Steering Wheel Back From Restoration

Riviera63

This summer I made the decision that that my steering wheel needed restoration. Before I go any further:

Yes, I know that this is something I could attempt to do myself.

Yes, I know there are various vendors that sell steering wheel restoration kits.

Yes, I know there are videos on YouTube showing how to do this.

I applaud those of you that have undertaken wheel restoration on your own. I felt in my situation that the damage was severe enough on my wheel to warrant having a professional do it and truthfully, it is not something that  I would want to attempt. 

I found out that there are not many people out there that do this. The first place I contacted was a company that advertises in the Riview, Quality Restorations. If you have a 63-65 Riviera, do not contact them as they do remolds and they do not have the mold for our wheels. Even though, on his website it says, "If I don't have the mold he will create one". I know he has turned down others besides myself.

There were 2 other outfits that I found that did wheel restoration.  I am sure with more digging I may have been able to find more. I decided to go with "Steering Wheel Bob". I cannot be more happy with his service and his results. It was not cheap but, I do not mind spending the money to get things done correctly. I have attached before and after pictures. The after pictures I do not do it justice. 

Bill

IMG_8757.JPG

IMG_8758.JPG

IMG_8759.JPG

IMG_8760.JPG

IMG_8762.JPG

IMG_8764.JPG

IMG_9162.JPG

IMG_9163.JPG

IMG_9164.JPG

IMG_9165.JPG

IMG_9166.JPG

IMG_9167.JPG

IMG_9168.JPG

IMG_9169.JPG

IMG_9170.JPG

IMG_9171.JPG

Edited by Riviera63 (see edit history)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Bill, I’m delighted you posted your restored steering wheel. You are right handy with small parts repair. I can understand a person wondering do I have the right tools? More important, do I have enough knowledge of abrasives?

im not sure I have either the correct tools or the correct abrasives. I do have some hours at the bench sanding metal.

I just so happen to have a 63 black steering wheel I am repairing/refinishing/fixing. Im some distance from completing the repair. I have just enough confidence I can make an acceptable repair someone would be willing to pay to have. We shall see.

I will say your steering wheel is an outstanding example to emulate.

Turbinator

1 hour ago, Byondxtrme said:

Looks great! How long did it take him? And if you don’t mind me asking, how bad did it hurt? 

I sent it to him on November 7. I mailed a check to him last week and it arrived today. 1 month door to door. It was expensive. More than $500 and less than $1000. Everyone's wheel will be different. I sent him pictures and he gave me the estimate. He stayed with the estimate. He said that these Riviera wheels are a little more time consuming because of the chrome rings and the space that develops on each side of them due to shrinkage. Filling those gaps on each side is not easy. He does other things besides just fill the gaps. If the cracks/gaps are severe enough, as they were in my case, he will will bridge those gaps with small "rebar" (for lack of a better term) to keep the repair stronger and less likely to separate again. Good guy, easy to work with.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turbinator said:

Bill, I’m delighted you posted your restored steering wheel. You are right handy with small parts repair. I can understand a person wondering do I have the right tools? More important, do I have enough knowledge of abrasives?

im not sure I have either the correct tools or the correct abrasives. I do have some hours at the bench sanding metal.

I just so happen to have a 63 black steering wheel I am repairing/refinishing/fixing. Im some distance from completing the repair. I have just enough confidence I can make an acceptable repair someone would be willing to pay to have. We shall see.

I will say your steering wheel is an outstanding example to emulate.

Turbinator

Thanks Bob. I do consider myself fairly handy but, this is just one of those things I felt best left to the experts. All things considered, this is one of the items on my car that I did not want to take the chance of screwing it up.

Bill

14 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

I sent it to him on November 7. I mailed a check to him last week and it arrived today. 1 month door to door. It was expensive. More than $500 and less than $1000. Everyone's wheel will be different. I sent him pictures and he gave me the estimate. He stayed with the estimate. He said that these Riviera wheels are a little more time consuming because of the chrome rings and the space that develops on each side of them due to shrinkage. Filling those gaps on each side is not easy. He does other things besides just fill the gaps. If the cracks/gaps are severe enough, as they were in my case, he will will bridge those gaps with small "rebar" (for lack of a better term) to keep the repair stronger and less likely to separate again. Good guy, easy to work with.

Bill

It came out great! Good call, I would have done the same, and most likely will one day. Thanks for the post! 

I saved the business card image to an interior file. Labeled "Steering Wheel Service" so I can find it. You certainly couldn't ask for a better job.

In the same situation I probably would have still been looking for a used one. "Since 1967" means a lot. And the price is pretty good when you consider how many old car owners still think in 1967 (or much earlier) pricing.

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

If he's not an ROA member, he might have to pay a small fee for the ad.  That's up to Ray Knott.

If recommended by an ROA member they may advertise for free. Bob has gotten back to me and has declined the offer. He said he has more than enough business to keep him busy. He mentioned that he is now 84, that his wife is in ill health and he needs to spend more time with her. He did go on to say that people like me/us give him a reason to wake up every day. I think if someone would reach out to him he would do a wheel for you, The worst thing that could happen is he would say no.

Bill 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 6:19 PM, Riviera63 said:

He did go on to say that people like me/us give him a reason to wake up every day. I think if someone would reach out to him he would do a wheel for you, The worst thing that could happen is he would say no.

Great testimonial.

I've been keeping an eye out for an OE Buick Wood Wheel which is not correct for 1963. With this post, I have abandoned the idea. I've grown to accept my original 63 wheel.

Thanks for posting Bill!

• Like 2

Money well spent as the steering wheel is what often meets our eye as we drive our Rivieras!

Someone in New Jersey needs to ask Steering Wheel Bob if he'll take on an apprentice so his skill-set honed over 55 years can be passed on to the next generation.

• Like 2