1916 Simplex Crane Model 5 #2246

PartsAncient

130908774_1916Simplex2246.jpg.4b5c58b6f86697d23b08e80fce5f98e3.jpg

I recently purchased 1916 Simplex, Crane Model 5 #2246.  I am working on a detailed, comprehensive history.  

It was sold by:

Bishop, Marion S

2033 NE 32 Ave

Ft Lauderdale FL 33305

To:

Ralph De Angelis

1321 Hope st.

Stamford CT, 06907

On 03/09/1977 or sometime later. 

Ralph De Angelis is well known in the antique restoration hobby.  I am hopeful that some of you can provide details of Ralph's collection and his ownership of this automobile specifically.  I am interested in any additional pictures of this Simplex.  I am interested in any stories or information about Ralph, especially any related to my Simplex.  I understand he had an extensive collection.  I want to know if he toured or exhibited this car. 

I am assuming that Ralph has passed.  If so, I would like to contact his surviving family. 

At this time I am still collecting information. I am nearly ready to present the history of the Simplex and details of my restoration.

• Like 3

I did some work on a 1916 Simplex Crane a while back. Yours looks like a different car. It is a lot of Automobile. The one I worked on was sold at Bonham's 4 or 5 Years ago. Fantastic find.  

This vehicle is a preservation car.  As such it appears nearly the same as the picture.  The picture is  from The Upper Hudson Valley Automobilist Number 150 January 1984.  I have recently completed a total mechanical restoration.  The body paint and upholstery are original including the original owners monogram.  Current pictures will be posted later. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

Dave, I looked at this link this morning, then while looking for something else found this 1950's catalog of cars from the Powers Automobile Museum in Southington, Ct. Is this the same car? 

1916-Simplex-Crane-Model-5-Berline.jpg

DSCF0449.JPG

DSCF0448.JPG

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I bought a 1920s Franklin touring  from Ralph  when I was in my 30s. (30 years ago) I remember after telling Ralph how much I admired the Crane .\, He said jump in!  He took me  for a 20 minute ride. Another interesting car  he had was a Babcock touring all original. In the basement of his house was a huge touring he was restoring. Ill have to think  about it for a few days to remember the make. The Crane was a great driving car. 

• Like 1

When I moved to Connecticut, Ralph and Tiny were amongst the first people I met. When I needed help with storage, they graciously allowed me to store the Model T that you see in my avatar. From memory, there were at least two "car barns" on the property and my Model T was stored in the same building as the Crane Simplex and the Babcock. I remember both cars very well but do not have any information on them, other that that the Crane Simplex was a great, well preserved, original car. Ralph really enjoyed touring with his cars and he did not hesitate to drive them hard and fast. I was fortunate to be a passenger of theirs many times on tours. Tiny was always telling him to "slow down". They were really wonderful people and certainly pillars of the north eastern collector car community. One of their sons is still active with early cars.

Congratulations on owning the Crane Simplex. That is a fabulous automobile. 

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Glenwood.....I would expect that you may find some information or photos on you car in the very early VMCCA magazines. Crane Simplex cars have always been special and held in high regard from the first days of collecting. It would have been on many peoples must have list early in the hobby and was likely still running and driving from the condition of the car.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mikewest said:

Sunbeam keeps coming to mind for the car in the basement   , but I need to  think on it some more..

Always wanted a mid 20’s Sunbeam Twin Cam Six............more interesting than a WO Bentley.......and fifty times more rare.......

63885042-39CB-4E2F-8A17-EED5BE50279D.png

C9A02129-90AF-406E-93F5-9F8B4F000E14.png

B871FF9A-2E8C-43E8-A100-D843A2A16760.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Of coarse the Big Franklin he had was a 1910 Model H touring. The car  was bought by Ralph from Art Kenniff on the Long Island NY. Ralph was a good mechanic  but that Franklin was one he never could make run reliably . Nether could Art Kenniff.... The car  was a not high end restoration from a rusty car. The body was all new construction.  I remember looking at the rims and rings on the wheels and seeing the heavy pitting, was curious how long they were in the  dirt and where. When Ralph bought the Franklin he swapped in a sharp 1936 Ford  phaeton to Kenniff. Amazing what you remember  when  you try.

23 minutes ago, mikewest said:

Sunbeam keeps coming to mind for the car in the basement   , but I need to  think on it some more..

