Ebay Bidding War Over Old "Antique Automobile" Magazines

cudaman

I have been trying to complete my collection of "Antique Automobile" magazines.  The really early ones are the hardest to find, as you might expect.  Earlier this week I got into a bidding war on Ebay with one other person over a large lot of early issues.  If you are the other bidder, please contact me, it is likely that there will be many issues left over after I have picked out the issues I need to fill the gaps in my collection.

I will be happy to offer you the remaining issues of the lot for only the price of USPS Priority flat rate shipping.  :)

• Like 1

I agree that sometimes holding a paper book or magazine is so much better than electronic.  

I tried to read books on Kindle and gave up, I want a book in my hand.

The great thing about the AACA thumb drive is that one can somewhat search it, or if there's a comment about "my car was featured in such and such year/number" it's easy to get there.

Now, I have a thumb drive a couple years old, does the AACA offer free upgrades to make it recent!?!?

• Like 3

Rather than sending them to the dump, offer them in the classifieds for the cost of postage plus a trifle to cover your efforts.  You can fit a lot of magazines into a single USPS medium flat rate box and the shipping is (currently) $16.10.  :)

41 minutes ago, trimacar said:

OK thanks, I'll contact them...I too have decades of the magazine but need to get them moved on to someone else or the dump, and the latter is a shame to me...

Give them to a young person that is excited and learning the hobby. An older friend gave me a large stack of old issues and after I had gone thru them I looked for an opportunity to pass them on. A man and his 15 year old son came to buy some model A parts from me. The boy was super excited about old cars and I knew I found the right recipient for them. He was thrilled to get them.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bloo said:

What is it like using the thumbdrive? Are these PDF so you can zoom, scroll, etc. or are you stuck in some page flipping application?

These are in pdf format.  The issues are listed, you can click on a particular issue and scroll through the pages.  I've not done it, but there is a feature to search all issues, and to search within an issue.  

• Like 1

I had a collection of Fine Woodworking going back to the beginning. My shelves were full and I would reference them when working on projects. Got to the point that I was looking at the same few a lot of times. Then I photocopied articles and put them in a folder in the shop. When my wife found out the entire library was digitized she put them all in the dump. I was kinda upset (to put it lightly) at first but it freed up shelf space, and one less thing to dust around. I dont miss any of them at this point. My car magazines, I would save the ones that had an interesting article, then about once a year they ended up getting tossed.  I now toss when Im done reading them. Some stuff I give to my brother when I see him.

On 5/25/2022 at 11:41 AM, cudaman said:

I will be happy to offer you the remaining issues of the lot for only the price of USPS Priority flat rate shipping.  :)

That's very generous of you. I hope the other bidder can connect with you, and you both can add what you need to your collections.

20 hours ago, cudaman said:

Rather than sending them to the dump, offer them in the classifieds for the cost of postage plus a trifle to cover your efforts.  You can fit a lot of magazines into a single USPS medium flat rate box and the shipping is (currently) $16.10.  :)

You can send 20 pounds of magazines for slightly less using the Media Mail rate.

Well, the person that bid against me on Ebay hasn't contacted me, so I'll open up my offer to everyone that sees this thread.  Here are the extra issues I have available after I picked out the ones I was missing:

Volume 8, Number 1, April 1944

Volume 9, Number 1, April 1945

Volume 9, Number 2, July 1945

Volume 9, Number 4, November 1945

Volume 10, Numbers 3 and 4 (combined issue), last half 1946

Volume 11, Number 1, 1st quarter 1947

Volume 11, Number 2, 2nd quarter 1947

Volume 12, Number 1, 1st quarter 1948

Volume 13, Number 2, June 1949 (two copies available)

Volume 13, Number 3, September 1949

Volume 14, Number 2, June 1950

Volume 14, Number 3, September 1950

Volume 14, Number 4, December 1950

Volume 19, Number 2, Summer 1955 (two copies available)

Volume 19, Number 3, June 1949 (three copies available)

Volume 22, Number 3, August 1958 (two copies available)

Volume 32, Number 3, May-June 1968

PM me with what issues you want and your name and shipping address.  I will reply with shipping payment instructions (the mags themselves are free, I'll only charge enough to cover my shipping costs).

Edited by cudaman (see edit history)

All of the magazines are sold for just the shipping cost to Wayne Sheldon.  Wayne, I sent you a reply to your messages, please check them, thanks!  :)

Just in case anyone has them and is willing to part with them, here is a list of the original print back issues of "Antique Automobile" that I am still missing:

1937  V1:  1, 2, 3

1938  V2:  1, 2, 3

1939  V3:  1, 2, 3, 4

1940  V4:  1, 2, 3, 4

1941  V5:  2, 3, 4, 5          

1942  V6:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

1943  V7:  1, 2, 4
1949  V13:  4

Looking at the thumb drive, there is only one issue (#1) on the drive for 1942 (even though the title page says "published bimonthly".  Was the publication suspended in 1942 because of the war, or does the club just not have copies of the other 1942 issues?

The AACA Library thumb drive files are full-text searchable - a tremendous help in research.  I use them constantly.  But paper ones are much nice for reading.  I'll throw in my list of needs, for after people supply cudaman.  :-)

1937-1943, volume 1-7 - all

1944  8-  3,4

1945  9-1

1947  11- 2,3,4

1948  12-1,2

1949  13-1,2

I have a few from the 40s and 50s that I could trade.

Also need to fill in gaps in the HCC Gazette and the Bulb Horn...  About 35 years of Gazette are online and searchable, but no such luck for the Bulb Horn.

By the way, much to my annoyance, old magazines do not meet the USPS criteria for Media Mail, because they contain advertising.