Rewiring a 1930 Rolls Royce 20/25.

Dandy Dave

Rear Lights installed. Like the front lights, I had to take everything apart and clean the rust off of the hardware to get a good ground. Working on the leads to the battery later today. This job is comming close to a close. Whew. 😅 We have a new lens comming for the license plate. The lights are Duolite type B's, and similar to the ones used on 33-34 Fords. I do not think they are original to the car as the wires in the conduit were single and for tail lights only. The lights have new wires all the way in them. I drilled the old wire out of the pins that the bulb contacts rest against and soldered them to the new wire all the way around. A slow and tedious job. But so worth doing in the long run. We are keeping the lights as they work as brake lights and signals as well as tails lights. Dandy Dave! 

IMG_4941.JPG

IMG_4942.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Ordered some of these wire ties from a well known supplier. Really dissapointed in not being able to use them as they look really nice on the outside. The problem is that the grade of aluminum they are made of is way to hard. They cannot be pulled up tight like the originals and when I tried to bend them over to lock them in place, they snaped off. Going to let the supplier know that whoever they have producing these needs to make them out of a softer grade of aluminum. At $4.00 buck a pop they should work like the originals. They are being sent back as in my opinion they are defective. New one's on the top photo. Originals on the bottom two photos. I can easily bend and unbend the originals in circles. I cannot do that with the re-pops. Dandy Dave!

IMG_4938.JPG

IMG_4939.JPG

IMG_4940.JPG

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bloo said:

I don't know how that works on aluminum. I was talking about brass and copper in the other thread. I'll bet there's a way to anneal these aluminum parts, but it would take further reading.

Annealing aluminum works similar to brass and copper. It also depends a bit on the specific alloy. If an improper alloy was used, even annealing it may not help much. It takes practice to get it right. Heat with a broad flame torch, oxyacetylene can be too hot, propane may be a bit cool. Heat it to that magic point where the color changes ever so slightly (really takes practice!). Makes all the difference with many aluminum moldings. However, a few minutes after it finishes cooling? It will become hard again. Again, depends upon the alloy. Some alloys working time is a few minutes, some alloys may allow an hour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Annealing aluminum works similar to brass and copper. It also depends a bit on the specific alloy. If an improper alloy was used, even annealing it may not help much. It takes practice to get it right. Heat with a broad flame torch, oxyacetylene can be too hot, propane may be a bit cool. Heat it to that magic point where the color changes ever so slightly (really takes practice!). Makes all the difference with many aluminum moldings. However, a few minutes after it finishes cooling? It will become hard again. Again, depends upon the alloy. Some alloys working time is a few minutes, some alloys may allow an hour.

Basically what I read. I'm not expermenting with them. And I sure cannot use them hot. These would be better if they were stamped out of common Aluminum Flashing grade of material. Plastic crap for now until some that are user friendly comes along. Maybe I'll have to buy an old punch press, Make some dies, and stamp some out myself. Dandy Dave!

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

So what will the Rolls Royce be powering at the Kent, Ct. get together on the weekend of the 23-25?

Not my car Bob. $$ Job. Plan on bringing the old White Truck again to Kent. We gotta move slabs from the saw mill. Say hello when you see me. 🙂 Dandy Dave!

• Like 2

On 9/11/2022 at 1:43 PM, Professor said:

Having gone through this recently with my 1936 Chrysler, I can honestly say that I would MUCH rather do my Chrysler than your Rolls Royce.  🙂

By the way, putting my electrical engineering hat on for a moment, I would recommend that you reroute any wire where the insulation of the wire is touching (under compression) the bare metal from another wire, such as the yellow wire and green wire in the image below.  If the wires are cloth covered teflon, the cloth can abrade and the teflon can cold flow, creating a short.  Yes, it will take a combination of time and/or vibration for this to occur, but if you want this wiring to last without failure, now is the time to correct these issues.

Good Luck and nice job!

Joe

42414F7A-A122-47E3-A526-CB1182659B02.jpeg

Finnaly got it right Professor Joe. Should look better from where you sit also. 🙂 

IMG_4945.JPG

• Like 5

Starter wire installed. Ends also soldered to the battey cable and main feed wire to the Distribution box, The red wire feeds everything except the Starter Switch and Starter which takes the most amps to spin. Photo 2 is looking up at the starter switch cable. By the way. These early Rolls Royce autos are 12 Volt. Dandy Dave!

IMG_4946.JPG

IMG_4947.JPG

IMG_4948.JPG

• Like 2

A few more photos of yesterdays progress. The original battery box. It does run again. It started rather easy. A few things to sort with the signal lights and we should be ready to ride. 😁 Dandy Dave!

IMG_4949.JPG

IMG_4950.JPG

IMG_4951.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dandy Dave said:

Basically what I read. I'm not expermenting with them. And I sure cannot use them hot. These would be better if they were stamped out of common Aluminum Flashing grade of material. Plastic crap for now until some that are user friendly comes along. Maybe I'll have to buy an old punch press, Make some dies, and stamp some out myself. Dandy Dave!

