1949 Dodge Cornet coupe - Easter Model - $10,500 Portland OR - Not Mine

1949 Dodge Cornet. Original and rust free. Born and raised in Boise, Idaho. Always garaged and well maintained. One repaint to original color years ago. Still looks and drives good. Will consider interesting trades. Asking $10,500.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/portland-1949-dodge-cornet/7413740335.html

Not mine. I have no interest in the sale of this 1949 Dodge. 

Mopar experts, Any idea what constitutes an "Easter special"? 

Was it the color? or this "Highlander" type interior? 

00r0r_bDYrjw02PCdz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00V0V_6TWl5ec2jYSz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00202_hlubbbW5oV7z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00h0h_2p9eiXy0uUrz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00m0m_45hs84VRnSMz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

00b0b_jFWZcbDGcZzz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• m-mman changed the title to 1949 Dodge Cornet coupe - Easter Model - $10,500 Portland OR - Not Mine
6 hours ago, neil morse said:

Not a Highlander interior.  The Highlander was a trim option for Chrysler only.  This car has aftermarket seat covers that happen to be plaid.  But this car looks very nice.

The door panels look the same as the seats, are they aftermarket as well?

4 hours ago, lhend50 said:

The door panels look the same as the seats, are they aftermarket as well?

You raise a good point.  I didn't notice the door panels until after I made my post about the seat covers.  The seat covers look like period aftermarket accessories.  But the door panels (in the same plaid) look more like a reupholstery job.  Either way, neither the seat covers nor the door panels look like something from the factory, but I could be wrong of course.

9 hours ago, neil morse said:

You raise a good point.  I didn't notice the door panels until after I made my post about the seat covers.  The seat covers look like period aftermarket accessories.  But the door panels (in the same plaid) look more like a reupholstery job.  Either way, neither the seat covers nor the door panels look like something from the factory, but I could be wrong of course.

The seats and door panels are definitely NOT original from the factory. They have been redone in the plaid material which looks like vinyl/fake leather. The original seats/door panels would've been mohair.

I do not think Dodge/Plymouth/DeSoto offered the Highlander option - only Chrysler. I have never seen an original Dodge/Plymouth/DeSoto with the Highlander option. Also, that option would've been noted on the factory invoice and there would've been emblems denoting "Highlander" on the car

Attached is a Highlander interior in a Chrysler, which also came in Green.

windsor.jpg

a very clean, honest car.  You can pick its originality but for just over 10 grand you can own it, drive it and love it.  I personally like plaid interior!  GLWTS

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 6:10 PM, Joe Cocuzza said:

I do not think Dodge/Plymouth/DeSoto offered the Highlander option - only Chrysler. I have never seen an original Dodge/Plymouth/DeSoto with the Highlander option. Also, that option would've been noted on the factory invoice and there would've been emblems denoting "Highlander" on the car

You are right, Joe.  The Chrysler plant was in Highland Park, MI, so some genius in the marketing department came up with the idea of the "Highlander" plaid interior option.  It was an exclusively Chrysler thing.

Also, I can say that the color of the underside of the trunk lid was something that MoPar did with all of their cars.  They all had that almost olive drab color, regardless of the exterior color.  My "St. Clair Blue" '48 Chrysler had the same color on the interior of the trunk, the lid as well as the trunk floor.

I took a look at "Auto Color Library" just to see if they show a color anywhere near this one. I don't know if the site is always totally accurate, but they don't indicate a color close to this one. Maybe it was "Spring" issued color, but it doesn't say. I'm going to guess that it isn't a Chrysler color at all, but I could be wrong.

1949 Dodge (autocolorlibrary.com)

1949-Dodge-pg01.jpg?5221

10 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I took a look at "Auto Color Library" just to see if they show a color anywhere near this one. I don't know if the site is always totally accurate, but they don't indicate a color close to this one. Maybe it was "Spring" issued color, but it doesn't say. I'm going to guess that it isn't a Chrysler color at all, but I could be wrong.

1949 Dodge (autocolorlibrary.com)

1949-Dodge-pg01.jpg?5221

If you look close enough you can see traces of overspray in certain areas so the car has been repainted. I, too , looked at colors for 49 Dodge and this one doesn't match up. 

If there was a picture of the data plate and a picture under the hood, particularly of the firewall, then we'd be able to tell what the color actually was from the factory.

Edited by Joe Cocuzza
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Whether it's original or not I like the car and you can park it in my driveway anytime.  There's a lot of enjoyment for the money setting there and the interior reminds me of better times long gone but not forgotten. I would love to own it especially if it's fluid drive. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Peter S said:

does anybody repro those plaid seat covers? I think they are a great look.

I don't think they are seat covers. 

It seems that it was plaid material that was bought and used to redo the seats and the door panels.

And yes, I agree, it's a nice car.

• Like 1