Quirky And Unusual Custom Bodied Cars

On 4/8/2022 at 7:44 AM, Walt G said:

But hey guys - "It's Divine"  and from the picture I am guessing that it is at PB , you know where Fred Flintstone's daughter "Pebble" was born, the most worshipful car event on the face of the planet according to the elite.

Has there ever been a nice, bright cloudless sunny day for the Concours at Pebble Beach?    Every magazine coverage of the event ever shows cloudy and misty skies for the event.

Craig

12 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Has there ever been a nice, bright cloudless sunny day for the Concours at Pebble Beach?    Every magazine coverage of the event ever shows cloudy and misty skies for the event.

Craig

There has been some days that started out pretty cold and cloudy at 6 AM, and then you’re frying at noon.in fact,  I think of it’s mostly that way every year.

A few years ago Amelia had to move the show from Sunday to Saturday because of rain. Not sure if Pebble has been postponed or moved to Saturday.

A friend is restoring a Bub (not Bud, "Bub" I understand is correct) bodied Model T.  

A lot of folks have heard of Mercury bodied T speedsters but I understand a small cottage industry was creating bodies for the T as an economical way to update, personalize and maybe make a T chassis better suited for weather.  I will see what I can get for pics.  Wonder how many T body variants survived...

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

47 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

A friend is restoring a Bub (not Bud, "Bub" I understand is correct) bodied Model T.  

A lot of folks have heard of Mercury bodied T speedsters but I understand a small cottage industry was creating bodies for the T as an economical way to update, personalize and maybe make a T chassis better suited for weather.  I will see what I can get for pics.  Wonder how many T body variants survived...

Is that the Coupe that Dragone's sold about 10 years ago? Fantastic car, I'd give it a Pebble Beach quality restoration. Bob 

Look in the Period Images thread ( can not give you a page) I posted some photos of NY City based coach builders for  Ford model T bodies some time ago. The supplies would issue single or double page folders to advertise their product , they did not have the $ to issue large deluxe multi page catalogs , and seldom were mentioned in the trade publications of the day devoted to the body building industry. Here is the Mercury bodied Ford mentioned but not as a race car more of a utility roadster and another body supplier with a taxi body for the Ford of the same era.

FORDttaxi1920.jpg

FORDmercuryBODY001.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2022 at 8:38 PM, bryankazmer said:

I've seen it in two of its restorations, gold and black

Last time I saw the round-door Rolls Royce it was in all black in the Vault of the Peterson in LA; a little over 2 years ago just at the start of the Pandemic.  If I remember the story correctly, and I may have read it in another post here, it was found in a New Jersey junkyard.

Graham man - both cars you posted photos of are indeed French, the light colored one is at the annual Paris Salon ( auto show) . I most likely have more photos and information on both cars. I have all ( 1920 to 1939) the original souvenir salon programs that give very detailed information/listing of the cars that were on display , they are like small dictionaries about 1 1/2 inches thick! I just need to find the time to look all of this up as well as other things I have seen and noted I will do . Currently I have to get in progress research/writing etc finished first . This is what my retirement is  , huh ?!?

• Thanks 1

Aberdonia 16/20 HP Park Royal Town Landau, 1911

The Aberdonia was an English car manufactured in Park Royal, London from 1911 to 1915 by the coachbuilders Brown, Hughes and Strachan. The engine was a 3160 cc, 4 cylinder, side valve unit rated at 20 hp for taxation purposes. It cost £500 with seven-seated touring coachwork, or £700 with "special landau body".

At the 1911 London Motor Show a one-off design, mid-engined and forward-control with the driver ahead of the engine was displayed.

aberdonia_1620_01.jpg.2d3242736155a28e87c7ba5455e82018.jpg

aberdonia.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2022 at 1:00 PM, ejboyd5 said:

There must be a story here. Security personnel or crime scene investigators?

The back of the photo has the address which I forget. It is a house in NY that Father Devine bought for his church. I think this was an open house event although it looks as if everyone is "locked out". I believe that is him with the hat looking left in front of the side porch.

Andrew, thank you for all the wonderful additional information. Most appreciated. Great stuff to read about a very very talented designer. The photos of the cars on display were taken at the annual Paris Salon.

WG

• Like 1

I see here mostly commercial custom "Quirky"body jobs that are not that quirky for the time,era and conditions, in my opinion.

But somestime you see these wild extremely over the top weird custom jobs by private people or concerns..and wonder, what are/were they thinking?

The time invested and money and only they have the appreciation for the eyesore and boast."look at me and my marvel". And everyone else is ready to puke at the ugly mess.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder,even if they are tastless and blind.

1 hour ago, Flivverking said:

I see here mostly commercial custom "Quirky"body jobs that are not that quirky for the time,era and conditions, in my opinion.

But somestime you see these wild extremely over the top weird custom jobs by private people or concerns..and wonder, what are/were they thinking?

The time invested and money and only they have the appreciation for the eyesore and boast."look at me and my marvel". And everyone else is ready to puke at the ugly mess.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder,even if they are tastless and blind.

You don’t have to to look. Obviously past your grasp.

• Like 1