My "new" 1930 Pierce Arrow

Joe Cocuzza

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

Actually, it was also used on a ketchup commercial for several years a couple decades back!

I am somewhat of a film buff (mostly earlier stuff!), but I don't think I ever did see "The Rocky Horror Picture Show"? 

Did I miss much?

Yeah you did!!!!

At least see it once.

About 9-12 seconds in

After this little sidetrack(I had to do it) I will get the Post back on topic.

I have not yet gotten the car started. I have only been cranking the engine over occasionally.

When I first started doing that the oil pressure gauge would go up to about 10-15 lbs. and then drop back down to zero - normal, right?

Now, the gauge is stuck at 25 lbs. - no cranking - just sitting there

So, where is the pressure relief valve? 

Maybe that is stuck or does anyone have any other ideas????

21 hours ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

I have not yet gotten the car started. I have only been cranking the engine over occasionally.

When I first started doing that the oil pressure gauge would go up to about 10-15 lbs. and then drop back down to zero - normal, right?

Now, the gauge is stuck at 25 lbs. - no cranking - just sitting there

So, where is the pressure relief valve? 

Maybe that is stuck or does anyone have any other ideas????

All good now

12 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

What was the solution?

I am going to answer your question which will embarass me.

The needle was not stuck but me looking at the gauge (through my "blind" eyes) looked as if it was. DUH!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

I am going to answer your question which will embarass me.

The needle was not stuck but me looking at the gauge (through my "blind" eyes) looked as if it was. DUH!!!!!!!!!

No shame in that, Joe. Be glad it wasn't something that needed to be fixed!

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 2:13 PM, JACK M said:

Yes, I made the mistake of closing the garage door so smoke wouldn't go in the shop and stained the door with a huge black spatter.

Would have been different if I was smart enough to turn the stupid thing around.

Love your car Joe.

That is called a "carbon footprint" ha ha ha ha ha

• Haha 1

On 8/27/2022 at 12:42 AM, Joe Cocuzza said:

Does anyone here have a wiring diagram for this car?

I sure could use a copy

The Pierce Arrow Society should have one for your car.

• 1 month later...

Latest update:

EUREKA!!!!!!!!! 

One more small step forward after several setbacks on this loooong journey.

After messing with this car for a year, give or take, and with the help of my neighbor manning the starter pedal, I was FINALLY able to coax it into starting AND running today.

It only ran for about 20 seconds but at least it ran

No funny/odd noises from the engine.

So now I know that it starts and runs.

Now on to the next step.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations, at first I thought you were going to say that EUREKA!!!!!!!!! was a never heard before engine noise. Glad you cleared that up. You should be well on your way to posting the first FIRST DRIVE!!!!

dave s 

ps FIRST DRIVE!!!! isn’t an engine noise either but both will put a big smile on your face. Looking forward to seeing that. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi All,

I apologize for the LOOOOONNNGGGG inactivity, both here and with some progress on the Pierce, but things just weren't conducive to do any work on the car.

Without getting into too much detail, I finally got the knee replacement surgery done and it hasn't been any fun during recovery. Don't get me wrong, I can now walk around with no (pre-op) pain but the recovery is taking longer than I expected.......getting old is the pits. And I have 2 more surgeries to go this year.....

Anyway, this past weekend I was motivated enough to continue with the cleaning up of the chrome - all the "little" pieces.

I have been turning the engine over frequently to keep things free, too

As far as trying to start the car (again) that probably will not occur until Sept/Oct. My neighbor, who helps me, is going for (you guessed it) knee replacement surgery and he will be knocked out of commision for a while.

Also, if and when I return to work, that will put a damper on things.

The ONLY good thing about returning to work is soon afterwards I will be putting in for retirement. So, before the end of this year I AM DONE!!!!!

Sorry for so much "personal info" but that's all the update(s) I have.;););););)

• Like 11

Joe...take your time.......and just keep cleaning it up.........maybe during Hershey I can stop by.....Ed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Joe...take your time.......and just keep cleaning it up.........maybe during Hershey I can stop by.....Ed

Ed,

Thanks for the encouragement.

I have been looking forward to meeting you and IF you can make it here that would be fantastic

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

Yea, it sure is.

I see that Al Roker got a new knee and was back to work today.

I heard those quick recovery stories for years.  Then my brother an I had them both done in 2019.  Mine was in by 9 AM, Out by 3 PM,

walking.   I was, but when the spinal wore off it was horrible.   Alergic to Opioids I took 9 different pain meds and suffered for 2 more years

while my brother an others gave glowing reports.   Now 4 years later, they hurt always and my standing time is limited to 1/2 hour and I

concluded that all the glowing stores were just BS.   Knee replacements are no quick cure and 4 years of Physical Therapy was not either.

