'31 Plymouth Coupe-- Reduced--- $19,900 still around 18 months later, will take offers

I'd be interested to hear the groups opinion on a fair price for this car. I'm pretty sure the $34,800 they are asking isn't one. An equivalent '31 Model A would be $15-$18 (if it ran!) This car has some advantages: Hydraulic brakes, 56 Horsepower (the A was 40), full pressure lubrication and "floating power", but rarity does not equal desirability. 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/santa-rosa-1931-plymouth-pa-thrift/7516169156.html

Extremely rare restored 1931 Plymouth PA Thrift Rumble Seat Coupe. Features include: Floating Power engine mounts, Free Wheeling Transmission, “Flying Lady” Radiator Cap, and Spark Advance automatically controlled by manifold vacuum. Specifications: 3-speed manual transmission, 4-cylinder engine, free-wheeling option, floating power engine mounts, manual roll down rear window, 4 seat belts, hydraulic brakes, custom paint with hand pinstriping, window garnishes, 6 wire wheels, wide whitewall tires, dual side mount spares, etc. Total production for 1931 Plymouth Coupes was only 12,079.
Vehicle was previously owned by same family for over 4 generations. Our father restored the entire vehicle in 1999 and added seat belts. It ran up until 3 years ago when we decided to garage it. Serious offers only, willing to take best offer. email: e61a93d4434037f2acaea25eadd984a9@sale.craigslist.org

00J0J_fZJ30QILMhJz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00h0h_9WL9xPwQCkNz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00909_1XYlEerQUvgz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg00S0S_gexnskp7racz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00C0C_clRDtnNz41Tz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00e0e_lljvoBpqHcCz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00q0q_7v9sPnc9kUAz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00505_iibKLMdJvx1z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00k0k_j4NxPn2X5Aiz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Edited by Leif in Calif
price change (see edit history)

Incorrect interior handles, I think Bumpers are Incorrect also not sure of that Red being a 31 color and finally the shell is suppose to be chrome, nothing rare about 31 PA’s

I put it at 12-14K and that’s because of all the Incorrect Items all can be fixed but takes from current opine. Solid Car has a 58 hp motor 

• Like 1

No idea on value of this car, but for $30k+ it looks tired, and dirty and .......  well just not a $30k car. For the asking price I would expect a class winner. I may be wrong, and I apologize if I offend anyone but I think of the Model A as starting point for this era of collectible car. I think to myself what would a Model A cost, and then go from there. All others seem to be priced higher, I suppose because they made so many Fords. I would think a compatible A could be had in the $15k range or less.

The 4 cylinder Plymouth, especially the 1931 and 1932 cars are great drivers, ride well, have much more power then a  Model A ( that is not a put down just fact) and stop and steer well. I had a 1931 Pa sedan for years but sold it because I out grew it physically. My legs got to long and I couldn't move the front seat back any further to be comfortable. ALL STEEL body makes you not have to think about structural wood replacement/alignment etc. "Peppy" car performance wise.

This car needs a lot of time and effort plus $ spent to get it to "clean up" - replate the radiator shell is $1,000 . The rubber engine mounts if they haven't been replaced will need to be. Price listed is more then very optimistic - is unrealistic. Yes I like the 4 cylinder Plymouths and if I fit in one would still own one.

• Like 4

• Leif in Calif changed the title to '31 Plymouth Coupe-- Reduced---Now $24,900 (and still very high)
On 8/2/2022 at 5:18 AM, TAKerry said:

No idea on value of this car, but for $30k+ it looks tired, and dirty and .......  well just not a $30k car. For the asking price I would expect a class winner. I may be wrong, and I apologize if I offend anyone but I think of the Model A as starting point for this era of collectible car. I think to myself what would a Model A cost, and then go from there. All others seem to be priced higher, I suppose because they made so many Fords. I would think a compatible A could be had in the $15k range or less.

I love Mopar products of this era. They have features Fords don't (like hydraulic brakes) but they also don't have Ford's wonderful support. This car, being a 4 cylinder, is going to sell for a little less than the equivalent Model A. How much is a non-running '31 A  coupe worth?  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Leif in Calif said:

I love Mopar products of this era. They have features Fords don't (like hydraulic brakes) but they also don't have Ford's wonderful support. This car, being a 4 cylinder, is going to sell for a little less than the equivalent Model A. How much is a non-running '31 A  coupe worth?  

There's a nice, RUNNING, '31 Model A coupe being advertised here for $11.5K.

If the Model A didn't run, I'm guessing it'd be worth more like $8K. I always assume the worst about a non-runner.

If there's a premium for Plymouths over Model A's, maybe the Plymouth's worth $10K as is?

• 6 months later...
  • Leif in Calif changed the title to '31 Plymouth Coupe-- Reduced---Now $24,900 (and still very high) NOW $19,900

Here's a link to the current ad. I feel a bit sorry for the sellers...I'm sure a lot of their late father is tied up in the car. 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/santa-rosa-1931-plymouth-pa-thrift/7649711562.html

email: 3573b1dda275342ab39b5519ede592cb@sale.craigslist.org

As previously noted, not running and a incorrect features, beginning with the painted radiator surround, which would be expensive to put right. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Back on CL at $19,900 but now they say they will take best offer. 

I'm sure they will feel they have given their dad's wonderful car away when it finally sells. 

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/santa-rosa-1931-plymouth-pa-thrift/7681310357.html

email: 5e699a433097334198c3e32bd20ffac7@sale.craigslist.org

• Leif in Calif changed the title to '31 Plymouth Coupe-- Reduced--- $19,900 still around 18 months later, will take offers