'65 elec. question

RIVNIK

Greetings! When I turn my '65 headlights on, are the amber parking lights supposed to stay on? Mine go out. Also, should my brake lights be operable when the key is in the off position. My '73 Riv brake lamps worked without the key.   Just askin'        Thanks. Drew

I believe it was much later (late '90's) when the parking lights stayed on with the headlights,  and it was not a universal change by all makes and models. 

I recently became aware of inexpensive wiring kits that take the load off the headlight switch.    They are available for both 2 and 4 headlight cars. 

They add a relay for the high and low beam.  the headlight switch just triggers the relay.   You must run a hot wire to the relay and there is a ground lug to attach, 

the new harness plugs into the headlights and the OEM headlight plug connects to a connector on the new harness,  no cutting of the original wiring. 

1 hour ago, Barney Eaton said:

I believe it was much later (late '90's) when the parking lights stayed on with the headlights,  and it was not a universal change by all makes and models. 

I recently became aware of inexpensive wiring kits that take the load off the headlight switch.    They are available for both 2 and 4 headlight cars. 

They add a relay for the high and low beam.  the headlight switch just triggers the relay.   You must run a hot wire to the relay and there is a ground lug to attach, 

the new harness plugs into the headlights and the OEM headlight plug connects to a connector on the new harness,  no cutting of the original wiring. 

Parking lights remained on with the headlights beginning with the 1968 model year.  The feds had this feature added along with side marker lights the same year.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2022 at 8:16 AM, Pat Curran said:

Parking lights remained on with the headlights beginning with the 1968 model year.  The feds had this feature added along with side marker lights the same year.

My understanding as well.

2 hours ago, RIVNIK said:

Any info on the brake light situation?

Brake lights are switched on my '63 and probably were up to 1966 when 4-ways arrived on 1967 production.

I've always wondered if there's a way to modify the headlight switch on pre-1968 cars so that the parking lights stay ON when the headlights are turned on?

My dark green '65 is almost invisible at night when viewed from the sides.  If the front marker lights would come on with the headlamps,  this would help improve the visibility of the car when it is dark outside in low light situations.

Any ideas?

7 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

I've always wondered if there's a way to modify the headlight switch on pre-1968 cars so that the parking lights stay ON when the headlights are turned on?

My dark green '65 is almost invisible at night when viewed from the sides.  If the front marker lights would come on with the headlamps,  this would help improve the visibility of the car when it is dark outside in low light situations.

Any ideas?

Follow this thread. It gets to the answer to your question eventually. I and others have done this. 

Bill

Edited by Riviera63 (see edit history)

FWIIW I was able to convert my nacelle lights in my ‘63 to daytime running lights that stay illuminated at night. With long life LEDs installed they work well.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

45818E37-BFBE-4126-A1FD-770AF4539EB3.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

FWIIW I was able to convert my nacelle lights in my ‘63 to daytime running lights that stay illuminated at night. With long life LEDs installed they work well.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

45818E37-BFBE-4126-A1FD-770AF4539EB3.png

Do the turn signals work off the same bulbs.

Hi Ed, 

turn signals are seperate. First photo is park lamp, second turn signal, third is daytime running lights. The park and turn are orange ( I think from the same globe ) daytime runners are white.

Rodney 😊😊😊😊😊

901EF68A-DAAE-4BED-BBA1-E4015CF92F08.jpeg

D6C79E5C-E1A5-4A98-995A-79C005CFFEBB.jpeg

C134441A-1670-49F4-8522-1E1D3A8BDE2B.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Did you do this with just the two bulbs?  Park lamp and turn signal using a two filament bulb, and the DRL using a single filament bulb in the second socket?  Do the park lamps stay on with the headlights?  On the 63&64 the headlamps, when viewed by an approaching driver, do not give the impression that the Riviera is as wide as is it really is.  It’s nice to have that width indicator on at all times at night.  

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Did you do this with just the two bulbs?  Park lamp and turn signal using a two filament bulb, and the DRL using a single filament bulb in the second socket?  Do the park lamps stay on with the headlights?  On the 63&64 the headlamps, when viewed by an approaching driver, do not give the impression that the Riviera is as wide as is it really is.  It’s nice to have that width indicator on at all times at night.  

Ed, 

No changes necessary in the bulb configuration. I don't remember exactly what I did with the headlight switch. I would have to reread the thread I posted above earlier but, if I remember correctly it was just a matter of swapping a wire to different terminal on the headlight switch. 

Bill

IMG_3070.JPG

IMG_3072.JPG

IMG_3067.JPG

Just for you Ed. Taken this morning on our way to the All American Day car show (see Hands Up if you drove an old Buick today) Daytime running lights and headlamps. Thinking I might have wired them directly to the voltage regulator. All I know is they work a treat. Photos tell it all!

Rodney 😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊

A131B4E8-FE60-4FCA-A3CD-48D4D96DA827.jpeg

Edited by rodneybeauchamp
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, EmTee said:

Rodney, so do the nacelle lights stay on all the time as your DRL?

Yes they do. Turn on ignition, as soon as it starts they turn on and stay on as long as the engine is running.  Great safety factor, especially early mornings and late evenings. I live in a seaside country town, so most of my journeys are country running. As to the safety factor an article I read about a test in Sweden many years ago with 100 identical Volvos, 50 wired with headlights to turn on with ignition, the crash rate was minimal (1 or 2%) compared to the other 50 whose crash rate was average. Since reading that article (now lost) I have driven with lights on and fitted DRLs to most things I drive. 
Rodney 😊😊😊😊😊😊😊

• Thanks 1