Ralph almost didn't go look at the Sunbeam, he thought it was a 1950's sports car, not the V'd radiatore'd early V8 powered monster. There was a 1919 Cunningham in the barn at the same time. The Babcock was a sole survivor, that lived here in Ridgefield when Dr. Minot moved from the Boston area to a big house on Main Street. There was a 1915 era carriage house out back, that housed an early Silver Ghost Rolls Royce that I should have paid more attention to that he parted with soon after the move. His wife Molly had Admiral Byrd's 1926 Cadillac Touring car, they would show up on Summer evenings with all their kids in the back seat touring around on a warm evening. Some time after 1967 I had a drivers license and was out for the evening, and missed the tour in the Cadillac. Dr. Minot went to Harvard, was friends with Henry Austin Clark, don't know if they were classmates on not, but Fred Gwinn was, I missed a ride in the Cadillac with Herman Munster.

Here is his Cunningham. Yes, another fabulous car from Ralph and Tiny's collection. The other car I remember was the 1913 National four passenger touring. That was a beast and really showed the way to other cars on some on a few of the New England Gas and Brass Tours.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/18418/lot/310/

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

For years I was lusting to own a Cunningham mid 20’s touring car. Finally got my hands on one. I was instantly cured of the desire to own one. Same thing happened with a McFarlin. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Singer that Ralph had was made by Palmer - Singer after they lost the Palmers. Big six or a V8,it was sold through a dealership in Orange Ct. I think it is in a Pennsylvania collection now. Gray with a V radiator with wire wheels is was a good looking stable mate with the Cunningham. Wish I could find a photo of it. Bob 

d2dbdd7a8d60016df757719c4c462f94--palmer-singer.jpg

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Always wanted a mid 20’s Sunbeam Twin Cam Six............more interesting than a WO Bentley.......and fifty times more rare.......

63885042-39CB-4E2F-8A17-EED5BE50279D.png

C9A02129-90AF-406E-93F5-9F8B4F000E14.png

B871FF9A-2E8C-43E8-A100-D843A2A16760.png

The lower photo here is, I think, the 1922 TT Sunbeam which had a long history in New Zealand. I recall seeing it being worked on in a workshop in Fairlie about 1979 when an earlier owner had it. It is a much earlier, and completely different engine to the later twin cam. The earlier engine is an in line eight, the later one a six.  Sunbeam TT Pair | Auto Restorations Ltd

Austin Clark owned the Simplex Automobile Co. and the right to build Simplex cars, he bought the legal paperwork etc in the mid to late 1950s. He referred to the cars as a Simplex Crane model 5 all the time .  Was always annoyed at people who just called them a Simplex Crane.

I believe Ralph had a Locomobile touring car as well, perhaps mid to late teens and was stored in the basement garage of someone house , I used to visit him on occasion and we always went to see that Locomobile as well because he knew I liked that make of car.  I remember seeing the other cars mentioned here as well. Many unique "orphan" automobiles. As Bob mentioned there was always at least one or perhaps more at the great great annual car show in Ridgefield , Ct. the first weekend or so in Sept.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Somewhere between Ralph's house and Ridgefield he lost one of the knock off wire wheel centers, is it still missing? 

1937hd45

Yes, the missing wire wheel center has been replaced.  The recent picture posted by twin6 shows that the left rear was still missing it's center.  Currently the forum will not let me directly message you but if you can message me I would appreciate an opportunity to correspond with you directly. Thank you for your comment.

Edited by glennwood34@yahoo.com
mistake (see edit history)
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, motoringicons said:

When I moved to Connecticut, Ralph and Tiny were amongst the first people I met. When I needed help with storage, they graciously allowed me to store the Model T that you see in my avatar. From memory, there were at least two "car barns" on the property and my Model T was stored in the same building as the Crane Simplex and the Babcock. I remember both cars very well but do not have any information on them, other that that the Crane Simplex was a great, well preserved, original car. Ralph really enjoyed touring with his cars and he did not hesitate to drive them hard and fast. I was fortunate to be a passenger of theirs many times on tours. Tiny was always telling him to "slow down". They were really wonderful people and certainly pillars of the north eastern collector car community. One of their sons is still active with early cars.

Congratulations on owning the Crane Simplex. That is a fabulous automobile. 

