I am sure would put a smile on my face, but then again all cars I can drive or race do. Already looking forward to the next thread with 2 door cars. Even got to see Ed say a yiddish word. A gezunt of dien pipick, Mr. Ed. 

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, 8E45E said:

37_Imperial_1.jpg

Craig:

Thanks for posting the 1934-'35 Chrysler Custom Imperial Series CW limousine.  The only one I've seen in the metal was a terribly weathered example that was owned by a major Mopar collector here in the area.  While he had done AACA First restorations in the past, he eventually sold it to another Airflow collector who still is likely in the restoration process.  Interesting enough, because the upholstery was so deteriorated, it was possible to see how the body was constructed.  To make the panels, they had cut and welded sections of production stamping together to make the taller section height and greater length.  There was considerable leadwork to smooth the seams.  All the glass was broken, the owner told how me much it would cost to have a new bend glass windshield made, a stagging figure. 

Steve  

46 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Craig:

Thanks for posting the 1934-'35 Chrysler Custom Imperial Series CW limousine.  The only one I've seen in the metal was a terribly weathered example that was owned by a major Mopar collector here in the area.  While he had done AACA First restorations in the past, he eventually sold it to another Airflow collector who still is likely in the restoration process.  Interesting enough, because the upholstery was so deteriorated, it was possible to see how the body was constructed.  To make the panels, they had cut and welded sections of production stamping together to make the taller section height and greater length.  There was considerable leadwork to smooth the seams.  All the glass was broken, the owner told how me much it would cost to have a new bend glass windshield made, a stagging figure. 

Steve  

I was unaware that more than two of these existed. One a '34 and the other a '35. The '35 I think was the Major Bowes car, but this doesn't look like it, unless it's ben repainted. So... How many exist?

15 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

I was unaware that more than two of these existed. One a '34 and the other a '35. The '35 I think was the Major Bowes car, but this doesn't look like it, unless it's ben repainted. So... How many exist?

Jim F can chime in............he will know.

This Panhard was exhibited at a concours in Europe , body by Belvelette. It has a full 'belly pan' to keep the lines flowing and not be distracted by chassis details , a V windshield made of flat panels. The windshield would open on a hinge at the enter top section.  The mascot/hood ornament/radiator car was cast brass and most likely weighed about 3 pounds.

PanhardBelvaletteBODY1930.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I'm going to just say "interesting" on that one, but WOW!! Thanks for posting it.

On one hand, I was thinking that the full underbelly cover was meant to reduce the amount of dust getting into the cabin, but then, I think full fenders would help a lot more in that regard.

I wonder what color it was painted.

• Like 1

Book on Dietrich has been written - I proof read it as a courtesy some years ago, but have yet to see a copy for sale etc. was done by someone in New Mexico where RD lived in his retirement years. Author is not a "car person" and there was illness in her family so that did not help .  Publisher is the problem getting it out, not sure why.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Thanks for posting the sedan version.  

I saw a convertible sedan at the Imperial Palace Museum several years ago:  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/stove-huggers-the-non-studebaker-forum/47622-orphan-of-the-day-11-27-1940-horch

Craig

The 930 was a V8 and a step down expense wise from the 853 which was a straight 8.  I think they were making them side by side in 38/39.