Stripped Thread Repair

AHa

I need to repair some stripped threads in a bolt hole. The hole is in the water pump housing and is not in a good location. Rather than tear the motor down, I was looking for an easier fix. It looks like Loctite Form a thread is a good solution. Does anybody have any thots or alternatives?

Heli-Coil will probably work fine.  GM has as their essential tool the TimeSert repair kit.  It is different than a HeliCoil as the Helicoil is a special would wire and the Timesert is an actual piece set of threads that is inserted into a redrilled hole where the other threads stripped out.  It is inserted and then swedged into place so it will not move.

Your biggest issue is how much room do you have to do the repair.  Both will require drilling and tapping the stripped out hole.

Look here for more information on both repairs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=time+sert+vs+helicoil&sxsrf=AOaemvI1UX1f6_OxFEuK43ANDi-v7wunEA%3A1643306022108&source=hp&ei=JtzyYYTgAvymptQPjaa24A0&iflsig=ALs-wAMAAAAAYfLqNm-EyX0XzHyKa9eAqh5QHtmc_dSX&oq=timecert&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYAjIHCAAQgAQQCjIECAAQCjIECAAQCjIECAAQCjIECAAQCjIECAAQCjIECAAQCjIECAAQCjIECAAQCjIECAAQCjoECCMQJzoECAAQQzoOCC4QgAQQsQMQxwEQowI6CwgAEIAEELEDEIMBOgQILhBDOgcIABDJAxBDOgUIABCSAzoICAAQgAQQsQM6BwgAELEDEEM6BQgAEIAEOgsIABCABBCxAxDJAzoOCC4QgAQQsQMQxwEQ0QM6CAguEIAEELEDOgcILhCxAxBDOgsILhCABBDHARDRAzoKCAAQsQMQgwEQCjoHCAAQsQMQClAAWNcOYJsraABwAHgAgAGHAYgBnAaSAQM2LjKYAQCgAQE&sclient=gws-wiz

That is the problem. I'd have to tear the motor back down to get the part where I could install a helicoil or similar repair, hence I wanted to know it anyone had tried Loctite form a thread, or similar repair. The Loctite product has good reviews on the web.

Edited by AHa (see edit history)

I did some googling on the Loctite product and the only people I can see talking positivity about it are sponsored posts most people seem to say it doesn’t set

I used a timesert on a manifold and had worked perfectly 

• Like 1

You know in your heart the right way to do it, you just don't want to. I understand that all too well. But doing it right means you'll never think twice about it later when it starts to make a strange sound on the road.

There is a right way to do it and you know what it is. You just have to gather your resources and do it. It sucks, but it will be a relief later, I promise.

il_fullxfull.2764238534_9yqf.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

I have used both and I like heli-coil because it takes a smaller hole, and will work in some places time-sert wont. If there was ever enough metal around the hole to hold a time-sert, it could still be done after the fact if the heli-coil does not work out.

I wouldn't use form-a-thread or any glue based solution.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 1/28/2022 at 9:28 AM, Bloo said:

I have used both and I like heli-coil because it takes a smaller hole, and will work in some places time-sert wont. If there was ever enough metal around the hole to hold a time-sert, it could still be done after the fact if the heli-coil does not work out.

I wouldn't use form-a-thread or any glue based solution.

As I remember both Heli-coil and Time-serts use an STI tap, same size. Difference is Time-sert requires you to counterbore for the flange. 

• Like 2

Helicoil is a wire wound spring as the insert, but a time-cert is a solid thread insert.  I vote for a time-cert if you can get one.  If not, then a helicoil.  I have used both with good luck, but prefer a time-cert especially when going into an aluminum base like an aluminum block or an aluminum oil pan with a stripped out oil drain hole.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2