1937 Dodge Truck TINY HOUSE Project - Pull The Trigger..?????

Wowabunga

I'd like to fabricate a small tiny house and place it on the family farm as a get away cabin.  The family farm overlooks a scenic creek, and since I've been a vintage car nut for the past 2 decades I'm thinking I'd like to do a theme along those lines.  I have put a deposit down on the truck and need to pay up this week or walk a way.  A few important questions have risen...

The photo of the old truck tiny home with rusted tin exterior is my desired end result.  The overhang on top the cab will be the bedroom and I already have a nice 4x7ft pane glass window to replicate the effect as seen in the other photo of the storage container style tiny house.

The 1937 Dodge photographed is the truck as it sits that I plan to buy....

Will it be difficult to find tires if I ever need to replace...?

Will it be difficult to put the tires on ?

Will the brakes seize up quickly... should I remove the pads...?

Once built the tiny house will be a "doll house" on the inside and rough on the exterior.  That "contrast thingie" should turn a few eyes.   I don't expect to move the house much, but we have a small tractor to aide that if it comes around.

Any potential issues I might wish to consider at this juncture...?

Thanks for your time,

Ramblin Randy   

3x collage.jpg

Edited by Wowabunga (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Wowabunga said:

I'd like to fabricate a small tiny house and place it on the family farm as a get away cabin.  The family farm overlooks a scenic creek, and since I've been a vintage car nut for the past 2 decades I'm thinking I'd like to do a theme along those lines.  I have put a deposit down on the truck and need to pay up this week or walk a way.  A few important questions have risen...

The photo of the old truck tiny home with rusted tin exterior is my desired end result.  The overhang on top the cab will be the bedroom and I already have a nice 4x7ft pane glass window to replicate the effect as seen in the other photo of the storage container style tiny house.

The 1937 Dodge photographed is the truck as it sits that I plan to buy....

Once built the tiny house will be a "doll house" on the inside and rough on the exterior.  That "contrast thingie" should turn a few eyes.   I don't expect to move the house much, but we have a small tractor to aide that if it comes around.

Any potential issues I might wish to consider at this juncture...?

Thanks for your time,

Ramblin Randy   

3x collage.jpg

You may want to find a copy of this book. LOADS of cool ideas in there....

IMG_3984 (2).JPG

IMG_3985 (2).JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Wowabunga said:

Post the size. If they are 8.25-20 or something similar, you should have no trouble getting them. Gobs of trucks used the same tires (for the same tonnage) for decades. Truck tires are huge and thus expensive.

I recommend learning to swear in several languages as preparation.

All kidding aside, if they are locking ring rims, any shop that caters to large over-the-road trucks should be able to handle it. If you had to do it you would need to go into full restoration mode though, and strip them and blast them and paint, at the very least in the areas hidden by the tire, and the areas where the locking ring parts fit together. If seriously eaten away by rust, they are dangerous and nobody is going to touch them. In that case you'll need to get better ones. If you mount them yourself, which I do NOT recommend, wrap logging chain around the tires and through the big holes in several places and bolt it solidly before attempting to inflate a freshly mounted tire. Control the air from a distance when they are first inflated (no holding the air chuck on the stem like a normal car).

If they're not locking ring rims, all bets are off. You may need to get different wheels. It looks like you are missing a couple of wheels on the back.

It's got drum brakes so no pads. If they're going to seize though, they probably already have. The reality is you will probably have to completely go through the brakes and wheel bearings to get even a minimum of function. Brake parts for big trucks are expensive. Some of it may be salvageable, but I would expect this to be a significant cost.

There's a tow boom on the back I won't need.  Anyone want a Weaver 2 ton boom for cheep...?

Someone will want that for sure. In which state or province is it located?

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bloo said:

Post the size. If they are 8.25-20 or something similar, you should have no trouble getting them. Gobs of trucks used the same tires (for the same tonnage) for decades. Truck tires are huge and thus expensive.

I recommend learning to swear in several languages as preparation.

Bloo you have really been a blessing with your detailed answers...!   The tires are 7.00-20 tires.  The other 2 rear wheels are sitting off to the side.  Is this going to be a problem to source this size tire..?

Learning to swear in several languages gave me a nice chuckle.... again thanks for the perspective.   The truck is on the Maryland // Pennsylvania line near interstate I-81.   See also my reply to Keiser31.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keiser31 said:

You may want to find a copy of this book. LOADS of cool ideas in there....

The vision I have for this truck is a remote cabin on wheels / personal library.   Some folks have reading nooks under their stairways or up in their attic spaces... I wan't a reading "space" facing a creek on the family farm.  The photo with the back porch was cute thanks.

I'm not thinking the rig would ever go on the road, I just don't like the idea of breaking down and needing a industrial sized wrecker for rescue.  I do want the rig to be able to be pulled by the farm tractor to an alternative location from time to time.  If I don't affix it to the ground then the gumbment won't raise the taxes right.

