1929 Duesenberg Model J Convertible Coupe by Durham.

George Smolinski

Fifty years ago, Jack Passey had a Duesenberg similar style, I don't recall who the body builder was.  Every time I see a Duesenberg like this, I wonder how it relates to Jacks old one. I spent almost an hour simply admiring the car one day when he had it sitting outside his shop!

I am probably in the minority on this (again?)? I like the 'art crystal' radiator ornament. I wouldn't even try to guess who may have produced it originally. Such pieces were produced in small numbers, and I think expensive when new. While the piece on its own is beautiful !  Somehow, I don't think it adds anything to the car.

I prefer the understated elegance of the standard Duesenberg caps. Fire up the flame throwers!

• Like 2

I know that many people today feel that 

accessory lights and white-wall tires are

sometimes too much for a car.  I often agree.

On a car like this, let me state further:

I think it has too much brightwork.  Let it

demonstrate its grace and power with some

subtlety.  That may be heretical to some Classic

fans, but after all, the opinions of tires and

accessory doo-dads is changing a bit too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This car exhibts every instance of doo dad bad taste that there is.    It has it all.   Stone guard, pilot rays, spot lights, spare tire mirrors, white walls, etc. etc.

The Derham Conv Coupe body is probably their most famous offering and very attractive.  They were built for Packard, Lincoln and Stutz.  I have a rendering of one on a Stearns Knight Eight chassis.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I am probably in the minority on this (again?)? I like the 'art crystal' radiator ornament. I wouldn't even try to guess who may have produced it originally.

They can get very pricey if it is inscribed R Lalique rather than just Lalique on the base. The R was for Rena who was the founder and then the R was removed after his passing. Lalique also makes glass pieces from vases to perfume bottles with original  pieces that can sell for over 100,000 $. Yes there are reproductions out there and the French  Lalique company is now Swedish.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

I do like it when you see one without all the Kmart accessories....

Just like the designer intended... 

The same motive which actuates the creation of any 

masterpiece prompts the building of this, the

world's finest motor car; unswerving devotion to

one ideal... to produce the best, forgetful of cost,

or expediency or any other consideration.

A Duesenberg definitely excels every other

automobile in the world, in every way.

1932a.jpg.8daca4b26aa753fc8c33e4fc9e3db19e.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

This car exhibits every instance of doo dad bad taste that there is.    It has it all.   Stone guard, pilot rays, spot lights, spare tire mirrors, white walls, etc. etc.

I could do without the 6 chromed wheels,

the wide chromed band around the spare wheels,

and the wide chromed side-window sill trim.

If the wheels and sill trim were painted in tasteful

and clever contrasting shades, they might beautify

this green car.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

Lalique vase sold at auction to an American collector in 2012 for 280,000 pounds which is $387,647.00. There is big money in every form of collectible.

But there is, thankfully, small money possible

in almost every form of collectible too.  News 

stories may distort perceptions by printing only

the extremes.  Smaller and realistic prices on

so many things make collecting possible for a lifetime.

Derham built this style convertible coupe derived from their four door convertible phaeton which is identified by the broad top material B-pillar under license from Hibbard & Darrin.  The low deck and lack of continued molding were their contribution.  As A.J. mentioned, this Derham convertible coupe was supplied to Packard, Lincoln and Stutz.  Pierce-Arrows not only received this body but it was also the design inspiration for their own convertible coupe production bodies.   This design just plain looks wonderful on whatever Classic chassis received it.

The Derham convertible phaeton appeared on Lincoln, Stutz and even Cadillac, rendered proposals for other luxury carmakers as well.  

"Less is More" when it comes to accessorizing Classics, should become the new mantra.

12 minutes ago, Walt G said:

I shudder when I see those windshield posts/A pillar drilled to accept the spot lights -  .

The worst bling there is because it is a fortune to reverse it.

And,  they get in the way on many cars when you open the hoods or try to open the door.

• Like 4

I have a 1940 Buick series 71 Roadmaster conv. sedan ( same body as Cadillac, Olds 90 series) and at some point it had both wind shield post drilled for spot lamps. When I bought the car they had been long welded shut but you can see where on the interior plated window trim (a stamped steel thin molding) someone put in chrome pipe caps to close them up. Sometimes ( only sometimes - rarely)I can understand a spotlight, but to add a pair of them reminds me of a police car or a search light truck for the fire department.

15 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

But there is, thankfully, small money possible

in almost every form of collectible too.

You are correct John.  We have examples of Lalique in our glass collection that in my opinion are more attractive and cost a few hundred dollars (in the 70's and 80's) at most.  

• Like 1