Hidden in plain sight

junkyardjeff

Wanted a stereo in my 55 Ford but did not want to do any damage,found a non working 8 track player and hinged the front and added a modern stereo. I installed a Bluetooth radio a few years ago just for when I got a phone so I can play my music through it.  Well tonight I paired the radio to the phone,was listening to Sirius through a app on the phone.

IMG_20221208_191321903.jpg

IMG_20221208_190731833.jpg

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, oldcarfudd said:

When I want music, I try to sing over the clicking of the buzz coils.  (I get hoarse very quickly.)

Just like back then. They were always telling you to "get a hoarse".

.....I'll show myself out

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Now there are devices made to hook up a phone to the original radio but my radio does not work and the car has been converted to 12 volts.  I love the sound of a tube radio over the modern ones but when there is no one locally who can fix those old radios there is not much that can be done to have some tunes.  I thought about having the original radio converted but could get better sound and much cheaper doing it this way.

7 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Is Sirius a free app?

Might have to have the grandson hook me up.

No, it’s a fee based system.  Wife just renewed her car’s subscription. About $100 a year provided you tell them you’re not going to pay the $299 a year subscription price they usually quote.

• Like 1

I made it clear to Sirius that radio has always been free from the air and that is all that I will pay.

Truck came with free six months, and I didn't really miss it when it went dead.

But I guess it there was a 'work around'....

I enjoy Sirius Radio when on long distance trips, To much time wasted searching for good local stations @ 70 MPH.

I would buy it, if it was far all the cars, paying for each car is nuts and we seldom travel in the same car.

I have a Sirius subscription on a portable radio that I can use in any car if the radio has a aux input and if you have a subscription the app on the phone is free.  I have a boom box that radio goes in and use it in the house and will use the phone for all road trips after I put Bluetooth radios in the rest of them.

I went a different way about 12 years ago, to get music in my 50 Ford F1. I hid an amp up on top of the glove box, it ran on 4 AA batteries so I wired it directly to the 6 volt ignition switch. Mounted two speakers on a piece of masonite to hide behind the original speaker grill and ran a wire up into the ash tray and just plugged in my iPod and later iPhone. I have since added a bluetooth adapter so the iPhone can stay in my pocket.

Speakers-Open.jpg
Speakers-Finished.jpg

2 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Do you sing "In My Merry Oldsmobile" while driving your merry Oldsmobile?

Actually, Wayne, I did do that once.  I was on an HCCA tour in Amish country. I was the only guy driving a single-cylinder, and a young Amishman with two young boys and a little girl took a huge interest in the CDO.  I was answering all kinds of questions.  I asked the man if I could take each of his kids for a short ride, up a road where he could watch us, and he agreed.  I took each boy. When it was the girl's turn, her dad looked at her next to me on the seat and said: "You look like you're in a courtin' buggy!"  I said that it once had been a courtin' buggy, and I sang her the song.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oldcarfudd said:

Actually, Wayne, I did do that once.  I was on an HCCA tour in Amish country. I was the only guy driving a single-cylinder, and a young Amishman with two young boys and a little girl took a huge interest in the CDO.  I was answering all kinds of questions.  I asked the man if I could take each of his kids for a short ride, up a road where he could watch us, and he agreed.  I took each boy. When it was the girl's turn, her dad looked at her next to me on the seat and said: "You look like you're in a courtin' buggy!"  I said that it once had been a courtin' buggy, and I sang her the song.

What a wonderful story!

My grandmother loved music, and tried to teach all the grandchildren some appreciation for it. Among other things, she played the mandolin, and that was one of her favorite songs.

Back onto topic, many years ago I saved a small radio cabinet from the late 1920s that had been gutted. I hid a cassette player and speaker in it to play my roaring '20s music at car shows and picnics. All my "collector" cars predate automobile radios being practical, so I never really had an incentive to trick out anything in the cars themselves.