Asking price is $1200 and silly me I haven't done any research on what a 1930's commercial truck ( not running ) market value might be.   

• Like 1

That Weaver Crane/winch is worth some $$. Folks always looking for those to do period tow trucks. You can get half the price for the truck out of the crane I'd think.

Post photos of what you end up doing. Interesting project!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

Might wan to check you local ordinances for “tiny” house regulations too.  

It's never going to go on the public road.  Just might get hauled from on scenic overlook to another on the family farm.   I already own a vintage Shasta camper, looking for the challenge of making this rig a customized quiet space to sit and contemplate.   If the regulators give me a hard time I'll fill it with chickens and call it a day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Wowabunga said:

It's never going to go on the public road.  Just might get hauled from on scenic overlook to another on the family farm.   I already own a vintage Shasta camper, looking for the challenge of making this rig a customized quiet space to sit and contemplate.   If the regulators give me a hard time I'll fill it with chickens and call it a day.

Locally a family wanted to put a tiny portable home on their land and the township got wind of it and told them they needed to meet a bunch of code things for that to happen.  Just wanted to give you a little heads up.

Well... tires are available but they are salty at about $300 to $350 each.   The cheeper ones are Samson but they are out of stock at $180 each.

Are there any commercial vehicles ( buses etc. ) that might use 7.00x20, because I don't really need new tires, just some decent used.

I'm getting nervous about the very dangerous rims... what if I can't find a shop locally to change out the tires.  Someone hold my hand and tell me everything's going to be ok :)

wheel front.jpg

wheel rear.jpg

A set of used tires and/or tubes should be available if you search for them. No need to match brands or tread design - just the size. For dragging around the farm, there is no need for new tires at any price. Check all the tire shops you can (phone calls will do) as well as craigslist and Facebook market place. You might end up with a set that will serve your needs for next to nothing. New tubes appear to cost $20. to $30. on the internet.

I could not tell from your photos whether or not the wheels were "split rims", with a demountable ring. But either way, I'd have a shop mount your tires. Ask the shops as you search for tires and explain your project.

As long as the truck rolls, I wouldn't worry about brakes. You can probably rig a tow chain and rigid bracing to your tractor so that the truck doesn't wander as you tow it on the farm. Once you are on location, throw a log or two against the tires to act as a chock block to prevent movement. 

In my opinion, you should be able to work the sales price of the truck down. There's not a big market for non-running, "rustic", large truck projects - other than scrap.

Good luck and have fun with the build.

Edited by Twisted Shifter (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Twisted Shifter said:

A set of used tires and/or tubes should be available if you search for them. No need to match brands or tread design - just the size. For dragging around the farm, there is no need for new tires at any price. Check all the tire shops you can (phone calls will do) as well as craigslist and Facebook market place.

I usually do days of research on a project but this time I'm just winging things... and I REALLY APPRECIATE THE THOUGHTS.

1 hour ago, Twisted Shifter said:

In my opinion, you should be able to work the sales price of the truck down. There's not a big market for non-running, "rustic", large truck projects - other than scrap.

Good luck and have fun with the build.

I've just joined two facebook truck groups for Dodge trucks from the 30's and I'll ask about the rims, dangers and availability.  I chuckle with your wording on "rustic large projects" because it certainly fits that bill.   

I wonder if an agricultural or construction vehicle tire shop could fill the existing tires with foam? You then would never have to worry that they will go flat.  

I also have a 1955 large Dodge truck and was wondering if there is a company that could remove the wheel centers and mate them to a more common 19.5 inch wheel.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wyankee said:

I wonder if an agricultural or construction vehicle tire shop could fill the existing tires with foam? You then would never have to worry that they will go flat.  

B I N G O....!!!!    I was drifting half way between "sleep" and a state of "am I nuts" when I also pondered about just filling the tires with something.  It would have to carry some weight.

So what would I fill them with...?  

A fellow out of Indiana offered a set of used tires this morning.  I'm encouraged.  My enthusiasm is improving: a they say when you're going neck to neck... don't hit the deck.

Don't waste your time and money on the truck. Just build a little cabin. If necessary call it a tool shed or dog house for building permit purposes. Once it is built you can change your mind and move in.

Near where I live is a beach front community originally small summer cottages on small lots.  They have all been improved and fixed up nice. But, owners are not allowed to make them bigger. But they can build on a garage. On hot days you can drive down the street and see all the garages with the doors open and inside living room furniture, sofa, TV, carpet, all complete. The point is, it is possible to meet the building codes and still get what you want.

42 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

The point is, it is possible to meet the building codes and still get what you want.

I spent 20 years selling vintage auto parts and now I'm departing that hobby ( farming will be the new interest ) and I sorta am waxing nostalgic and I like the idea of a tiny house hiding inside a heap of old iron.  Appreciate the the thought Rusty..!

