Road trip to Hershey

SC38dls

I’m just about set to pack up the 38 Studebaker for the 650 mile trip to Hershey. This will be my first time attending, and hopefully the car will be there too. Leaving Aiken SC, about 20 miles from the GA border, so four states to transverse. The plan is to take pics along the way to document the trip. I will try to stay off the interstate but may have to use them around the larger cities I will encounter. Just a few more things I want to check before we leave the garage. 
dave s 

9F24B76F-9905-403C-BAC3-394F39E55E09.jpeg

• Like 12

2 hours ago, SC38dls said:

I’ll go right by there, but no time to stop this trip. My daughter is in Barboursville so will be back in the area. Would love to see you shop and cars. 
dave s 

Welcome any time, not a lot to see but a messy working garage and a few cars.  The cars are scattered hither and yon, Cord at a friends shop, some in my outside warehouse…but again, welcome any time..

• Like 1

The car is in the show on Friday. It will be in a not judged class as it is a driver. 
This is the car I smashed the front end on by stopping in the trunk of a MB. Seeing more than 60 members of the forum helped me with advice on how to repair it, I thought they may want to see their handiwork! Any of it not up to par will be due to conflicting advice along with my confusion, in capability and stupidity otherwise what they did was extraordinary. It was a fun thread but way too much sanding for an old man. 
dave s  

• Like 1

Gary56 & Rocketraider I’m going US1 to I 74 to RT 29 stopping at my daughters in Barboursville. Then Rt 29 to

Rt 15 so I won’t be near I 95. Trying to stay off interstates as much as possible. So sorry Gary won’t be anywhere near your place. Rocketraider I appreciate the offer but really want to spend a little time with my daughter so have to ask for a rain check. Looking forward to my first Hershey. 
dave s 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

I’m going US1 to I 74 to RT 29 stopping at my daughters in Barboursville. Then Rt 29 to

Rt 15 so I won’t be near I 95. Trying to stay off interstates as much as possible.

Keep track of how you did it, particularly if you were able to stay off the interstates entirely. I'm planning a massive how-to thread about this soon. Your input would be appreciated.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I73-74 follows US 220. 4 lane divided highway, not sure of the speed limit as haven't been on it in over ten years.

Use I85 North around Greensboro. It runs into US 29 north of Greensboro. 4 lane divided, 70mph speed limit. This will save you going thru what locals call "Death Valley" in Greensboro.

Use US29N/US58E to go around Danville. 4 lane 65 mph.

Danville to Lynchburg is easy enough, mostly 60mph. 460E/29N will bypass Lynchburg and more importantly Madison Heights.

I don't know of any easy way to get thru Charlottesville!☹ Those people up there won't hear to building a US29 bypass around their stroppy little town! I know they've been fighting it for nearly 50 years... they demolished two Confederate memorials and got their name in the news, but they won't allow a bypass.

Another possibility is stay on 460E from Lynchburg and pick up 15N at Farmville. That will also take you to Barboursville. Or take 58/360E from Danville to South Boston, then US360E to Keysville VA and pick up US15N. These are 55/60mph speed limit roads and in good condition. Many Sheetz stations thru there have 90 octane non-ethanol gas.

If you continue on US15 into Pennsylvania, be warned getting thru Frederick MD at certain times of day can be maddening. When you cross the Potomac at Point of Rocks you're only a few miles from Joe Padavano.

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes the only part of the interstate I’ll be on is that 50 mile or so run on I 74 to I85 to 29. We’ve been coming up (in the modern car)the I77 to I85 to 29 for a while since my daughter moved from northern Va (taught at Geo Mason Univ) to Barboursville as she now teaches at UVA. 
We get off 29 prior to the main part of Charlottesville so miss most of the congestion. 
When I leave her place I can back road for a few miles to get north and back on 29 

Thanks for all the help. I’m using maps but will have iPhone backup, it just keeps trying to make me go on major roads even though I said stay off highways. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Took off this morning about 6:30 from Aiken SC. Stopped about 150 miles into the trip for gas. Averaged 15 mpg and at the first stop down less than a half qt on oil. Next 150 miles same gas mileage but about a qt + on oil not good. Third stop same mpg but 2 qts oil. Don’t know if the rear seal is loosing it as I don’t see any smoke coming out exhaust. Stopped at my daughters for the night and will head the last 180- 200 miles to Hershey Thursday early. I’ll stock up on oil and see if I can get under the car to check it. 

