1926 Cadillac 314 RHD Limo

I recently purchased a 1926 RHD Cadillac 314 Limo. I has also got build sheet from GM archives. Previous owner didn't have much history on car other then owning for 7mons an bought from another person. I plan on getting it running an hope to have few period correct fixed (paint, trim, etc). But after viewing build sheet it didn't list any options though there are the upgraded wire wheels, leather wrapped leaf springs, 2 boxes (1btry,1jack), RHD, rare curved partition window. But nothing but RHD is listed. How do I find out possible value now or what might be. Original paint said Duco Kangaro Brown but all the search I found didn't show a Duco KB. Any help is greatly appreciated.

20220818_152324.jpg

20220818_152351.jpg

20220818_152341.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 26 caddy said:

Just hard finding a value bases line for RHD with the partition window. 

You cannot find comparative sales pricing on RHD and in that condition, as none are out there.   Price guides are based on prior recent sales, not guesses.

Like many other "oddity" cars, rare means little in actual dollars. There is not much monetary value in that car with it's very poor condition, and the RHD "oddity" really devalues it further, by a lot.  Nobody wants a RHD American prewar in the USA.  

The market can seem unfair at times; if that was LHD and had been converted to a wrecker back in the 30s, it would be very desirable even in that condition.  

It is a hobbyist car, for a person who can do all of his own work, and still be OK with selling for a loss if he has to sell it someday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like it but it is, as Frank (F&J) has correctly pointed out, it is a "hobbyists' car". A great deal depends on your skills and what you intend to do with it. I've never understood the prejudice against RHD but it is there and we all have to deal with it. It does seem strange though when up to about 1912 most cars were RHD and big, expensive cars like Pierce Arrow, Locomobile and the American Rolls Royce were all RHD into the mid 1920s. Perhaps its a reflection of who is interested in those earlier cars.

As to your car...it is very similar to my first antique car, a Cadillac that I purchased and registered as a '26 (in the summer of 1971, the year after I finished high school) but it turns out was probably a '27.) There is very little difference and my car may have been sold in October or November off '26 and registered as such. Show us a picture of the dash and I can tell. It was a Fisher Custom Body and is only the 2nd one I've seen with the forward slanting windshield. The wire wheels are nice...I had disc wheels which are certainly easier to clean but not as sexy.

You will need to do a lot of woodwork to make that body sound. I have a set of Fisher Body service bulletins for that type of body. I am intending to scan them and make a pdf I can share with interested members of this forum but that may take a few weeks.

There are a lot of threads on this site pertaining to starting a long-out-of-service car. IT IS NOT A MATTER OF PUTTING A BATTERY IN IT AND CRANKING IT OVER. Pay close attention to Frank and Ed...both of whom have extensive experience and Ed knows as much about this period Cadillac as anyone. (If not more).

I'll post a picture of my car so you compare them when I get a chance...right now it won't download. Good luck...

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

I've never understood the prejudice against RHD but it is there and we all have to deal with it. It does seem strange though when up to about 1912 most cars were RHD and big, expensive cars like Pierce Arrow, Locomobile and the American Rolls Royce were all RHD into the mid 1920s. Perhaps its a reflection of who is interested in those earlier cars.

I can only speak for myself, a life long mechanic who had to roadtest 10s of thousands of cars and trucks since late 60s.  I just can't get comfortable with RHD; I hate shifting with the ''wrong hand", it feels really awful to me. Like being forced to sign your name with "your wrong hand". 

I also can't seem to judge where the left side is, even when trying to aim a narrow 1960s RHD VW beetle through a 9 foot wide shop door.  I hate to admit in public that I was so worried about denting this mint original customer car, that I shut it off to go look at how much room I had.

Some stuff feels so wrong, like Fords with the key or a starter button on the left side of a LHD steering wheel. It just feels wrong. 

Brass cars tend to be used in organized tours with protection from the modern cars and distracted drivers.  You are sitting higher and have a better view of your surroundings? These cars are not really used for occasional transportation, but rather "amusement" or better put, reliving what the early days felt like?  IDK

EDIT to add..  When I said "nobody wants a prewar RHD" I was talking only of cars far beyond the earliest prewar era.  

