Goldarn Mice

packick

The mice seem to be loving the stuffing from the seat in my old Buick.  I only drive it once a month they have ample time to do their thing.  They have pulled a lot of the stuffing out and it's all over the place.  Is there a mouse-resistant stuffing that you can use to deter the mice from doing this?  I assume the stuffing is used to stop the seat springs from squeaking (no pun intended).

I have always used Mint extract on the wiring, interior (in a bowl with cotton) and on all the tires of my cars when I store them. rodents hate the smell of mint like spearmint and peppermint. This way is to deter them away and it is much better smelling than decaying rodents in the seat, headliner, heater box, ect..  when they eat the poison and crawl in to those spots to say their farewells.  I also have bought it in large quantity at the local restaurant supply store and put it in a hand pump sprayer and sprayed it around the perimeter of the shop on the out side and inside.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have a one-car igloo that I store my Reatta in from Nov to Apr each year.  I fill tuna cans with moth balls and place the cans around and under the car.  I never put moth balls inside the car.... can't stand the lingering smell in an interior.  In nine years of igloo storage, I've never has a mouse problem.  And I do know they're present in my back acreage.

These are for sale on Ebay. Placed in strategic locations they could deter mice from roaming the garage.

Mount them on Popsicle sticks near entry points.

Look for mouse droppings about 6-10" in front of them check the effectiveness.

Mouse Skull Real Tiny Mouse Skulls Cleaned Whitened image 7

• Haha 11

Old-tank's advice about a snake is actually a good one.  I kept a very nice Internation Super A tractor in a shed, and the tractor had a NOS covered seat that was never touched by the mice.  A black snake took up residence in the shed and took care of the mice.  I would notice mouse droppings from time to time, but never saw the snake.  I became aware of his existence, because I found one of the skins that he had shed.  Never used Decon or any other poisons.  He was in that shed for years.  If you could find one, your problem would be solved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Rusty Heaps said:

It was mentioned on another site that you could put a radio tuned into a talk show in your garage, it may help. The person swore that they never had mice in their garage. 

Heck, talk radio would keep ME out of the garage.

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Haha 5

I agree with First Born.  I would prefer the mice as opposed to Talk Radio.  Anyway, my wife found some packets that are supposed to deter mice.  They smell like mint.  You put one or two around the car, NOT in the car.  I also put one in my office in the garage.  The scent is quite powerful but pleasing to the nose.  We will see if they work.  Or maybe they are like, wait for it . . . . . . . . snake oil.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When it comes to cars and animals,  always listen to Old Tanks advice.  He is a retired vet, but not retired from old cars. 

I have a cat but have never see evidence that it catches mice or birds,  they may have some animal agreement not to enter 

the other ones territory.    I have no problem with mice but do have a raccoon or possum that get into my cat food. 

20 hours ago, packick said:

Anyway, my wife found some packets that are supposed to deter mice.  They smell like mint.  You put one or two around the car, NOT in the car.  I also put one in my office in the garage.

This is similar to a remedy that I've been using for years in my garage, except I use cayenne pepper.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 10:43 AM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:
On 12/16/2022 at 7:36 AM, Rusty Heaps said:

It was mentioned on another site that you could put a radio tuned into a talk show in your garage, it may help. The person swore that they never had mice in their garage. 

Heck, talk radio would keep ME out of the garage.

I had trouble with squirrels in my sheds. So I placed old clock radios in them tuned to news radio. Helped for a season, then they got used to it and I finally put the hardware cloth over the eves to keep them out. The following year I guess one squirrel still wanted in and started eating through the siding! I put aluminum plates over its attempts and so far, no more problem. But the squirrels seemed to have kept the mice out.;)

• Like 1

I’ve tried just about everything to keep mice out. I tried to seal everywhere I think they could get in.  I’ve tried the machines that plug in and create a high frequency. I didn’t have much luck with them. I’ve tried D-con. I end up finding dead mice in the most obscure nooks in the cars and shop. Best thing I found that works for me is botanical rodent repellent. I have been able to buy it at Tractor Supply. It works for a few months. I’ve tried other natural rodent repellent with less luck. The I spray the perimeter of the shop with Mouse free. I bought it at a local RV center. Just my 2 cents but it works for me. 

C925903B-529F-4256-9CF9-BEBBC5E47574.jpeg

F23D43D0-9C0D-4552-9DC6-CAAB5E564F77.jpeg

Finally got around to dropping the pan on this seized '30 chevy "barn engine". I bought it for parts years ago.

Mice built a nest inside the oil pan. Must be they crawled in through the oil fill hole.

The rodent housing market must be hurting... low inventory.😀image.jpeg.eb232f11f0c75b38a343cecb4bddb8d8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/19/2022 at 10:21 AM, 60FlatTop said:

Is that a Farmer's Wife brand paper cutter?

No, It's an old Niagara sheet metal jump shear. Probably 100 years old and still operational.

• Like 1