014682CD-FA25-4361-9E14-9F219E69786E.jpeg

• Like 5

Gas stops are a minor problem trying to get Bach on the road. Guys just wanting to talk about it. I’ve had a few 18 wheelers honk the air horns as they went by. A lot of 👍from cars passing. So overall pretty good. Hopefully I can get it cleaned up for Friday as bugs are all over the front. 
dave s 

And that proves an old car motoring down the highway makes everybody smile! They might not know what brand it is but seeing makes them happy!

Yer oil consumption issue holding steady? Just curious what it was prior to starting this trip? Maybe it's just boiling off impurities- sometimes an engine that's been lightly used will do that when it gets a chance to stretch its legs and get good and warmed up.

Before I left on this trip it was about a quart every 300-350 miles. That was usually city driving never over 40-45 mph. 
Now doing 60 for every 100 or so miles it’s down a quart. The rear seal is wood, yes wood - the wood they use around propeller shafts on boats, two very small trapezoid shape two inches long. I think it’s more from there than burning it. I’m going to stop by the area for a group of Studebaker booths tomorrow and ask if there is a replacement for this seal or I should just buy stock in an oil company. Plan for the trip from VA to Hershey tomorrow is get some oil to refill it every 75-100 miles. Same for the trip home. When it’s full at 60 it has 40 lbs of pressure. When it is down a quart it seems to drop to where the needle is just below 40 so I have an indicator it need’s refilling. Hope it continues that way and I can get it home to work on it. Maybe Ed will see it and adjust the valves and rebuild it Friday at the show? Then again maybe not. 
dave s 

Tough to diagnose via the internet, but....

* About the only thing you could check now is the crankcase aspiration/ventilation.  You need air-in and air-out, without which pressure will build up and (likely) force oil out the weakest seal (probably the rear main seal).  Do you have (like Willys) a rudimentary PCV screwed into the intake manifold?  If so, remove and clean.) Is there visible blowby at idle when you make a pit stop and leave the engine running?  Is the crankcase ventilation tube clear?  Is the latter supposed to have copper mesh at the engine end to minimize liquid exit?

* For something to address later, I tend to think that higher oil consumption at sustained highway speed is often due to high, sustained vacuum under those conditions which will suck oil past valve guides in much greater volumes than at around town or suburban driving.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No pcv that I know of at least. The vent has copper or at least had when the engine got rebuilt haven’t checked it since. Oil filler cap is stock. So it’s back to the oil plan for now. Thanks for at least giving me things to check. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls
The temp has always been around 160-165. It did get to the 170 line when I was in a construction back up sitting for 10-15 minutes going nowhere. Then it dropped back to the usual temp once we were moving. (see edit history)

If you are driving at higher speeds than you normally do, the oil consumption will be much higher. There is an oil consumption vs speed graph in my 36 Pontiac shop manual in miles per gallon (of oil) that would probably shock you. Oil consumption goes up dramatically with road speed. I believe it is typical of the period and anyone who is doing a lot better probably has had a ring job at some point with rings of a more modern postwar design.

Oil consumption can be shockingly high for another reason on cars that don't get run on the highway much. When the whole engine finally gets up to full temperature (I don't mean just the coolant) and really stabilizes, it boils out all the water and gas that has been blowing past the rings and accumulating in the oil. The oil level drops very suddenly, and people who are not expecting it can really run into trouble fast. On a postwar car with a 180 degree thermostat, this usually happens in the first long section of highway. On a prewar car like yours that probably has a really cold thermostat or none at all, I can imagine maybe it happened a little slower? I have a sneaking hunch it will be fine when you get home. Keep it full of clean oil in the meantime, and have fun at Hershey!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Bloo I hope to be there before noon tomorrow. First stop is at Walt’s spaces then the Studebaker group and if I’m still able pick up my packet for the show. 
I just purchased a supply of 20-50 oil. Hopefully I will have enough to make it to Hershey and back home. 
dave s 