Soot them with fat acetylene flame only. Heat till soot disappears. I would heat with a soft propane as small as they are. 

• Like 1

For some reason only the car gods can explain, I've been following this wonderful thread daily and enjoying it while learning so much. I will never own a period RR nor tackle a job like this. But the knowledge, skill and perseverance demonstrated as necessary, to complete a project like, this while retaining as much as possible of the originality and patina of the car, is a great lesson for preservation enthusiasts. Thanks for taking time out of your obviously busy days to post photos and updates, a big help to anyone contemplating a similar job. I often think AACA forum moderators should occasionally reserve these important technical demonstrations when they are complete, lock them down and post them on a standalone forum where they can be readily found and learned from. So often valuable lessons like these get lost among the idle chatter over time. HD

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Dandy Dave is a dandy guy with a wrench and ability to withstand a job as demanding  as rewiring an antique RR. He deserves all the praise for doing it and having the patience to post the information for we uninformed mortals. Thanks Dandy Dave, your skills are appreciated. 
dave s  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’m curious as to the total time, and number of obscenities spoken. A great example of a very difficult project, on a car who’s valve could be far exceed by repairs if done in a professional shop that charges in the 200-400 dollar per hour range. Yes, that is normal numbers today in large metropolitan areas. Our local Rolls/Bentley dealer is at 385 per hour flat rate five months ago. Dave’s craftsmanship shines through the whole project. Bravo Dave…………a difficult job physically for a teenager……..and you pulled it off in your retirement years fighting with physical issues. We won’t mention the psychological issues! You get the very rarely awarded three thumbs up. Great work. 👍👍👍

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, edinmass said:

I’m curious as to the total time, and number of obscenities spoken. A great example of a very difficult project, on a car who’s valve could be far exceed by repairs if done in a professional shop that charges in the 200-400 dollar per hour range. Yes, that is normal numbers today in large metropolitan areas. Our local Rolls/Bentley dealer is at 385 per hour flat rate five months ago. Dave’s craftsmanship shines through the whole project. Bravo Dave…………a difficult job physically for a teenager……..and you pulled it off in your retirement years fighting with physical issues. We won’t mention the psychological issues! You get the very rarely awarded three thumbs up. Great work. 👍👍👍

Thank You Ed. I will let you know later today what the total hours are. It is over 100 at the moment. And that is conservitive as these are old friends and good custodians of the Rolls. I did not charge travel time either. 1 hour drive each way. I started posting on August, 17th. So September, 16th is just 1 month I've been at this tedious project. The car is nick named Josephine, and live's near the Mills Mansion in the Hudson Valley. The owners partner works at the Mills mansion and takes the car there sometimes on a nice day. In a way I feel that the car has come full circle and home to a proper place for now as the first owner rubbed elbows with the upper crust of society. This car has been in my life for around 25 years. The former owner that had me take it apart did not want to spend the money on it that it needed to rebuild the engine. It sat in my barn for 18 years. He died with 6 Million in the bank and multible properties in the area and no heirs. To cheap to spend money on it. The owner that has it now saw the car when I was working on other stuff and asked about it. I gave him the information of who was handeling the estate and a deal was made and there I was rebuilding the engine. It took several years to get everything together. That was between 7 and 5 years ago. I told the owner then that this auto needed rewiring. And now that is nearly complete as I will be back there today finishing up some minor details. Dandy Dave!

IMG_2984.JPG

• Like 3

"While you are in there"

IMG_4945.JPG

That distribution box cover stud protruding out from the top left as you look at the picture is the ground for the cut-out relay. On a PII I worked on the stud surface was flat against the firewall to complete the ground. Disturbing things and the aging Bakelite can cause a slight gap and at some point in the future it could lose the ground. The cut-out relay mysteriously won't pull in and could be diagnosed as a no charge problem. Lots of fruitless time chasing that one.

Loosen the distribution box mounting bolts a little and slide a piece of brass shim stock between the box and the firewall 90 degrees from the stud and trim it off. You will notice nothing impedes sliding it in.

You will never thank me later. Non-events have little recognition.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The RR's are in town touring, Joining todays jaunt at 8AM. Going to The Old Rhinebeck Aero Drome, and to one of the mansions with this Rolls 20/25 today. And yes. I will be the Chauffeur. Still have a few things to work out. We had the dynamo rewound a while back, but it does not charge and has a dead short comming from the field somewhere as it instanly blows the fuse when I put the switch on Ignition and charge position. When I jump the field and bypass everthing but the dynomo, I do not get a reading for voltage. Something in the Dynomo is clearly not right. It will be fine running on the battery for today. We have done that before. We will get it addressed soon. Photos later. Dandy Dave! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

"While you are in there"

IMG_4945.JPG

That distribution box cover stud protruding out from the top left as you look at the picture is the ground for the cut-out relay. On a PII I worked on the stud surface was flat against the firewall to complete the ground. Disturbing things and the aging Bakelite can cause a slight gap and at some point in the future it could loose the ground. The cut-out relay mysteriously won't pull in and could be diagnosed as a no charge problem. Lots of fruitless time chasing that one.