Edited by F&J (see edit history)
  • Like 1

All good points...but I'm left handed. I've no problem shifting with my left hand and I've a lot of experience driving in the UK, which may be easier because you are also on the other side of the road but I never had a problem the the RR's I drove and most of them were RHD. I think it's more a matter of doing it enough to get comfortable with it.

By the way, I've only participated in one "brass car tour"...for the most part I prefer to be by myself and stick to back roads. If I have to use a main road, I try to do it when traffic is light. That said, I drove the length of Long Island once on the last nice weekend of the year. The traffic was heavy but it was moving at a snail's pace so the speed of my car made little difference. And yes, you are up so high on nearly all brass cars that judging the left-hand side isn't a problem.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have a passion for wood working so I plan on repairing the wood. Hobbyist at heart ofcourse. I loved the body style an like to see it back on the road. GM build sheet said Fen 2, 1926 RHD was sent to London, England to a General Morles Export Co. It said it was 6700 custom imperial. Black wire wheels, Duco Kangroo brown paint w/ivory strip. I previously had 1961 Ford Galaxie Sunliner, 1940 Desoto, 1955 Packard. Currently own a 1947 Ford Coupe super deluxe. 

20220728_131935.jpg

20220728_131545.jpg

• Like 3

Glad to hear that you are a hands-on person as well as a hobbyist.  The Prewar hobby needs more of your type. 

I miss the old days at Hershey on show day with all the oldies lined up on the parking lot hill...for a small town young guy 50 years ago; it was so amazing to see so many early cars going all the way up that huge lot.

• Like 1

At the risk of insulting all the metal workers and machinists... if you're good at woodworking you'll probably find metal work easier. You'll need to get some specific tools and learn some techniques but metal work allow much more precision.  If you can put a good finish on wood you know it is all prep... that's the same with metal.   If you've got room you can do a full restoration.

It is a wonderful looking car.  Get it running and fix it piece by piece with the paint absolutely dead last.    Run, stop, turn. 

• Like 5

I'm insulted! No, not really...one of the problems I have with woodwork is that I keep trying to use metal work tolerances.

The dash is certainly different from that on my 314 and your correspondence with GM nails it down as a 26. I suspect the bodies are identical. The Fisher "custom" bodies were not exactly custom built. I think it was more a matter of the purchaser choosing the colors and the interior fabrics...the body itself was semi-finished. That would be in keeping with the American market where people weren't in the habit of ordering a new car and waiting 6 months for the body to be built.

jp

• Like 2

I've offered the PDF's of the Fisher Body Service Bulletins free to forum members. Look under the general subforum. It may be that, as a new member, you can't send a private message. If so, my email is jvp5070@gmail (etc). I'm not too concerned with spam replies since I generally ignore and erase them without opening them and I'm not looking for anything at the moment.

I think these would be very useful in working on your project.

Got it over to a new spot an had some time to do someone pics. Besides ebay for the Lenses cover is there someone or someplace that has replacent replica or factory headlight Lenses. Also on the steering wheel the two shifter as I've seen does anyone know where to locate to purchase or the correct wording of those items. As for the large wheel copper nut. Is that a cover for the lug nuts or a one bolt style to take off. I've looked at Cooper tires to fit, but finding someone to mount after watching a few videos I might need  some special tools to mount tires to rim. Feels like old Army days changing tires on the old duce n half. Thank you for any advice or assistance. 

20220823_114205.jpg

20220823_114203.jpg

20220823_114048.jpg

20220823_113819.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 26 caddy said:

Besides ebay for the Lenses cover is there someone or someplace that has replacent replica or factory headlight Lenses

Donald Axlerod near Boston, business name might be Headlight Headquarters.  He only deals in early lights and their parts, so it may be pricey if rare.

11 hours ago, 26 caddy said:

Also on the steering wheel the two shifter as I've seen does anyone know where to locate to purchase or the correct wording of those items.

Most people call the levers "steering wheel controls".  Many early Cadillac members here have said that certain years had bad diecast metal that crumbles, and that there are companies that have repro parts but said they are pricey. You may need to ask all of these questions on the Technical Forum as I think not many members follow the restoration forum.

12 hours ago, 26 caddy said:

. As for the large wheel copper nut. Is that a cover for the lug nuts or a one bolt style to take off.

