Oil Filter Question 72 Oldsmobile Cutlass "S"

cutlasguy

I had been using an AC Delco PF24 oil filter in my 72 Oldsmobile Cutlass "S" for the last 28 years, until I found out just this year that it had been discontinued seven years ago. My local Pep Boys had them in stock until they closed last year. A&A Auto contacted a Delco Dealer for me, who told them that a direct replacement for the PF24 was a PF61E and I ordered four! When they came in, they were about a third of the size of the PF24 and looked like a lawn tractor filter. I refused them, Has anyone tried out the PF61E?. I have four of the PF24's left but they look like they're 20 years old and the rubber gaskets are hard as a rock. I'm afraid to use them. I guess my only alternative is to switch to a Fram or Purolator and paint the damn things which I hate to do! Even if I stuck on the AC decal, they would still not be the same. Can the PF61 actually be trusted?

You lose more than a pint of oil capacity using the smaller filter. That or you show overfull on the dipstick, which brings its own issues.

I used to subscribe to keep my GM car all GM but, in the case of oil filters, no more. I don't think current ACD oil filters are any good. Use a WIX, NAPA Gold, Purolator, Baldwin or the like and appearance be damned. 

FRAM at your own risk. I would personally never use a FRAM oil filter on an Oldsmobile engine. Sad too because FRAM practically invented the concept of oil filtration, but all their absorptions and mergers diluted their quality severely.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

FRAM at your own risk. I would personally never use a FRAM oil filter on an Oldsmobile engine. Sad too because FRAM practically invented the concept of oil filtration, but all their absorptions and mergers diluted their quality severely.

Ben Sweetland reportedly invented the automotive oil filter in the mid-1920s and used the name Pur-o-lator (Pure Oil Later).  I've been through his 45-room mansion in Piedmont CA that came from his invention.  I don't care much for Purolator these days.  In the early 1980s Fram was Consumer Reports' best-rated oil filter but I agree that today (and for at least the last ten years) they have been shoddy or worse.  I use Wix and NAPA Gold (made by Wix, NAPA adds one digit before the Wix part number).  I understand that Baldwin filters are very good but they have little if any market penetration on the west coast.

Edited by Grimy
changed name of magazine as memory improved :-) (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I have to laugh every time that an oil filter company states "removes particles from the oil as small as .001 microns"

The real question is how large of particles actually pass thru the filter and go back into the engine! 😮

• Like 1

AC had numerous issues with their oil filters when I was still messing with GM 60s muscle.   Milt Schornack built a 406 roller stroker motor for my 68 GTO and he told me to stay away from them.  His son Jim worked at the Warren tech center and they had a big screw up with the vendor that made the check valve components for the filters and after they ruined a couple of expensive experimental engines on the dyno there was a recall.   Wix  and Purolator had good reputation and I used them on the Pontiac and my 63 max wedge Dodge 330.

Edited by Str8-8-Dave
Correct name (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Uncle_Buck said:

Well made filters.  Cost a little more, but Dr. Olds whole heartedly approves …

6DFDD9FB-D338-4609-A730-CFD6B9CFDF8F.jpeg

I've seen many, many reports of those K&N filters cracking where the bolt lug is attached to the filter.

I have not used one for this reason.

I prefer WinXP filters these days and would never use a Fram because of major quality issues.

I'm sure quite a few of you guys already know about this site but just in case a few of you don't.

Happy reading.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/

Edited by zepher (see edit history)

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Oil Filter Question 72 Oldsmobile Cutlass "S"
10 hours ago, Uncle_Buck said:

Well made filters.  Cost a little more, but Dr. Olds whole heartedly approves …

6DFDD9FB-D338-4609-A730-CFD6B9CFDF8F.jpeg

I remember Hastings/Casite had those hex heads too. Think theirs was actually a nut welded on. Good filters too, made with cotton thread waste same as original WIX were. Very efficient filtration.

Champion Labs makes a good quality filter too. Most of theirs are sold under custom private labels.

But I don't think you'll go wrong using a WIX or NAPA Gold. Baldwins are great but here we usually have to get those thru a Diesel shop.

Daily driver or just to and from shows with a few thousand miles a year touring? If just a few thousand miles a year, what's a few ounces less in the oil system?

I'm still an AC filter user for all my GM cars, even the daily drivers. No issues. Well, not that I am aware of, maybe if I used Baldwin filters I would be over a million miles on one car....🤣  Baldwin highly rated on commercial equipment.

Unless you are showing your car, and like high points, use whatever filter you like.👍

24 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

using a WIX or NAPA Gold.

Same filter....  Just different printing.

But, now WIX has been sold.