Loosen the distribution box mounting bolts a little and slide a piece of brass shim stock between the box and the firewall 90 degrees from the stud and trim it off. You will notice nothing impedes sliding it in.

You will never thank me later. Non-events have little recognition.

Thank You for that tip Burnie. I have some brass shim stock around here somewhere. That should do the trick. 🙂 Dandy Dave.

💫🌟🌟🌟💫💫

I sometimes get carried away but this thread has been great. 
dave s 

ps- if you need a butler to ride along with the chauffeur to the areo drone, I’m available. It will take about 10 hours to get there from SC. 

• Haha 2

Famous last words to the owner of the Rolls. I said several times. Be sure this car has enough gas for Saturday. If it runs out I'm going to be pissed. Sure enough, I start it up yesterday morning and it runs for about 30 seconds and stalls in the driveway. I get out, take a piece of mechanics wire and bend it to go down in the tank. Sure enough the wire comes out dry. It is empty. I was ready to leave him standing in the driveway and come home. I have to take the top off of the Autovac to get fuel in it. I end up stinking like gas which is the last thing I wanted on tour because he could not get his head around putting some gas in it beforehand. Anyway he comes out of the garage with several gallons and wants to poor it in the tank. NO, STOP! I have to fill the vacumm tank or we are going nowhere. I think to myself, it is an hour ride home and I would have made the round trip for nothing. So, as usual, I stayed with it and did what I had to do to get fuel in it. I finally got it started after having it flood from the whole proccess. This car does not like to be run out of gas. He knows that. Rant over. The rest of the day went off without a hitch. The Rolls at Wilderstein. Me in the drivers seat.

IMG_4952.JPG

IMG_4953.JPG

IMG_4972.JPG

• Like 3

Lots of beautiful pre war Rolls Royce automobiles were on tour. The Columbia Ambulance at Old Rhinebeck I machined an axle for a number of years ago. It is still turning and doing it's duty every weekend. The Chassis is a 1917 GMC.  

IMG_4977.JPG

IMG_4978.JPG

IMG_4979.JPG

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

Famous last words to the owner of the Rolls. I said several times. Be sure this car has enough gas for Saturday. If it runs out I'm going to be pissed. Sure enough, I start it up yesterday morning and it runs for about 30 seconds and stalls in the driveway. I get out, take a piece of mechanics wire and bend it to go down in the tank. Sure enough the wire comes out dry. It is empty. I was ready to leave him standing in the driveway and come home. I have to take the top off of the Autovac to get fuel in it. I end up stinking like gas which is the last thing I wanted on tour because he could not get his head around putting some gas in it beforehand. Anyway he comes out of the garage with several gallons and wants to poor it in the tank. NO, STOP! I have to fill the vacumm tank or we are going nowhere. I think to myself, it is an hour ride home and I would have made the round trip for nothing. So, as usual, I stayed with it and did what I had to do to get fuel in it. I finally got it started after having it flood from the whole proccess. This car does not like to be run out of gas. He knows that. Rant over. The rest of the day went off without a hitch. The Rolls at Wilderstein. Me in the drivers seat.

IMG_4952.JPG

IMG_4953.JPG

IMG_4972.JPG

Someone said just recently "some people should not be allowed around old cars".

What would the owner have done had you not been there to fix it?!🤣

I forget. Rolls owners do not drive or maintain their silent machines🧐. They hire chauffeurs to do that!👨‍✈️👨‍🔧

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Have they ever flown the Curtis pusher? It was found in Philadelphia by Seth Pancoast Sr. in the Erwin Burgdoll estate if I remember things correctly. 

DSCF0362.JPG

DSCF0364.JPG

They hop it down the runway. I did not take many photos of the planes as for a time I helped out at the Aerodrome almost every weekend with their antique autos so I have seen this many times. They have subtracted some planes from the lineup and added some new ones. Same with the autos.  Look here for the Curtiss. https://oldrhinebeck.org/curtiss-pusher-model-d/

• Thanks 1

How about a short ride in a Rolls. A short film for those that have never ridden in, or driven one, may you get a sliver of the thrill. 🙂 A woman on the street in Rhinebeck asked me what kind of car I was driving while I was stopped at a stop light. I told her it was a Rolls Royce. Bummed my nose in the air and looked back with a big cheaky grin. She replyed, It's looks like a ford to me. We had a big laugh. My nose was so far in the air if it had rained, I would have drowned. 😂🤣 Dandy Dave!

https://youtu.be/bH_IUhICWTY

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

A hundred + hours well spent for that owner’s wallet, not sure about how your hands feel about all that time pulling wire! 
dave s 

I'm taking a break from it to get other things done around the farm here. The splash pans around the oilpan also need to be re- installed but that can wait for a bit. Dandy Dave!