1933 Pierce Arrow - $4500 Wichita, KS

• rg171352 changed the title to 1933 Pierce Arrow - $4500 Wichita, KS

It’s not a car. It’s not a parts car. It’s not a project. It’s a pile of trash worth scrap value. I wouldn’t take the car if it was delivered to my shop for free. Watching the bidding on it reminds me of other similar cars I have seen sell at auctions. Local bottom feeders know it’s worth 20k because the saw one on like it on the internet. 

37 minutes ago, prewarnut said:

Pardon my ignorance but isn't the engine worth something? In other words what's the status of available V12 driveline components? (I get it, it probably needs a rebuild at 40-50K but if in better shape then someone else's......)

Ed is going to tell you he has 2 dozen core blocks in the back room and they don't have any value.    I already asked.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Ed is going to tell you he has 2 dozen core blocks in the back room and they don't have any value.    I already asked.

Yup, why mess with a engine in a burned out car, when you can buy a good core for less than they paid for the car. We probably have an exact year and series match on the shelf, so it would still make a car numbers matching.

• Like 1

Just now, edinmass said:

Yup, why mess with a engine in a burned out car, when you can buy a good core for less than they paid for the car. We probably have an exact year and series match on the shelf, so it would still make a car numbers matching.

It sounds better when I put words in your mouth for you.

• Like 1

Photos at the shop about an hour ago......all Pierce Arrow stuff from 1929-1938 8&12.........

0C99A36E-7EA9-4372-989A-3F7C288A94DD.jpeg

AE09897E-515E-4226-89B5-ED10ED0042FE.jpeg

2AAC6AC1-4F9D-4CEC-B139-E3BE52B3BAEE.jpeg

D0D633F7-0F66-467E-9968-191E5919313B.jpeg

E53B82DB-9C1A-4E9B-838C-D75821F40E65.jpeg

98CB13D7-920F-442B-A00B-8FA9FBF475C0.jpeg

394DA776-DE54-4DCA-93EB-F063489CB5AA.jpeg

B0AA06A1-87F5-4546-A834-B295B83748F9.jpeg

2C4C0D88-6100-4659-8274-02741A6C61B4.jpeg

C58BAA66-27E5-4A0B-8CB0-6EA7DE11F6E6.jpeg

2AF36E68-C705-494F-89BF-9D601639EA73.jpeg

EA410F80-75CF-4591-B71F-169E126F51AA.jpeg

FF523DFD-DA16-444A-8855-58B4DCDD7373.jpeg

0B6D7FB5-03EC-46CE-90E0-38F96F948786.jpeg

• Like 1

I love the Club Brougham body . I considered scrapping or burying , but burning , never gave that a thought . Then sell the ashes on ebay like this guys doing ?  I'll add it to the list and continue mulling it over . Thanks for that .

33 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Ed is the Dallas Winslow of Pierce-Arrow parts!

Thats only a small portion of the junk we have. We have running take outs as well. Come on down and lighten your wallet!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Ed is the Dallas Winslow of Pierce-Arrow parts!

Some people understand the reference, some don’t…an interesting piece of history.

Great collection of Pierce parts.  Helps keep the P-As on the road!

Ed , I know what you are saying about this car is close to the truth. I wouldn't advise anyone to attempt to restore it either. But surely it must have at least a little bit of value to someone with a similar year and model car. You live in a very different world than 99% of us, as do Almost all Pierce 12 owners. But what good does a warehouse full of parts do when people scrap cars outright ? 

I am a big fan of all PA's, but virtually never even see one. I have the latest roster of the main Western Canada vintage car club in front of me. The club covers a large geographic area , British Columbia and Alberta for the most part. And a population of several million people.  There are all of 6 PA's listed in the roster. Probably a few more in hiding, so perhaps an even dozen in total. I have seen perhaps 2 or 3 in person over the last 40 years , and about 15 years ago there was a late one for sale. And that's it.  That's why I find the entire concept of scrapping a PA of any sort extreme to say the least.

20 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Ed , I know what you are saying about this car is close to the truth. I wouldn't advise anyone to attempt to restore it either. But surely it must have at least a little bit of value to someone with a similar year and model car. You live in a very different world than 99% of us, as do Almost all Pierce 12 owners. But what good does a warehouse full of parts do when people scrap cars outright ? 

I am a big fan of all PA's, but virtually never even see one. I have the latest roster of the main Western Canada vintage car club in front of me. The club covers a large geographic area , British Columbia and Alberta for the most part. And a population of several million people.  There are all of 6 PA's listed in the roster. Probably a few more in hiding, so perhaps an even dozen in total. I have seen perhaps 2 or 3 in person over the last 40 years , and about 15 years ago there was a late one for sale. And that's it.  That's why I find the entire concept of scrapping a PA of any sort extreme to say the least.

I think the issue is there may be close to zero usable parts on that car.   If it was close to free,  nearby and you were dead in the middle of a ground up restoration on the exact same car,  then maybe different story.

Otherwise,  I don't know that it has any value.   How many guys do you know doing a ground up restoration on a 1933 Pierce 12?

Believe it or not..........I see more Pierce Arrows than Ford T’s and A’s. In reality, Pierce Arrow’s in and of themselves are not particularly rare. Certain models certainly are. The burn car is totally junk........I can sell you a running V-12 with all the goodies and a transmission for 12.5k ready to go. Thus, a bunch of overheated iron is zero value. If anyone is interested in a Pierce for Purchase, I have eight available from custom one off stuff to runners, a great Pebble preservation full custom 12, and an assortment of others. Much of what we have is not publicly for sale, but if anyone needs a good Pierce please PM me, and between what I have and friends have, we can find you a good car. Prices range from 15k to 600k. Ed.

Just now, alsancle said:

How many guys do you know doing a ground up restoration on a 1933 Pierce 12?

Well, let’s go 32-35 V-12 Pierce ground up jobs in progress in the USA......the current number is five. Probably 2-6 years before they are all finished. You will see a few at Pebble.

There is no doubt at all that I live in the wrong corner of the Continent. Around here in pre war terms , once you get beyond Ford , Chevy, Plymouth and Dodge things start to thin out very quickly. Just something I have to live with . You guy's really are living the life ! At least the rest of us get to watch from the sidelines. Waiting on the edge of the keyboard for Great White number 2 !  And of course the Sleeve Valve wonder .

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I just saw a late model el camino at a show (was so ridiculous i didnt take a pic, sorry Billy), that was supposedly in a fire. Entire front half and interior were burnt. Car had a good running gear and the owner drove it onto the show field. Looking at this PA, it would be an interesting project to do the same with. As far as the el camino, I did not talk to the owner but I suspected it was a staged effect. There wasn't a single warped body panel. Almost looked like it was purposely torched to burn the paint off. I have had a car in a fire and there was very little that was left straight. If you look closely at this PA you can see all of the sheet metal is warped beyond.

2 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I just saw a late model el camino at a show (was so ridiculous i didnt take a pic, sorry Billy), that was supposedly in a fire. Entire front half and interior were burnt. Car had a good running gear and the owner drove it onto the show field. Looking at this PA, it would be an interesting project to do the same with. As far as the el camino, I did not talk to the owner but I suspected it was a staged effect. There wasn't a single warped body panel. Almost looked like it was purposely torched to burn the paint off. I have had a car in a fire and there was very little that was left straight. If you look closely at this PA you can see all of the sheet metal is warped beyond.

Not a bad idea except the Pierce engine is a 50-75k motor job.