My 1965 Skylark 2dr Hardtop

Edwin The Kid

Finally got the title for the car from the previous owner. Car is now in my name and insured, as well as tagged with a vintage Kansas plate! I need to fix the lights on the car so I can take it out on the highway and see how it does. However, all my project car money is going to the Corvair at the moment.

PXL_20230213_223050615.jpg.a33000af71c935a96ae1e18e9d23dbe1.jpg

PXL_20230220_185339421.jpg.ecdbc2880769b4f3882765535a1e3733.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

The Buick is still running good! Haven't done much work to it as all of my limited spare cash is going to finishing my Corvair. But I put the car to work helping in my Corvair endeavor. Having no passenger seat makes it basically a truck! Or maybe an opera coupe?

Anyways I used it haul my transaxle that I rebuilt out of the school shop. Engine tins are all powdercoated and hopefully the powerpack will go back in the car this weekend! I've also been learning the basics of trimming in my trim class, so later on I'll redo the interior on the Skylark(it needs it!)

PXL_20230309_151407868.jpg.cc1248969aca39d5456a5033b3d8cfb1.jpg

PXL_20230309_212506966.jpg.47857e0deffc112d0b733e08d3b88371.jpg

PXL_20230307_151651964.jpg.c18d1a883da208b4011bebadff88fc27.jpg

• Like 9

I like reading your progress, it really motivated me to work on my Buicks. 

How hard is it to do the stitching as you show above? I bought a professional auto trim sewing machine, but haven't used it yet. I just wonder if I should even try. Your work  above looks great.

Steve

• Like 2

23 hours ago, FireballV8 said:

I like reading your progress, it really motivated me to work on my Buicks. 

How hard is it to do the stitching as you show above? I bought a professional auto trim sewing machine, but haven't used it yet. I just wonder if I should even try. Your work  above looks great.

Steve

It's not too hard, I got the hang of it pretty quick after some practice. I find it pretty enjoyable, as I can take my time and be very meticulous in measuring, cutting, marking, and stitching. It's not for everyone but definitely worth trying! Having an excellent instructor helps as well, especially with setting up the machine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2023 at 6:01 PM, JohnD1956 said:

Thats the part that scares me. It looks really complicated 

If something goes wrong mechanically with the machine I'd be totally lost, but threading the machine and setting the stitch tension and length isn't too complicated.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2023 at 5:01 PM, JohnD1956 said:

Thats the part that scares me. It looks really complicated 

Honestly, its not complicated, since doing the interior of Beaut, I have learned so much about sewing and not only do I find it not complicated, it is actually very enjoyable.  If anyone has any questions on sewing machine setup or problems/trouble shooting, give me a holler.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

The car show was incredible. 475 cars on the field, and I got to push the GM Astro III. I'll post some photos in the meets forum area.

With the show over, I'm thinking I want to sell the Skylark. I want to get into a prewar car, either a Buick or Franklin, and if I sell the skylark and save over the summer I think I can make it happen. I'm not sure what I should ask for the car, any thoughts?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Edwin The Kid said:

The car show was incredible. 475 cars on the field, and I got to push the GM Astro III. I'll post some photos in the meets forum area.

With the show over, I'm thinking I want to sell the Skylark. I want to get into a prewar car, either a Buick or Franklin, and if I sell the skylark and save over the summer I think I can make it happen. I'm not sure what I should ask for the car, any thoughts?

LOL  you're almost as bad as I am.  Think long and hard on your decision.  I've had seller's regret more than I ever had buyer's remorse.  🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, drhach said:

Sell the Corvair instead :) 

Never! The Corvair is one of my forever cars.

