1941 Oldsmobile Four Door Convertible

1937hd45

• 1937hd45 changed the title to 1941 Oldsmobile Four Door Convertible
52 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Picked up a 1941 Oldsmobile sales brochure in a box of literature today, don't think I've seen one in real life. Bit newer that what I'm normally attracted to, but it caught my attention. Did they share a lot of Cadillac body parts, must be a short production run. 

DSCF0481.JPG

I don't think I ever saw one either, seldom ever see any 41 cars. I remember my Father had a 41 Chevy Convertible back in the early 90's and it was pretty rare and that would be considered common in comparison to the Oldsmobile depicted in the brochure. Some site on the internet claims that 125 were made, but that seems high to me. 

• Like 1

Possibly GM B platform.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_B_platform

As Buick, cheaper Cadi's and the like

The B platform (also known as the B body) is a full-size rear-wheel drive car platform produced by General Motors (GM) from 1926 to 1996. Originally made for Oldsmobile and Buick, all of General Motors's five main makes would use it at some point. It was closely related to the original rear-wheel drive C and D platforms, and was used for convertibles, hardtops, coupes, sedans, and station wagons. With approximately 12,960,000 units built, divided across four marques, the 1965-70 B platform is the fourth best selling automobile platform in history after the Volkswagen Beetle, Ford Model T and the Lada Riva.[1]

Originally, the B platform was used for Buick and Oldsmobile products, with the A platform for Chevrolet and Oakland, and the C and D platforms devoted to Cadillac. During the General Motors companion make program, Vikings and Marquettes were also manufactured on this platform, as were La Salles from 1936 to 1940. The B platform became GM's base model platform in 1958, when all existing Chevrolet products were upgraded to the B platform.

The B platform was used for the Pontiac Streamliner Torpedo and Streamliner, the Oldsmobile L-Series, Series 70 and Series 88, the Buick Special and Century, the LaSalle Series 50 and the Cadillac Series 60, Series 61 and Series 63.

Maybe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_C_platform_(1925)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_98

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

The same body was used for Buck, Cadillac and Oldsmobile. I believe it was also used for Pontiacs only in 1941. Cadillac made just at 300 convertible sedans in 1941 then discontinued the 4 door convertible series. I have # 279 of the last production run of Cadillacs convertible sedans

brasscarguy

• Like 2

There's been some discussion of the 1941 Phaeton in the Oldsmobile forums. The Cola family in LINY has one, and I think the Sandys and Bob Petters in NJ have also owned them. Low production combined with the War pretty much doomed continued production of all the GM Phaeton bodystyles. But good lord are they gorgeous automobiles.

• Like 1

The Classic Car Data base shows that only 119 units were built.

https://www.classiccardatabase.com/search.php?year=1941&make=Oldsmobile&series=498

Custom 8 series 98, L-head 257.1 cu.in., 125 in. wheel base

Make    

1941 Oldsmobile Custom 8 Series 98, 125 in. wheelbase

Model No. Doors Passengers Original Price No. Produced
Select Club Coupe 2 6 $1079.00 6305
Select Convertible Coupe 2 6 $1227.00 1263
Select Convertible Phaeton 4 6 $1575.00 119
Select Sedan 4 6 $1135.00 22081

Edited by Twisted Shifter (see edit history)
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, brasscarguy said:

The same body was used for Buck, Cadillac and Oldsmobile. I believe it was also used for Pontiacs only in 1941. Cadillac made just at 300 convertible sedans in 1941 then discontinued the 4 door convertible series. I have # 279 of the last production run of Cadillacs convertible sedans

brasscarguy

Cadillac built 400 Series 62 convertible sedans in 1941.

The one that is here on long island and is owned by the Cola family was a regular sight at car shows about 30 years ago. Carlo Cola the owner was a great guy and loved his car, it was beautiful. I recall seeing one in a used car lot on Merrick Road in Valley Stream, NY in the early 1970s.

Yes the Buick used the same body shell but not for all series. The Special and Limited in 1940 used a different body, the Roadmaster model /series 71c had the same body as the Cadillac series 62, Oldsmobile mentioned here . I think there were a little over 200 Buick Roadmaster conv sedans made and when I did some research ( 35+ years ago) I found about a dozen left and maybe half that number still on the road and driveable. I have a 1940 Roadmaster 71c, with 49,419 miles from new on it. My car had a cosmetic restoration in 1967 in California , the engine has never been opened up but the great Doug Seybold of Ohio went through the car for me when it was on its way east from Ca. decades ago.

Great body style but you can't see squat out the back with the top up and the rear window area zipped in place. Many of this body style had two heaters - one under the passenger front seat area and the other on the inside of the firewall on the passenger side - why my car has this when it was delivered new to Ca. I will never quite understand, with both heaters on in operation you can melt the plastic knobs on the dashboard !!!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

I will never quite understand, with both heaters on in operation you can melt the plastic knobs on the dashboard !!!!!

The internals of the switches were either corroded, or not rated for the amperage of the blower motors, or even could be a bad connection of the wires at the switch. A by-product of an overloaded or poor electric connection is heat. Fuses in automobiles really did not start to become effective until the late 50's early 60's

🥶 It wasn't even that warm here on the VA/NC border this morning!

These Phaetons with their sedan-like doors, blind quarters and skirts strike me as a split-personality type car. Top down, they look airy, sporty, carefree. The kind of car you'd see at a horse track or other upper class entertainment. But put that top up and they take on a darker, almost sinister appearance. The type of car where "business" is conducted in the rear seat. 

Another thought: these were high-line and fairly exclusive cars. Buick nor Pontiac had an automatic transmission at the time, but you wonder how many of the Oldsmobile and Cadillac versions had HydraMatic vs a stick shift.

14 hours ago, Twisted Shifter said:

The Classic Car Data base shows that only 119 units were built.

https://www.classiccardatabase.com/search.php?year=1941&make=Oldsmobile&series=498

Custom 8 series 98, L-head 257.1 cu.in., 125 in. wheel base

Make    

1941 Oldsmobile Custom 8 Series 98, 125 in. wheelbase

Model No. Doors Passengers Original Price No. Produced
Select Club Coupe 2 6 $1079.00 6305
Select Convertible Coupe 2 6 $1227.00 1263
Select Convertible Phaeton 4 6 $1575.00 119
Select Sedan 4 6 $1135.00 22081

I don't know anything about the Classic Car Database, but Oldsmobile Historian Helen Early lists production at 125 in the data she has in her book Setting the Pace.

1941.png.f61e17f27e79d0f09be7b371fe4639ec.png

• Like 1

I see that my name was mentioned regarding the 41 Olds Phaeton.  I have a 1940, not 41 and Al Sandy never owned a 41 Phaeton. 

Restoration is going slowly as I am by myself and the rust out in thisbcar is overwhelming.  Have to practically make a new body but I keep plugging away.

Bob Petters

• Like 1