On 12/17/2022 at 1:43 PM, Wowabunga said:

If you are determined, at least let me answer your questions. Since you do not plan to drive or use the truck on the road there is no reason for the tires to wear out. Unless they are absolutely falling apart they should last as long as you need them. Worst case, you might have to take the tire off the rim, clean off rust and paint the rim then put the tire back on with a new inner tube. Filling them with foam may prevent them going flat. You may be able to do this with foam insulation from the hardware store.

Will it be difficult to put the tires on? Yes that is why you take them to a tire shop.

Will the brakes seize up quickly? Not if they are adusted. If you are concerned you could back off the adjustment a few notches to make sure. This may require taking off the brakes and freeing up the mechanism. It is probably rusted up by now. If the wheels turn when you tow the truck they are probably going to be ok.

16 minutes ago, Crusty Trucker said:

Make sure your project includes good window screens, Mosquito netting, and storage space for  bug spray.

Thanks for the big belly laugh...!!!!   We are lucky that all the water on the property the water stays moving.  Mosquitos don't like moving water ( they do love old tires ) and we have had very little in the way of them.

3 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Another way to get around building codes is to build a shed on skids or sled runners.  It is portable if it can be towed by a tractor. A couple of 6X6 pressure treated timbers, rounded at the ends will make a good foundation.

Sounds like you are saying that he should build an ice fishing hut - no one ever said how close or far away you have to be to a body of water that freezes over, just make sure that you add one hole in the floor with a hatch for authenticity. 

The local fire chief is an acquaintance, I always joked that I built my wife's garden shed big enough to put in a bed in just in case, he quickly corrected m and said nope, put in a lazy boy then it's not sleeping accommodations and fire regs don't apply (said with a knowing wink and smile).  Sometimes it pays to know those who know.

I say go for it, make it so that it rolls just enough to drag it up in late fall and back down after the spring rains.  Looks to me like an adult tree house.  This sales brochure cover might offer a bit of inspiration

20221209_114441[1].jpg

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2022 at 12:47 PM, Wowabunga said:

There's a tow boom on the back I won't need.  Anyone want a Weaver 2 ton boom for cheep...?

20220817_152645.jpg

20220817_152639.jpg

We have one just like that on our museum tow truck project.  all blasted and painted looks good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 3macboys said:

Looks to me like an adult tree house. 

Going to fill it with books.  And nap a lot.

You sound like a lot of fun maybe we can go ice fishing one of these days... next few years ahead is going to be bumpy, maybe after the storm.

Interchange Question: Are there any newer rims that will fit this truck..?  Just something I can use until I can fix the older tires.

Good news is I have someone offering to give me his old tires when he changes out to new tires on his 1937 Dodge...!  But he lives 600 miles away.

11 hours ago, Wowabunga said:

Good news is I have someone offering to give me his old tires when he changes out to new tires on his 1937 Dodge...!  But he lives 600 miles away.

This may be a good deal. Shipping four or six tires should not be too expensive, considering they are free to begin with. Check the rates at Greyhound Bus Freight and also at Fastenal. Both have been quite reasonable compared to other shippers in the past.  Fastenal may require the tires to be strapped to a pallet. You will have to  compensate the sender for his time, effort, and shipping material, too.

Alternately, weather depending, take the wife and/or dog on an a little vacation to pick up the tires, relax and see a few sites at the same time.  I'm sure the person with the tires will hold them for you until your schedule permits the trip. 

Edited by f.f.jones (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2022 at 3:57 PM, JamesR said:

I'm taken with this corrugated creation that Wowabunga posted. I don't necessarily like the look of it...but I'd absolutely LOVE the look on my wife's face if I told her that we'd be taking our next vacation in this thing!😄

metalcamper.jpg

Is that a two story or a single story with a "loft"?  Definitely a love shack with that big heart on the side.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Larry Schramm said:

Definitely a love shack with that big heard on the side.

Oh great now the B52's are running through my mind....Tin roof rusted.....I've got me a Chrysler as big as a whale....

Both lines seem appropriate to this thread

• Haha 1

On 12/20/2022 at 1:33 AM, c49er said:

Those 5 bolt X 20" rims are used all the way up into the 60's on Dodge, Ford,Studebaker, International and many other 1-1/2 to 2 ton medium duty trucks.

Older junk yards might have them...

I do too come on over to the Seattle area!

You give words of comfort c49er... because these rims on the truck are toast.   I usually do a ton of research before I buy something, but this time emotion was driving.  Several rims are rusted straight thru so I'm going to need 4 to 6 replacement rims.  My 1940's Hollander interchange does not give commercial interchange info... wondering where I could find interchange info on big trucks.  I'm heading to the military website G503 and ask the Dodge Power Wagon owners.   I've been away from the web over Christmas and my big worry nagging at me was I'd have to crush the truck, sell the Weaver Tow Boom and call it a lesson learned.   

toast.jpg