Did the last folks leaving Hershey turn out the lights?

greenie

It all worked out in the end, everyone cooperated and MANY vendors stayed until the end.  Hershey worked with the tent and porta-pottie companies and some things did not get moved until Saturday and Sunday.  The crowd at Hersheypark Saturday was unbelievable.  Apparently their new "entertainment" concept for October weekends was a major success and it looked like they had to go to overflow parking.  Giant Center program with Kevin Hart completely packed.  It was a very big weekend for HE&R.  So the lights never went out in Hershey!

• Like 2

One of my daughters and her husband had their camper next to us all week, and Saturday wanted to go to the haunted houses.  There were four of them set up at HersheyPark.

When they saw the crowds they hesitated.

When they saw the admission price they decided to skip it, admission to park then separate admission to haunted houses, all told right at $90 per person.  I dont know if they were charging for parking.

Multiply that times the thousands of people there Saturday, easy to understand Herco’s position on our meet….

• Thanks 1

That’s fine; and it’s nice to see the HERCO was flexible and understanding. Prior to the meet, it looked like the major tents would have to be erected Monday morning and taken down Friday evening. The vast majority of us can load our things Friday afternoon and disappear. 

No doubt, Hershey has intentions of improving the Park and increasing the tourist business. My wife insisted upon 2 trips to Chocolate World- primarily to ride the ride! She did manage a few candy purchases. 

Next year we’ll all be pro at this Monday-Friday thing. 

Yes - adapt. That's what we had to do when moved from the old Blue Field years ago.  Then, again when the first "Red field" became the new maintenance building. And...again when the old White Field went away. And...so it goes. Things change and so do we.  I was pleased to still see so many vendors on Friday.  Susan and I walked a bit coming from the Judges breakfast and actually bought a few goodies. 

See you next year.  Oh, and don't forget to bring old spark plugs for me!

Terry

• Like 1

Greenie, you are 100% correct that next year we will fine tune this event.  I am more than a little biased but it is still the best week of the year even with the tragic loss of our Library Director.  Many including me worried about the attendance on Friday and boy were we 100% wrong for our concern.  What an incredible crowd.  Food vendor lines were long all day, AACA and Region merchandise tents busy as can be and the new artist tent area was busy as well.  Despite the weather it was a great year and di you folks notice how many middle aged and younger people were around?  Pretty promising.  The glass is more than half full!

• Like 3

I think the change in dates also moved many people to set up Tuesday morning, instead of Monday. Next year(weather permitting), I intend to set up on Tuesday and save $$$ on the hotel for Monday night. Despite our efforts to the contrary, it seems the swap meet is determined to be a Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday affair. Maybe that’s enough. 

The decision to move the car show to the old golf course is one of the main reasons for the reduced swap meet traffic on the last day, in my opinion. I drive my car up to the show from Rockville, MD and once settled in my DPC spot I don’t have much time to to see anything other than the car corral and the show itself. To go to the other fields would have entailed a lot of walking. The drive up on Friday was not as bad as I feared, meaning the rush hour traffic around Harrisburg wasn’t too bad, although I didn’t see one other antique car on the road until I was close to Hershey. It turned out to be a good day and any meet with 3 Duesenbergs in it is pretty special.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird 

I drove up from Aiken SC in my 38 Studebaker, on Thursday and saw three other antique post war cars. All being trailered! All three were in the DPC just like mine. One had MD plates the other two had PA plates. Wimps! As Ed says, I drive it like I stole it and laugh all the way it’s such a good time. Hershey was great too. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, SC38dls said:

I drove up from Aiken SC in my 38 Studebaker, on Thursday and saw three other antique post war cars. All being trailered! All three were in the DPC just like mine. One had MD plates the other two had PA plates. Wimps! As Ed says, I drive it like I stole it and laugh all the way it’s such a good time. Hershey was great too. 
dave s 

Great comment Dave. I agree that if a car is trailered then it should be in a regular class not DPC. I am sure you would have and SHOULD have got the long distance award. I only had a little over an hour drive but also did not see another antique until I hit Hershey proper. I did have a late 50's caddie and a early Mustang follow me out of town on my way home though. As for the show field, I think the location was perfect. Much closer to the goings on of the flea market than when I go up as a spectator and have to park 5 miles away across the highway! My only beef was my trunk was full and I had no room to pick up anything big if I wanted to. 

My brother and I would do a lot of motorcycle touring, I would always get a kick out of people trailering their big harley touring bike to Daytona. Kinda takes the idea of what the motorcycles purpose is away. We would take a 700 mile or more round trip for lunch!

• Like 1

I’m sure someone drove further and probably in an older car. But “Driver Participation Class” looses its point for trailer queens. To me the old cars did it in there day so why not now?  I’m thinking of heading west to see friends in TX, NM then my brother in San Diego. Yes in the 38. Trip home would be by way of Chicago. About 6800 miles. Just need to convince the better half to go along and too stock up on oil. Wonder how much it would use? No definite plans yet. Kerry maybe we should meet in the keys for biker week? Heck Ed may even meet us. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2022 Hershey was Great! Arrived on the Chocolate field at 8:10 left Thursday afternoon around 6:00 my son in law had to be at work Friday. Monday was a great sale day, the good stuff sold, or was "discovered" and paid for on Tuesday or Wednesday. Found some needed items. Oldest grandson is 10 and he had his own table did very well. See you all in 2023. Bob