Thank you so much for your post. You mentioned that one of Ralph's sons is still active in early cars, if any of you can help me contact him, I would be grateful.

17 hours ago, edinmass said:

Glenwood.....I would expect that you may find some information or photos on you car in the very early VMCCA magazines. Crane Simplex cars have always been special and held in high regard from the first days of collecting. It would have been on many peoples must have Lise early in the hobby and was likely still running and driving from the condition of the car.

Thank you very much for your reply.  I have issues of VMCCA dating back to 1946.  One early issue mentions an event with five Simplex Crane Model 5's in attendance!  By the way, I am interested in acquiring additional early issues.

17 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Ralph almost didn't go look at the Sunbeam, he thought it was a 1950's sports car, not the V'd radiatore'd early V8 powered monster. There was a 1919 Cunningham in the barn at the same time. The Babcock was a sole survivor, that lived here in Ridgefield when Dr. Minot moved from the Boston area to a big house on Main Street. There was a 1915 era carriage house out back, that housed an early Silver Ghost Rolls Royce that I should have paid more attention to that he parted with soon after the move. His wife Molly had Admiral Byrd's 1926 Cadillac Touring car, they would show up on Summer evenings with all their kids in the back seat touring around on a warm evening. Some time after 1967 I had a drivers license and was out for the evening, and missed the tour in the Cadillac. Dr. Minot went to Harvard, was friends with Henry Austin Clark, don't know if they were classmates on not, but Fred Gwinn was, I missed a ride in the Cadillac with Herman Munster.

Thank you very much for your reply.  I thought that you would enjoy this picture of Ralph and his Cunningham.  I am very interested in Cunningham automobiles, I have extensive literature including original owner's manuals and parts books.  I also own a 1919 Cunningham open car chassis with 25" 120mm Rudge Whitworth wire wheels.RalphCunningham.jpg.6f3d0aa47c029310dbebb49b40a6165a.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glennwood34@yahoo.com said:

Thank you so much for your post. You mentioned that one of Ralph's sons is still active in early cars, if any of you can help me contact him, I would be grateful.

Mike, Ralph's Son, is a friend of ours.  I will contact him and see if he is interested in providing any info he may have.  

Here is a photograph of a 1917 Simplex Crane Model 5 limousine.  Please note that this car has a non typical radiator, designed to resemble a Rolls-Royce.

1917SimplexRollsRadiator.jpg.ba25ff925b7b06c966e7c8b4f99feaa4.jpg

According to an article by Keith Marvin, in the Upper Hudson Valley Automobilist #150 Jan. 1984:

"Most of the Crane-Simplex cars were equipped with a high, rounded radiator similar to the Fiat, Kissel and ReVere,  There were options, however and some owners ordered their cars with cooling systems, the shells of which resembled other contemporary cars.  Rolls-Royce was a favorite although rare.  Another look-alike radiator shell was designed after the Napier car and this one is an excellent example of the difference."

My Simplex was pictured in the same article as an excellent example of a custom Napier styled radiator. As far as I know, it is the only Simplex Crane Model 5 in existence with the Napier Styled radiator.  The picture from this article is the one that I included in my initial post. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 6:21 PM, 1937hd45 said:

Dave, I looked at this link this morning, then while looking for something else found this 1950's catalog of cars from the Powers Automobile Museum in Southington, Ct. Is this the same car? 

1916-Simplex-Crane-Model-5-Berline.jpg

DSCF0449.JPG

DSCF0448.JPG

Sure looks like it. Dandy Dave!

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 8:57 PM, edinmass said:

For years I was lusting to own a Cunningham mid 20’s touring car. Finally got my hands on one. I was instantly cured of the desire to own one. Same thing happened with a McFarlin. 

That early hydraulic brake system never really worked all that well on the one Mike had Ed. It was the beginning of such new fangled things. 🙂 🙃 😉 Worked on that one also and was cured for that reason. I think that is part of the reason he sold it at Bonham's also. He still has another Cunningham that has been a long drawn out project. That however has mechanical brakes. Dandy Dave.  

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As high as the quality and great the prestige reputation the Simplex Crame Model 5 had at the time, it still strikes me as peculiar the original buyers would want to have the radiator shell made to imitate another prestige make such as Rolls-Royce or Napier.  Were they afraid someone wouldn't recognize their motorcar as among the finest, most costly if it didn't?   

• Like 1