Playded competitive tennis to age 50, then bone on bone to age 73 before the replacments and my suspension is flat worn out.

They say Crown Royal may not cure it, but it's worth a shot.   May try one or two.

Tried everything and still nobody has the answer.   I guess that's why there are so many us old guys limping around at old car events.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I heard those quick recovery stories for years.  Then my brother an I had them both done in 2019.  Mine was in by 9 AM, Out by 3 PM,

walking.   I was, but when the spinal wore off it was horrible.   Alergic to Opioids I took 9 different pain meds and suffered for 2 more years

while my brother an others gave glowing reports.   Now 4 years later, they hurt always and my standing time is limited to 1/2 hour and I

concluded that all the glowing stores were just BS.   Knee replacements are no quick cure and 4 years of Physical Therapy was not either.

Playded competitive tennis to age 50, then bone on bone to age 73 before the replacments and my suspension is flat worn out.

They say Crown Royal may not cure it, but it's worth a shot.   May try one or two.

Tried everything and still nobody has the answer.   I guess that's why there are so many us old guys limping around at old car events.

After thousands of miles, pounding the pavement while distance running, I am afraid at least one knee replacement is in my future.  These days if I try to run anywhere near a mile a day, after a few days my knees hurt so badly I can't fully bend them and I can't even step up on a curb. When they hurt like that I can't even wash a car.

I had a very elderly uncle that went through a knee replacement and he was out mowing the lawn the next day.

My mother, on the other hand, had both knees done and she is like you, standing for any length of time is a killer.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of you guys having knee replacement issues.  Did my left one last December and it’s doing great.  Did my right one one month ago tomorrow and I’m mobile with no cane, not without some aching but doing well.

Sure would like to see that Pierce phaeton going down the road!

• Like 2

Some "little" progress so far.

I love the look of chrome on things, especially motorcycles (as long as it is not overdone), and this car has a lot of little/small chrome pieces that need(ed) to be buffed/polished making for a slow go (and a stiff back).

DSCF5779.JPG

DSCF5778.JPG

DSCF5777.JPG

DSCF5776.JPG

• Like 8

A little bit of cleaning and a question.

The front rubber floor mat in my car is one of 2 things:

1-It is either the original mat (which would make it 93 years old) OR

2-It was replaced when the car was restored in 1962'ish which would make it 61 years old.

My question is this.

Eventhough the mat is still very pliable, after I clean it, is there anything I can apply to it that will enhance the pliability (or at least keep it where it is) without damaging the rubber or changing the "look"????

DSCF5781.JPG

DSCF5780.JPG

• Like 1

Joe, the front mat in my Pierce is original, it got so brittle it was coming apart in pieces.

I ordered a new mat from Running Board Rubber a few years ago and the reproduction is darn near perfect.

Dave Coco, trimacar, put the whole thing together and he did all the hard work needed to get the project completed.

If your mat cannot be saved, it looks pretty good in the photos you posted, then I would look into getting a new mat made.

But be aware that they are pricey.

It will be every bit of $1,500 for a new mat.

22 hours ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Check out "Rubber care products" They don't contain silicones and won't leave you with a shinny and slippery mess. Just a nice rich black color and it helps keep it soft and flexible. 

Exactly what product from them should I use?

22 hours ago, zepher said:

Joe, the front mat in my Pierce is original, it got so brittle it was coming apart in pieces.

I ordered a new mat from Running Board Rubber a few years ago and the reproduction is darn near perfect.

Dave Coco, trimacar, put the whole thing together and he did all the hard work needed to get the project completed.

If your mat cannot be saved, it looks pretty good in the photos you posted, then I would look into getting a new mat made.

But be aware that they are pricey.

It will be every bit of $1,500 for a new mat.

Yes, my mat is in very good condition and that is why I want to know what to use to preserve it.

I have dealt with RBR, and although pricey, the product is outstanding

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just "working" the leather a little bit.

It is very brittle and cracked in some spots but I am getting it somewhat pliable.

Lots of rubbing and kneading.

Using some stuff called Leather Love by Titanium. It is a paste (like car wax) and it kinda sorta smells like baseball glove oil.

It really does a nice job of softening up dried up old leather and it is easy to work it into the cracks.DSCF5805.JPG.97de0b7b1ff42e10cc47156974cec38f.JPG.DSCF5803.JPG.308e5c905cbf2a59da3bc7803cd9a786.JPGDSCF5802.JPG.63ce3e9afbaef88e39f90e87f60793b8.JPGDSCF5803.JPG.308e5c905cbf2a59da3bc7803cd9a786.JPG

• Like 11