FS Not Mine: 1942 Chrysler New Yorker Highlander Business Coupe - Hemmings

This one is SO COOL! 😎

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/chrysler/new-yorker/2606812.html

• VIN #: 36011055
  • Mileage: 250
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Condition: Mint
  • Exterior: Black
  • Interior: Red Highlander Plaid
  • Seller’s Description:
    This 1942 Chrysler New Yorker Highlander Business Coupe is the only one known in existence.
    A fresh frame-off restoration with Chrysler's bullet-proof straight 8  engine and semi-automatic 4 speed Fluid Drive transmission. Rated at 110 mph it cruises comfortably at 85 mph. This is a concourse restoration and needs absolutely nothing. The red marbled bakelite interior dash, door panels and steering wheel are near flawless. The gloss black hand-rubbed paint job is glass smooth. The undercarriage is just as stunning as the exterior. This car starts the first time, every time without the need for a choke. Every mechanical component on this stunning motorcar has been rebuilt. There are just 250 miles on the car since completion. This is a true 3 window coupe with no back seat and a truck that'll fit 10 sets of golf clubs or 6 people comfortably. Originally a California car with absolutely no Bondo underneath that beautiful black paint job. Everything on this car is completely factory stock.
  • Price: $89,500 Firm

1942 Chrysler New Yorker Highlander Business Coupe

image.png.9476e877834a737d5c3d217cfa2a7bb9.png

image.png.1b0e95c42dabf8b2fa26e34b7c5470a8.png

90955061.jpg

90955064.jpg

90955067.jpg

90955072.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I should add: this is the fourth 41/42 New Yorker business coupe that I’ve seen for sale in the last 20 years.

AJ:

How many of the others you've seen had the Highlander interior?  

The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942, Edited by Kimes and Clark states that 158 1942 Chrysler New Yorker 3-passenger coupe were built.  No breakdown on the number with the Highlander interior option.

Steve

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I see that the seller is trying for $89,500.  He says the

car was recently restored off the frame, so he surely

has a great expense to recoup.  And these coupes are

popular these days.

What is a realistic value for this car?

He is not crazy. The New Yorker just never comes to market.

• Like 1

If that sits in the sun for more than 3 minutes you would be risking ruining al that interior plastic that us impossible to replace

PLUS all the exterior trim is one year only (along with everythng else on the outside)... a nightmare to find at this point.

Having an 8 cylinder is the ultimate business coupe. A tiny cabin buried in an eight mile long trunk and deck lid! 

Risking driving it and having someone plow into you....well...........

Edited by marty14 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, marty14 said:

If that sits in the sun for more than 3 minutes you would be risking ruining al that interior plastic that is impossible to replace.

Are you sure they don't reproduce those interior

plastic pieces?  Undoubtedly the restoration included

replacing them.  It's inconceivable that they all

survived so perfectly for 80 years.

I'm grateful to anyone who serves our hobby by

restoring and recreating original elements.

• Like 2

Nobody is commercially reproducing the plastic for this car. That's not to say a private company or person has not done it just for a one-time order, but there is not enough demand to make it commercially. That is the problem with a lot of things for early Chrysler cars. There are not enough examples in existence to justify the huge startup costs of reproducing things, and that is why it is a real challenge to restore these cars. I am so glad there are people who go the extra mile to do their cars correctly. They truly own works of art. This car is priced high, and it should be. Although not a qualifier for the CCCA, it is every much a classic in my eyes. 

• Like 1

Replicating the plastic interior in the correct color would cost and arm and a leg. 1942-48 Chryslers used numerous colors so trying to do all or some/all of the colors would be insane. OK anything done before can be done again but the cost is the killer.

All those exterior fender moldings...........what were they thinking? More is better? Try finding those if you needed any of them.

Everything that you guys are saying is true. But since this car is restored, how does any of that apply?

As someone who pays attention to these New Yorker business coupes, They just don’t exist, you don’t see them at shows, you don’t see themfor sale, you just don’t see them.

• Like 3

You'll see this in the club coupe model (5 window) and think "that's a great looking car".........and then you see this.  Nothing else quite like it.  at 127.5 WB and 323.5 inch straight 8, you'd think that it might have been considered for CCCA classic designation.  it was only a 1,450 dollar car when new.  The same year Chrysler Crown Imperial with the same engine but much longer WB and different interior finish level is CCCA CLASSIC.  

I have never seen one in person, just pictures.  

I think it will find a buyer.  It is gorgeous, and rarely seen.  Someone with a great collection will jump on the chance to include it in their stable and the price won't make them blink.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

Someone with a great collection will jump on the chance to include it in their stable and the price won't make them blink.  

If it's priced realistically, someone will buy it;  but don't

think that the wealthiest collectors will pay more.

No one ever became wealthy by spending extravagantly.

For example, one car fan I know had a $30,000,000

annual salary, not counting other income;  I told him of

a car for sale in which he might be interested.

His FIRST question was, "What's he asking for it?"

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I agree that wealthy people don't stay wealthy acting like idiots.   An example would be paying 50k for a Model A.

But this car is different,  the restoration alone would be 200-300k in a professional shop.   Lets assume it looks as good in person as it does in the photos.    If you wanted one,  this would be it.   The price is 1/3 the restoration and the car is free.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of someone who has a stable of full classics, interesting open cool stuff, hangs out with other guys who also have a stable of great cars and yet there is quite a bit of overlap (they all have a couple open Packards, a 12 cyl Packard, a Pierce, a Cord, A couple Lincolns and Cadillacs, etc.....) and those guys know about this model.  It is rarely seen but I've had conversations about this model with some of them.  They appreciate it and love its looks.  That type of guy will pull the trigger.  It's under 100 and none of his buddies have one....for that reason alone one of those guys will grab it.  

• Like 1

I love the bakelite dash pieces and steering wheel!  Are the wheels, hubcaps, tires, close to correct?  What about the "package" shelf under the rear window?  Would it have been covered in carpeting?

16 minutes ago, 63RedBrier said:

I love the bakelite dash pieces and steering wheel!  Are the wheels, hubcaps, tires, close to correct?  What about the "package" shelf under the rear window?  Would it have been covered in carpeting?

The tires would be my one complaint. But easy to solve.

Are these 16 inch wheels or fifteens? Anybody know?

Coker makes a bias ply looking 16 inch radial that is awesome.

• Like 1

Spectacular car!   I have seen three '46-'48 New Yorker business coupes in my life, but never a '42.  The interior looks very nice, and the dash plastic is wonderful as others have noted.   I think he will get something close to his asking price.

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)

14 hours ago, John Bloom said:

I'm thinking of someone who has a stable of full classics, interesting open cool stuff, hangs out with other guys who also have a stable of great cars and yet there is quite a bit of overlap (they all have a couple open Packards, a 12 cyl Packard, a Pierce, a Cord, A couple Lincolns and Cadillacs, etc.....) and those guys know about this model.  It is rarely seen but I've had conversations about this model with some of them.  They appreciate it and love its looks.  That type of guy will pull the trigger.  It's under 100 and none of his buddies have one....for that reason alone one of those guys will grab it.  

John you are spot on.  I can’t afford this car but there are thousands of guys who can. My concern is the hot rodders. There are some of them that won’t think twice about buying this car and dropping $750,000 on it.