My car got damaged in my driveway

junkyardjeff

Pick up some paint and choose a few basic body tools. Just fix it. I have done worse than that to my own cars from not paying attention or knocking something over in the garage.

As you age the more often you will accidentally damage you stuff. Learn to hide the damage early in life.

I have found that there are lots of times when one can stand up for their rights, but there are many influences that can make you wish you hadn't.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

It also happened to me. Three years ago I was detailing my '46 Ford Station Wagon in my driveway. I was washing the drivers side wide whitewall when I heard someone screaming "help he is going to kill me". When I got up I saw a 13 year old kid bleeding from his mouth running up the road and when he saw me he ran into my garage and hid behind my '32 Ford. It was about that time when I saw a guy walking up my driveway with a huge Bowie knife in his hand. I told him to stop and not to come further onto my property and yelled for the boy to run into my house and tell my wife to call the police. With that the perpetrator said "this is what I think of the police" and drove the Bowie knife into the DS wide white, then smashed the DS windshield and worst of all snapped off an original cowl mount, swan neck mirror and in the process dented the cowl. The total for the damages was $3700. It turns out the guy hadn't taken his medication for three days and attacked the boy's when they were playing Lacrosse on the nearby school field. Grundy Insurance couldn't have been better. They had an adjuster at my home the next day and I had a check for the repairs in a week! Because of the lax New York laws, the perpetrator basically walked away without any consequences. The charges went from Attempted Murder down to Assault With a Deadly Weapon down to Menacing and finally the charges were dropped. Rumor has it that the perp has an uncle that is some sort of big deal in the police in the neighboring county and he pulled some strings to get his nephew off.           P.S. I'm still looking for a cowl mounted swan neck mirror!

38 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

It also happened to me. Three years ago I was detailing my '46 Ford Station Wagon in my driveway. I was washing the drivers side wide whitewall when I heard someone screaming "help he is going to kill me". When I got up I saw a 13 year old kid bleeding from his mouth running up the road and when he saw me he ran into my garage and hid behind my '32 Ford. It was about that time when I saw a guy walking up my driveway with a huge Bowie knife in his hand. I told him to stop and not to come further onto my property and yelled for the boy to run into my house and tell my wife to call the police. With that the perpetrator said "this is what I think of the police" and drove the Bowie knife into the DS wide white, then smashed the DS windshield and worst of all snapped off an original cowl mount, swan neck mirror and in the process dented the cowl. The total for the damages was $3700. It turns out the guy hadn't taken his medication for three days and attacked the boy's when they were playing Lacrosse on the nearby school field. Grundy Insurance couldn't have been better. They had an adjuster at my home the next day and I had a check for the repairs in a week! Because of the lax New York laws, the perpetrator basically walked away without any consequences. The charges went from Attempted Murder down to Assault With a Deadly Weapon down to Menacing and finally the charges were dropped. Rumor has it that the perp has an uncle that is some sort of big deal in the police in the neighboring county and he pulled some strings to get his nephew off.           P.S. I'm still looking for a cowl mounted swan neck mirror!

That is the craziest thing I have heard all day 

Edited by MarkV (see edit history)
  • Like 1

TAKerry, I have been in the service and am a 25 year retired firefighter. I have been in and saw some crazy stuff, but when a guy has a 10" Bowie knife raised over his head and is only about 10' feet from you, do what I did and run.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

Jim

That's why I stopped lending tools to anyone except to two friends who are the same way about their stuff as I am.

Years ago one of my hotrodder kids borrowed an engine stand. He fell out with the fellow whose shop he was using and that individual put a mechanic's lien on it. Had to get the sheriff involved to get it back.

It's amazing what a threat of being charged with receiving stolen property can accomplish. It sadly destroyed two friendships, but I worked too hard and put up with too much crap to let my property disappear in the hands of careless people.

• Like 2

Years ago (yea, I know, here we go again) like in 1975 I loaned one of those two handled post hole diggers to someone and completely forgot who.

I kept them in a shed near a back yard volleyball court where we played weekly for years. Like twenty years.

Over the years I would comment to my friends that came over every Wednesday to play volleyball that I sure would like to have my post hole digger back some day.

One day I was looking for something in the shed and there they were, back from about a 15 or 20 year loan.

I guess if one makes enough noise and for long enough it may yield results.

Yes the tool was my original set as it had my name on it in my handwriting.

Never did find out who had them.

But alas, I got to old to make them work properly.

I don't loan many tools. And if I borrow they get returned in better shape that they were before.

• Like 2

Loaning out tools is nuts. I found a better way than bowering or loaning a tool. I needed an electronic scope to figure out what was wrong with my distributor so instead of bowering one I sent the distributor to Ed and he fix it!  Easier than doing it myself and it’s done right!  He is a master mechanic after all. 
dave s

ps. He is also just a very nice guy that helps a lot of people and I greatly appreciated it. 

• Like 6

You might give some thought to finding some Jersey Barriers (K Rails) or some REALLY BIG Rocks before she hits your car again  (or maybe your house). The picture you posted above would seem to indicate a pattern or maybe just karma.

4 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

She and her teenaged kids were at his house yesterday so her kids got in her car to smoke some weed,looks like they can afford to buy weed but no mention of getting me any money.

Thats funny, I saw an episode on Judge Judy dealing with a loaned out $1000. car and a $400 transmission rebuild. Then they were talking about getting $10,000. worth of tattoos. People gotta have priorities!

• 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, Mark Gregush said:

Becasue the accident was on private property, wouldn't that come under your homeowners not car insurance?

No.

Now, if they hit his car with a lawnmower or something not an automobile as defined in homeowner’s insurance polices, then yes.  Cars hitting each other is specifically excluded in HO policies.  That’s what auto insurance is for.