COMMON SCAM: If you receive a private message from a new member offering a part, make sure to thoroughly verify it. It’s your responsibility to ensure it’s not a scam. Report any suspicious users immediately. ×

Rustoleum Heavy Duty Farm Impliment paint

erichill

I picked this up from Tractor Supply. Had not seen it before. But i have to say this paint is nice and thick and fills pitted metals and deep grooves nicely,  Had these deep grooves in the wheel hub below, and this is just one coat and wasn't applying it heavy but the paint  filled them.  They also had semi gloss black that I can see myself using on some of the frame components that are pretty pitted. Anyway thought some might find this useful. 

IMG_8038 (1).jpg

IMG_8058.jpg

IMG_8060.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

My local farm store carries an alkyd enamel made by Van Sickle, Lincoln, Nebraska.  Comes in all the tractor colours, black and red oxide primer too, and I've been happy with the paint,  Good luck with your project, Gary

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JFranklin said:

Might just be the original formula re-labeled since they are making latex otherwise. It looks just like the paint I remember.

I figured that too but thought what the heck.  It is thicker than their normal enamel paint. I imagine it wont go as far, but for covering up badly pitted metals is what I will use it for.

I have heard a number of positive comments on this particular paint.  My own experience with Rustoleum products has been excellent over the past 50 years (can’t believe I am old enough to say that…).

• Like 4

I was just in TS the other day looking at the gallons of farm implement paints!  I was amazed how many different colors of RED they had!  Maybe 4-6?  Massey Ferguson, International Harvester, etc…. Prices seemed reasonable too.

• Like 3

Wonder how it stands up to UV light?  Rustoleum paints at one time had a reputation for turning dull when exposed to sunshine for extended periods of time.  They were always thought to be great on chassis and areas where the sun doesn't shine!

Terry

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Wonder how it stands up to UV light?  Rustoleum paints at one time had a reputation for turning dull when exposed to sunshine for extended periods of time.  They were always thought to be great on chassis and areas where the sun doesn't shine!

Terry

It still does. Applied black Rustoleum paint to a mailbox and within several months it looked like it was painted with dull gray paint.

• Like 1

It does seem to fade a little with age and maybe the hardener may help with that. I just use it on chassis  and small parts but I don't think I'd use it as a finish coat on a car. I did paint some wooden rocking chairs with it and it's held up really well throughout the summer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, barry22 said:

It still does. Applied black Rustoleum paint to a mailbox and within several months it looked like it was painted with dull gray paint.

I too painted a metal exterior door with Rustoleum and within a year it looked "chalky".  Not the best IMO.

For the paint from tractor supply, I use the tractor paint.  It seems to hold up well, at least from my experience. 

• Like 1