• Like 1

The trip from VA to Hershey took an extra hour or so due to a major wreck on I66 eastbound about 15 miles east of the north bound route I was taking. I66 is the major E/W highway into Washington. All the traffic had to bypass this wreck as all three lanes were closed. A traffic mess that cost me a good hour. Total time was over 5 1/2 hours. Car ran fine, temp and Mpg’s oil consumption about the same. 
it was fun driving the 650 miles  with a lot of thumbs up and waves. One lady blew me a kiss then gave me the thumbs up with a big smile. A few 18 wheelers gave the air horns a toot. Now for the show tomorrow then hit the road toward home by about 1pm. 
With luck the 38 will make it back south as well as it ran north. 
dave s 

• Like 4

I had a great time. Thanks for all that stopped by the 38 to check it out and see the repairs you all helped me with. 
Bill lunch was great and the directions to get to 15 worked out well. Kerry I really like your trans am. It was great to put faces with forum friends. 
Made it back to VA and staying over night at my daughters then on to Aiken tomorrow. The car ran very well the lights even stay on for the last hour or so of the trip. First time I drove it at night for any distance. 
dave s 

• Like 3

Bill and Dave (and anyone not named) Def great to meet you guys in person. I had a great time there yesterday. I usually go to car shows alone and although I could strike a conversation up with a tree, it was nice spending time there with 'friends'.

Dave, glad you made the first leg of your journey ok, hope the second was uneventful as well. I will see you in SC on my next trip south!

• Like 1

May it home today! All went very well the oil consumption was half what it was going up. I used a half quart per 100 miles. 
Gas mileage was still 15 per gallon and temp never above 165-170. Will have to consider 2023 as the 38 ran so well. It was great meeting all of you and I really appreciate the support and lies about the repair on the beast. The lunch Bill provided was great in both the food and the guys around the cooler. I hope your better half can join the group next year and is healthy going forward. Thanks to all the hard workers that put on a great show. I don’t think are words express the appreciation we have for all of you and what you accomplish for our enjoyment. 
dave s 

• Like 8

The total trip was 1400+ miles. The 38 ran at 55-60 mph for a total of 26 hours. It burned a total of 7 1/2 quarts of oil and just under 100 gallons of gas. I got a lot of thumbs up, waves and horn toots from cars and trucks. I also received a thumbs up from a lady who blew us a kiss and a big smile. I think she liked the car, me probably not so much. When I left Hershey, Bill gave me a short cut to Rt30 that worked out well until I hit York traffic. That was ok as it turned into a fun experience. I was sitting in traffic when a newer beautiful red corvette convertible pulled up next to me. A young boy (5-7 my guess) was in the passenger seat with his mom driving. He looked at the 38 and waved to me. I had the window down and asked them if they wanted to race. Mom laughed and the boy said he liked my white wheels. I told him the car was 84 years old and it was all original. He asked if the wheels were original too! I told him no they were new and I had to do a lot of work to make the car run. He turned to his mom and said they need to get some white wheels as they were cool. I have to agree that was cool but for different reasons than white wheels. They won the race as their lane moved faster. 
dave s 

• Like 8

Did you backtrack your route up?

For future Studebaker Hershey tours: at Lynchburg VA, take US501 south which takes you to South Boston VA and then to Roxboro NC. At Roxboro take NC49 south and follow it thru Burlington, Liberty and Asheboro NC. You can then get back on US220/I73-74 south to US1 and home.

These are mostly two-lane 55 mph roads in good repair and very well-suited to old car travel.

*edit* I'll add that there are AACA groups in Roxboro, Burlington and Asheboro areas who can help if you have old car issues along that route. Even though Lynchburg VA Region has disbanded there are still old car people there.*

And all the Sheetz thru there have 90 octane NE! Good for old cars...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave, curious how many miles on the engine rebuild. Could it be that this long trip at road speeds and fully normalized temperatures got the rings etc seated properly? Let us know how oil consumption works out. 

Though as Bloo says high oil consumption at higher speeds was just part of the deal when these cars were new.