My "new" 1930 Pierce Arrow

Joe Cocuzza

14 hours ago, Grimy said:

Jack, I used the same CB 33 on my 1934 (but only one of the pair, because the brake is the gimmicky accelerator duplicate 1933-35) so I'm sure your 1932 uses the same.

Thank You sir.

Don't really need them but when reading this I went out to the garage and see that mine do look kind of week, Especially on the clutch side.

In fact RA just sent me a shipping notice, Ordered late last night.

Now we all know that a shipping notice only means that they have printed the label. I wont try tracking for another week or so.😅

• Like 1

7 hours ago, edinmass said:

Keep adding elbow grease and the car is going to look fifty times better. It’s a big car........your gonna get tennis elbow! 

I probably already have it from all of the sports I used to play. And if I keep adding my elbow grease it will probably get worse - but who cares....

You're right - it's a BIG car - and it seems like I am not making much progress but, as you stated before,"small steps", which will all add up in the end. Besides, it's a lot of fun just messing with the car and finding things out about it as I putter along.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2021 at 1:17 PM, edinmass said:

The winter front is controlled by a shutter thermostat in the top tank of the radiator.........don’t worry, it’s not working! Just the joy of an early car. Nothing 400 bucks won’t fix...........😎

Shutter thermostat can be killed by sticky shutter pieces at the pivot points, top and bottom--ask me how I know.  There's a strong spring on the linkage trying to keep the shutters closed.  For anyone getting shutters rechromed on later cars, keep the pivot pins from being plated or they will be a problem.

To test a shutter t'stat, remove and test in a pot of water on the stove.  Massage a wire coat hanger to run thru the mounting holes and over the top of the pot so that the threaded rod remains upright and out of the water.  As the water exceeds 150-160*F, the threaded rod should get a 1.0-1.5- inch "erection" (i.e., it lengthens).  If it does, the t'stat is usable, and you need to adjust the linkage via the threaded rod.  Ensure that ALL the linkage pivots are well lubricated and move freely.

Those t'stats USED to be rebuilt by Jim Otto of TN, who was retired from Honeywell which owned Fulton Sylphon, the original manufacturer.  Three or four years ago, PAS member Scott Henningsen of CA (in the PAS roster) bought Jim's business and is now actually making new units.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Grimy said:

Those t'stats USED to be rebuilt by Jim Otto of TN

In 2015 he rebuilt the device for my 29 Cadillac. Neat guy really knew his stuff.

I sent my Tstat, he fixed it and returned it with an invoice. Didnt insist on money up front(!) who  does business that way any more???

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Billy Kingsley said:

Great seeing the progress on your car Joe. It may seem like little stuff but all the little steps forward add up. 

Thanks.

Like the song by Johnny Maestro - "Step by Step"

I'll keep at it as long as I can until my next surgery in a couple of months.

• Like 3

Haven't gotten as far along on the oil pan, etc. as I thought I would.

Only have a limited amount of time during the week - work gets in the way, you know?

Anyway, I'd like to ask a question.

Either someone used some sort of gasket sealant (looks like Indian Head) on the oil pan gasket OR that's the way it came originally. The gasket on there is a paper gasket not cork.

So my question is: After I get the pan mounting surface(s) clean should I use a sealant or not with the new gasket?

On 9/3/2021 at 8:18 PM, pmhowe said:

I have been told that using an impact wrench to loosen a frozen bolt is far less likely to cause a problem than using a breaker bar. I think the caveat is that the socket must be a good fit to the bolt head. I'd like to hear from the experts on this. I think impact wrenches have gotten a bad reputation from inexperienced users using them to over tighten things like wheel lug nuts.

Phil

Impacts offer a vibratory shock that loosens rust and other oxidation. The trick is gently working it back and forth. Just like a regular wrench, it’s all about the person using it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I remember my Mom talking about the Pierce Arrows and Packards of the '20's and '30's that she saw and greatly admired as a little girl. She was born in 1925, and it was probably in the late 1970's that she told me of her remembrances. By the '70's, they were nowhere to be seen on the streets. She wasn't a car person at all, but was an artist who appreciated well thought out or graceful styling in products of any kind.

17 minutes ago, edinmass said:

A man who owns a Pierce-Arrow envies no other man. 

Pierce advertisement, 1931.

The word-for-word quote is "The man who owns a Pierce-Arrow envies no one."  It's on a wall in my shop--in the bathroom, by the way....  🙂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Grimy said:

The word-for-word quote is "The man who owns a Pierce-Arrow envies no one."  It's on a wall in my shop--in the bathroom, by the way....  🙂

I stand corrected!

Gratias ad defensionem , quod est.........😎

2 hours ago, prewarnut said:

The circular oil pick-up casting on your 9/26 picture set looks cracked. Is that being addressed?

Yes........

6 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Joe if you have the time I need two fenders painted ! I know if I do it it will not look anything near as nice as your beautiful oil pan. 
dave s 

489E1E4A-F717-4109-9222-ADD1C5C3B249.jpeg

Dave,

As much as I'd like to help it is impossible. I have so little time I hardly get to work on my own car(s).

Oh yeah. I'm sorry about what happened to your beautiful car......

Joe

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Grimy said:

A man who has a bathroom in his shop envies no one.

It is 140 feet from my house. My bathroom is by the way. No comma.

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

A man who has a bathroom in his shop envies no one.

It is 140 feet from my house. My bathroom is by the way. No comma.

My condolences, Bernie.  How does your wonderful wife handle your coming to the house with greasy hands?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Grimy said:

How does your wonderful wife handle your coming to the house with greasy hands?

Grimy, you aren't going to like this but I gave a little thought to where I might get greasy. Maybe around the steering knuckle and tie rod ends on the '60.

I have had the cars so long they all look like this.

130.jpg.b1cc24d3c0c1b86ca118db9d39c469a7.jpg

I spend most of my time walking around in bare feet with a bottle of detailer and a polishing cloth.

• 3 weeks later...

Been some time since any updates so.....

Have been doing little things here and there.

Did a little cleanup on the drivers side of the engine - removed the chrome lines and polished, fixed the front generator pulley that was out-of-round because of a dent in it, cleaned oil filter and painted it, cleaned the fuel pump filter bowl....

The major thing that was accomplished this weekend was the oil pan was put back on and filled. Was able to get oil pressure reading on the gauge while cranking engine so all is good as far as that goes.

The next step is to see about getting spark and then  see if the car will, at the very least, TRY to start - without the fuel tank line connected of course.

Moving along - SLOWLY.

DSCF5568.JPG

DSCF5567.JPG

DSCF5566.JPG

DSCF5565.JPG

DSCF5564.JPG

• Like 5