I am not up on all of the aftermarket wire wheel types, but that wheel must be one big nut which needs a special tool to take it off.  I had 1920 car with Hayes wheels with the big center nut and Hayes tool.  The tool releases a locking mechanism that prevents the big nut from getting loose.  Ask on the Technical Forum with that pic.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm new to this Forum. I noticed that 26 Caddy had a 1926 Custom Imperial Limo he wants to get running. This is only the second custom limo I have seen. The other one is a 1927 Custom Imperial Limo that I own. Mine was in worst condition than this one, wood rot, no seats or divider window and partition, dash wood needed replacing along with many other things. Power train was complete, motor would turn over by wrench. The body was aluminum from front doors around the back to front door on other. It took 21 months to rebuild this car with 2 guys working everyday on it. 

Your first post you were wondering about the value of your car when it is fixed up, my car is appraised at $195,000.00 Canadian. A right hand drive car may be worth less in the U.S.A. but not in most countries. I also have a 1930 Cadillac Limousine Deluxe that is right hand drive and it is appraised at $350,000.00 Canadian.

I look forward to hear from you and your restoration of the Caddy.

Vanden Plas Caddy

4 hours ago, Vanden Plas Caddy said:

I'm new to this Forum. I noticed that 26 Caddy had a 1926 Custom Imperial Limo he wants to get running. This is only the second custom limo I have seen. The other one is a 1927 Custom Imperial Limo that I own. Mine was in worst condition than this one, wood rot, no seats or divider window and partition, dash wood needed replacing along with many other things. Power train was complete, motor would turn over by wrench. The body was aluminum from front doors around the back to front door on other. It took 21 months to rebuild this car with 2 guys working everyday on it. 

Your first post you were wondering about the value of your car when it is fixed up, my car is appraised at $195,000.00 Canadian. A right hand drive car may be worth less in the U.S.A. but not in most countries. I also have a 1930 Cadillac Limousine Deluxe that is right hand drive and it is appraised at $350,000.00 Canadian.

I look forward to hear from you and your restoration of the Caddy.

Vanden Plas Caddy

Your appraiser has done you a grave disservice. I'd love to see his reasoning and comps.

I'd sell this restored 1926 Cadillac sedan for under $30,000. A divider window wouldn't make it 5x more valuable, I'm afraid.

Cadillac1.jpg.fe9f02f2223e262dd05c4ca2631668e5.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Matt

I would sell that 1926 Cadillac sedan for $30,000.00 also. It's a standard sedan, not a Custom Imperial Limo, body is steel, not aluminum, flip out windshield for ventilation, Limo rolls up into header about 3 inches. Interior is of high quality, woodwork is original oak and walnut around windows and dash. Lots of differences between Standard and Custom cars. Standard Cadillacs more common than the Custom Imperial Limos.

The 1927 Limo was appraised by 3 appraisers and they came up with this price.

Thankyou for your response

Vanden Plas Caddy

• Like 1

On 12/18/2022 at 11:11 AM, Vanden Plas Caddy said:

Hi Matt

I would sell that 1926 Cadillac sedan for $30,000.00 also. It's a standard sedan, not a Custom Imperial Limo, body is steel, not aluminum, flip out windshield for ventilation, Limo rolls up into header about 3 inches. Interior is of high quality, woodwork is original oak and walnut around windows and dash. Lots of differences between Standard and Custom cars. Standard Cadillacs more common than the Custom Imperial Limos.

The 1927 Limo was appraised by 3 appraisers and they came up with this price.

Thankyou for your response

Vanden Plas Caddy

We’re all imperials limos (ie, had the divider window)?

On 8/22/2022 at 3:41 PM, JV Puleo said:

The dash is certainly different from that on my 314 and your correspondence with GM nails it down as a 26.

Probably not unusual for a RHD unit.   There are a number of instances where a carryover dash was used for RHD versions of American cars.  For example, RHD 1951 & 1952 Studebaker Champions used the 1950 dash, and full-size RHD Fords used 1959 Edsel dashes for a few years.

Craig

• 4 months later...

Have fun! Spend what you can afford and realize  you have a good quality car but not sexy for sure. Take lots of kids and old folks for rides. Let some curious teens help you from time to time; it will help them too. It was new once but it was never perfect. Don’t let the desire for perfection stop you from doing what you can the best you can. I hate to see a car survive so long then be tossed aside and broken up for parts or scrapped. It’s lots easier to destroy than to build.
oh; don’t forget to learn while you’re having fun!