Let me explain my thoughts a little more. I'm not done with the Buick just yet. There are a few things that need to happen before I'm ready to sell, and some others I'd like to do but I'm not sure yet. Mechanically: driveshaft, transmission seals, front ball joints, switch pitch, choke. Electrically I want all of the lights and the horn to work. All of this will happen before I sell the car. I'm thinking about putting front floors in and doing the interior to get a higher sale price from the car, but I'm not sure if that is something that will actually make me money. That's as far as I'll go with the car, even if I keep it. I have no desire to do body and paint to this car, as I quite like how the exterior looks as is. Plus, I would definitely lose money on it then.

Here's why I want to sell: I really want to get a pre-war car. I like the Skylark but it was never something I was going to keep forever. I'd really like to get experience in older cars, and driving them is so much fun. I've got eyes on a 41 business coupe, but it is probably out of my price range. I'm also looking around for something older, I'd love to get a 30's or older Buick.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Every car I've ever owned has been my "forever car" :) . No worries, you should do whatever you want. It's just stuff. I recently bought a 42 and I'm having a ton of fun with it. I totally get the draw. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Late summer Buick update: nothing has changed except my used battery no longer holds a charge. Drove it around a bit in early July when I visited McPherson to see my girlfriend and drive my Corvair to St. Louis, where I've been working with Adam Martin all summer. 

PXL_20230618_013120143.jpg.172b03c371c35cb16809e5066f51f273.jpg

However, the Skylark story will be coming to an end soon. In Jerome Idaho I bought a truck in what became a 760 mile Spokane after-adventure. Long story short the truck ended up in northeastern Colorado running on 7 cylinders. I will be back next week to fix it and get to McPherson 

PXL_20230721_190326471.jpg.159742dec31862f3cb45f18f8e97c115.jpg

Last week I was at the Franklin Trek for my 2nd time, and am in the process of purchasing a 1929 Franklin! More pics to come :)

PXL_20230805_215653893.jpg.f52f5de3f06a78aea6b4799f360ebcc5.jpg

All that being said, I can't afford to keep the Buick. When I get back to McPherson I'll be finishing up a couple things on the car and listing it for sale. I'd appreciate thoughts on a fair price to start at, I was thinking starting a little high , maybe around $5,000?

It'll be sad to see the Buick go, but I'm ready. 

Edited by Edwin The Kid (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2023 at 1:09 AM, Edwin The Kid said:

maybe around $5,000?

$5000? it's cheap ! , here in France it will cost double!
At this request ( with a low price like this) you are not afraid that people do not take care of it ? :( 
She will be in France I will have bought it without hesitation at this price ! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Kansas for a couple days before I go fix my truck and drive it back. Turns out the Skylark battery is fine, the terminals just needed cleaned. There's an incoming freshman here with a 65 Skylark! It's got a 4spd swap and the stock 300, but he wants to put a 454 Chevy in it. 

PXL_20230810_163032025.jpg.b422fc04ff72aeb8880e6847ce2a281c.jpgPXL_20230810_163048804.jpg.e10c6e130140f81d706350a8920c5377.jpg

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Took the steering wheel off and cleaned the turn signal switch, and confirmed it's function. Need to wire the rear lights and ground the fronts and hopefully I'll have signals and brake lights! However during this process I left the key on overnight, which lead to a 3 day wild goose chase to get my car to run again. Long story short, the coil was bad, but not bad enough to stop sparking. Anyways, I discovered and fixed burnt points and a failed vacuum advance as well. With the new coil and good distributor the car runs fantastic! This weekend I will finish prepping the car for sale. I will be getting the Franklin in October

the truck is fixed too! Had to replace the wiped camshaft at a friends house and now it runs great. PXL_20230901_232018544.jpg.4bb351b1d49e410e43b98bfbb9d7708a.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Edwin The Kid said:

Long story short, the coil was bad, but not bad enough to stop sparking.

I love (NOT) that type of failure.  :angry:

Anyway, glad you have it resolved.  The vacuum advance should help both performance and gas mileage.  Good to hear the truck is running again.  Your description of the problem made me think it might be a bad cam...

Can't wait to see your Franklin!  ;)