loose wheel seal solution ??

timecapsule

I recently pulled the leaking wheel seal from my 1930 Hudson Super 8.  It was a Timken so I'm replacing it with the same one.  It took a fair bit to get the old one out using a hook and a slide hammer, destroying it but I could still read the # on it.  The new one pushes in with my thumb fairly easily and comes back out fairly easily as well.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and what they used to secure the seal in place.  I'm sure JB Weld would do the trick.  But then when it came to replacing it again it would be a nightmare to get it out and clean the surface area that the seal sits in perfectly clean and smooth for the next seal.  I thought about using a marine adhesive/sealant like 3M4200. But there might not be enough room between the seal and the seat that it sits in to allow enough of that stuff to create a bond.

21 minutes ago, Swear57 said:

No try a different brand of seal. If the outside is loose what about inside.

I never very comfortable with cross referencing. It usually gets worse as opposed to better.   It is the same p/n as the one I took out, and I got 4 of them. That's all there was available in Canada.  The inside diameter is fine.  I'm thinking the previous owner took measurements and this seal is the best they could come up with.  Perhaps it was secured in place with something, but there wasn't any traces of anything on the seal.

6 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Could you wrap teflon tape around it?

I doubt that there would be enough room.  I mean it's tight going in, but once it's in I can reach in behind it with my fingers and pull it out fairly easily. I tried Permatex aviation form a gasket sealant liquid.  I left it over night but it still pulled out with my fingers the next day.  Perhaps I didn't give it enough time.  

While I have not had any experience with this particular application, I have previously installed similar seals with red Loctite. Obviously you need to be sure the mating surfaces are completely clean of any grease or oil, and yes, once dried it does require more effort to remove the seal. Heat is usually the recommended way to loosen red Loctite. I'd be more concerned that the seal is only finger tight. I don't know that Loctite will be strong enough for that loose a fit.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

While I have not had any experience with this particular application, I have previously installed similar seals with red Loctite. Obviously you need to be sure the mating surfaces are completely clean of any grease or oil, and yes, once dried it does require more effort to remove the seal. Heat is usually the recommended way to loosen red Loctite. I'd be more concerned that the seal is only finger tight. I don't know that Loctite will be strong enough for that loose a fit.

Red Loctite is a good thought.  I might try it and see if I can pull the seal out after a day or so with my fingers

31 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Is there room for the seal to "come out" after all installation is completed?

Ben

Yes, on this car the seal is way in about 7 inches or so, past the backing plate.  There is a huge cavity between the seal and the bearing that is seated at the backing plate.  This area is filled with wheel bearing grease. ( 9 oz.)

If it did work itself out, the grease would keep it away from the bearing.  But in all likelihood I don't see that happening.  I think the worse that would happen is that the rear end gear oil would seep past it and mix with the wheel bearing grease.  The only thing keeping the grease from getting out and onto the brakes, is a felt washer in the bearing end cap, functioning similar to a seal.  Which I have replaced because the one in there was not doing it's job anymore. 

2 hours ago, bobcanuck said:

Is there not another Lactate product made specifically for such a situation i.e. "loose fit" ?

Good point.  Loctite does have the 609 retaining compound designed for loose bearing fit.  I actually think I have some of that stuff.  Hopefully it doesn't have a shelf life because I can't remember how many decades I've had it. More than one for sure.

Indian head is hard setting, but will need overnight to fully harden. I saw some for sale recently, no longer called indian head, but still the same stuff in a brown plastic bottle. It was labeled Permatex gasket shellac. The important thing to note is that the maker is PERMATEX.

Beware similar looking brown bottles from other makers. They are usually not hard setting.

Still Indian Head around here, but is owned by Permatex.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-20539-Indian-Shellac-Compound/dp/B0008KLOG6?th=1

• Like 2

You can also stipple the hub side wall with a sharp pin punch if the friction fit now is fairly good then put 6, evenly spaced stipples around the hub face that the seal edge seats against. Put a thin layer of black permatex on the outside of the seal and seat it in place. Used this technique for both seals and spun outer bearing races with excellent results. Saved many worn hubs this way. 

11 hours ago, chistech said:

You can also stipple the hub side wall with a sharp pin punch if the friction fit now is fairly good then put 6, evenly spaced stipples around the hub face that the seal edge seats against. Put a thin layer of black permatex on the outside of the seal and seat it in place. Used this technique for both seals and spun outer bearing races with excellent results. Saved many worn hubs this way. 

Thanks, I used the 609 and by tomorrow morning it will be 48 hours since I applied it,  so I may get brave and give the seal a little tug with my finger to see if it stays in place.  The issue I have with stippling is that on my 30 Hudson the seal is in quite a distance from the backing place.  Around 7 inches, so it's difficult to get in there.  I would need a super long punch and them I can't really strike it at much of an angle.

I had intended on sealing around the outer edge with something.  When you mention black permatex, what product are you referring to?

I think I have some Permatex Ultra Black.  Is that basically the stuff you mean?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EmTee said:

Probably Permatex #1.

When you say #1 do you mean their form a gasket p/n 58912? Because I have some of that and it looks like it would be suitable. "Fast drying, hard setting". It also says it's designed for sealing rigid materials. However it  also say designed for permanent assembly.

Yes, the 'hard setting' black tar-like stuff.  I usually have the #2 (stays soft) around for valve cover or water pump gaskets.  The #1 doesn't have as long a shelf life and there are fewer occasions where I would use it, but holding that seal in place would seem like a situation to use it.

• Thanks 1

As far as I know, Permatex #1 will say Permatex #1 on the squeeze tube. It is a hardening shellac-based sealer similar to Indian Head, but it has a thicker paste-like consistency more like Permatex #2 instead of being a brush-on liquid.

4 minutes ago, Bloo said:

As far as I know, Permatex #1 will say Permatex #1 on the squeeze tube. It is a hardening shellac-based sealer similar to Indian Head, but it has a thicker paste-like consistency more like Permatex #2 instead of being a brush-on liquid.

20220711_150020.jpg