For Sale: 1939 Mercury coupe - $17,000 - Binghamton, NY - Project, May want to repaint - Not Mine - Still Available, Price Reduced to $15,000: November 2021:

For Sale: 1939 Mercury coupe - $17,000 - Binghamton, NY - Project - Still Available, Price Reduced to $15,000: November 2021: See New Link Below:

1939 mercury - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale (craigslist.org)

1939 Mercury 2 dr ht flat head v/8 3speed floor shifted.... runs and drives well . I am listing it for a friend so any questions , 17k or best offer

Copy and paste in your email:  2a887bf0af29320c9c7fd6dd0c0150a6@sale.craigslist.org
I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1939 Mercury coupe.

Note: John Deere Green!   What were they thinking?!?   Appears to have rear fender seams leaded-in, running-board removed and lead-work on the lower fenders and rockers installed. 

'39 Mercury coupe NY a.jpg

'39 Mercury coupe NY b.jpg

'39 Mercury coupe NY c.jpg

'39 Mercury coupe NY d.jpg

'39 Mercury coupe NY e.jpg

'39 Mercury coupe NY f.jpg

'39 Mercury coupe NY g.jpg

'39 Mercury coupe NY h.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Still Available, Price Reduced to $15,000: November 2021: (see edit history)

Even then, doubtful John Deere had their salesmen cars painted in their corporate colors.   This poor car was either a dark blue or metallic gray and someone made a very bad color choice, note the door jams and under the decklid are still the prior colors.  That always signifies quick, cheap repaint because they didn't figure out just to color match what it already was.   Otherwise, might be a decent old Mercury in an attractive body style but now it has to be refinished to rid it of this ridiculous color!

4 minutes ago, suchan said:

I think they're odd-looking, not as nice as Fords. Then someone did some unfortunate mods and painted it a terrible color.

Asking price is wishful thinking.

Cool taillights, though.

Agreed on the paint and I don't like the 1/2 rear wheel cover.   But I have always liked the roof line in back.

• Like 1

The best part of the 1939-'40 Mercury coupe design: the hardtop-style greenhouse.  Same treatment as the concurrent Graham Combination Coupes, '39 Mopar Victoria coupes by Hayes, Cadillac 60 Special, '40-'48 Lincoln Continental coupes and my favorite, the Packard Custom Super Eight 180 Sport Brougham by LeBaron! 

'39 Mercury coupe greenhouse a.jpg

'39 Mercury coupe greenhouse b.jpg

'39 Mercury coupe greenhouse c.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The best part of the 1939-'40 Mercury coupe design: the hardtop-style greenhouse.  Same treatment as the concurrent Graham Combination Coupes, '39 Mopar Victoria coupes by Hayes, Cadillac 60 Special, '40-'48 Lincoln Continental coupes and my favorite, the Packard Custom Super Eight 180 Sport Brougham by LeBaron! 

Agreed Steve.  Looks great on the custom Lebaron for sure.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 10:58 AM, 58L-Y8 said:

58L-Y8, you are 100% right. I don't know why guys nit pick this car. It is an unchopped '39 Merc, with those one year taillights. Show it some love1

• Like 1

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1939 Mercury coupe - $17,000 - Binghamton, NY - Project, May want to repaint - Not Mine - Still Available, Price Reduced to $15,000: November 2021:
39 minutes ago, supercub said:

If it had the running boards it could look better, the fenders look like they have nowhere to go. It does look like it had a serious bond job.

Removing the running boards, welding and leading the rear fenders to the body were old mild custom tricks practiced in the 1950's.  Usually the bumpers disappeared off both ends, the exhaust stuck out ahead of the rear wheels, full moons or baby moons and wide whites.  This poor Mercury may have been treated to that at some point in its life.   Anyone checking it out should check to see if the flathead V8 is correct for a 1939 Mercury since flathead V8 engine swaps were so common in those years.   Dealers offered a one-day service rebuilt engine swapped in when one's old flathead was getting tired.  Drive in in the morning, leave later that day with a fresh factory rebuilt installed.   There is work to return this car to factory original appearance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2021 at 9:58 AM, 58L-Y8 said:

The best part of the 1939-'40 Mercury coupe

There is no best part. It’s butt ugly even w/o the John Deere green. It sure as heck ain’t no ‘40 Ford coupe, & there’s no comparison in the two. One has beautiful flowing style & lines. The other looks like the designer was a 10 year old kid drawing his first car.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...