Is it worth mid $20s ?

414TATA

Pre war Buick guys just asking your opinion of value.  I'm considering  selling and really not sure where the real world might value this 1941 Buick Super.

All original  runs great, shifts great has never had a repaint.  37,000 original miles.  To the best of my knowledge I'm the 3rd owner.  I've had it ten years this month.  Had 23,800 miles at purchase.

Diamond back  Radial tires (installed 4/2019)with approx. 1600 miles on them.   All new brake shoes and new master cylinder with around 1,000 miles since installed.

No interior photos here but interior is in excellent condition.  No rips or stains in upholstery or headliner.  dash is in excellent condition.  speedometer and odometer are accurate. Gas gauge does not work.  Wipers do not work. (I've never had it out in the rain 🙂)  Radio does not work . Heater does not work  ( doesn't get too cold cold here).   All other gauges work well. Temp runs at 180 deg. Oil pressure is excellent at idle and on the road runs 47 to 50+#s  (some oil leak to be determined.. down one quart in last 600 miles since change driving about once a week usually a 16 to 20  mile run. 

I'm thinking of selling because I'm having shoulder problems BIG TIME and require surgery which I'm putting off as long as possible. I can manage  fine if I don't stress it.  With no power steering this heavy Buick is not easy for me to steer especially at low speeds. I'm aware there may be a fix to add power steering but I'm thinking in might be time to pass this original car on to another who will appreciate it.  Your comments appreciated. (These photos aren't recent but the car looks exactly as shown. I'm having problems uploading so using older photos. ) 

DSCN0190 - Copy.jpg

DSCN0202.jpg

DSCN0196 - Copy.jpg

DSCN0198 - Copy.jpg

DSCN0201.jpg

• Like 1

Wayne:

If you could take some photos of the interior and the engine compartment, I think it would help people give you an opinion of the value of your car.  However, I wonder whether it's really in your interest to have a public discussion of what the car is worth?  Keep in mind that this is the Internet -- do you really want prospective buyers to have access to a thread in which people might be picking apart your car and giving opinions of what it's worth?  Something to think about.

Neil

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Old Cars Report Price Guide shows a value of $15,080 for a Condition 3 version of your car. Old Cars Report Price Guide shows a value of $23,450 for a Condition 2 version of your car. I tend to think that this publication is usually a little bit low on Pre-War Buick pricing. From the limited information that you have posted, I can't really determine if your car would be a #3 or a #2 condition. I would guess it would be likely to sell for something in the low to mid 20's. 

• Like 2

Hey Neil.

As I said I'm having trouble up loading so that's why the dated photos and no interior shots.  I'm not concerned about people giving me their  opinion on value.  Actually I couldn't think of a better place to ask. 

Thanks for the feed back.

Matthew:

Thank you . what prompted my post here was while I was out on my run today I had a very interested person asking about value.  He might be a potential buyer if I decide to sell.  I'm no expert on value so that's why I ask.

I appreciate your input. 

Wayne

My '41 is fully restored, but mine is a Full Classic Roadmaster with fender skirts and bumper ends.  It has a mint interior and trunk interior, new black paint and all new chrome.  I paid $21,000 for it with 59,000 original miles.  I've restored every part of it except the interior and the inside of the engine.  It now has 60,000 miles on it and I've spent around $21,000 more to get it where it is.  I've advertised it for $35,000 and never gotten a call one.  So there you have it.

Beauchamp 1941 Roadmaster dash.jpg

41 Buick Finished 5.JPG

41 Buick Finished 1(1).JPG

41 Buick repaint 83 final engine finished.jpg

• Like 2

Five years ago I purchased this 1939 Century with an older repaint and recent interior with 80,000 miles in Canada for about $6500. USD.

Regards, Gary

DSC_2442.JPG

Nice looking car. If I were selling this car, I would have the fuel gauge repaired (great deal of discussion of gremlins that could cause this) but not expensive. I would also see about the heater, as a prospective buyer may wish to drive the car in the fall. Windshield wipers are a flip of a coin, as many people, me included do not wish to drive their car in the rain. IMO preparing for a sale, or lack of, is where many people fail to take care of the little things and show the car in the best light. That having been said, 1941 was a very good year for Buick and yours is a nice example. 

Edited by kingrudy
Clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Wayne, your car has a lot going for it, but in terms of the market I think the mid-20's is optimistic for a 4-door Super.  You've seen my Super, and I think it's similar to your car in terms of presentation even though it's not as original.  I paid 12.5 for mine.  On the other hand, a car is worth whatever someone will pay for it, and it you have a potential interested buyer, there's certainly no harm in starting high!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you deducted $1,000 per year for the 1,000 miles of pleasurable ownership, which certainly has some value, you would end up with price you would never let it go for.

I would be more inclined to drive it less often but each time drive it faster and farther than you have been driving it.

You have been doing great with your 1,000 miles per year. Thoroughly check the front suspension, steering, and go back to the biased tires. That car was designed for a 5' 2" 120 pound grandma to drive with ease. My Grandma O'Brien had no problem with her Buicks.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Don't understand why my response has not posted.  (Thought I responded few hours ago?)

I appreciate the feed back and agree the mid 20's is too optimistic for this car.  I'll try lower.

Thanks to those of you who had comments and opinions.

Wayne 

Edited by 414TATA (see edit history)

Today a truly well sorted pre war car is hard to find. If it runs flawlessly and doesn't overheat it should bring a premium. Location also plays a big role. Shipping a 20k car across the country is going to add a bunch of expense to it. Local cruise nights with a for sale sign is a good place to start. Remember one thing........often today, your first offer is your best offer. Overexpose the car for sale and having it sit for ever in ads is NOT good for the car. 

• Like 3

Den,

I had a 41C and sold it when the CCCA turned down Classic status.  I continued the fight and eventually CCCA decided the 70 series was a Full Classic so I bought this sedan to participate.  It took two years to get it to where I was comfortable riding with the Packards and then COVID hit last year and this year my age caught up with me.  Guess in the end I'll keep it for winter nights here in Florida or hopefully somebody else will want a real good Full Classic here in Florida.

I don't think adding power steering would hurt its value down the line; it might even improve it a bit considering today's buyers, and you could get an extension on your ownership.

Radio's busted? Who wants to listen to AM, anyway? Heater, gas gauge and wipers would be a deduction, though. A long-term owner is a plus, at least to me, as are recent Diamondbacks.

It's a handsome car, no matter how many doors it has. My worthless opinion: ask $20K, take $17-18K. 

1 hour ago, suchan said:

Who wants to listen to AM, anyway?

Just an aside here: I had my tube radio rebuilt with an added AUX jack that enables me to plug in my smart phone (conveniently hidden in the glove box) and listen to whatever music I want.  Obviously, I'm not the only one to have done this.  For a little more money, I could have gotten it set up for Bluetooth.  Anyhow, I highly recommend this.  It has enhanced my driving experience immeasurably!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, suchan said:

Who wants to listen to AM, anyway?

I like to turn on the radio in our 36 and listen to Bing Crosby, Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey and those old news reports and commercials are a hoot.....

• Like 1

I guess I betrayed a personal preference by downplaying radios. One of the things I like about driving my old car is being engaged in the experience: watching the gauges, listening to the motor, downshifting, upshifting, scanning far ahead for suburban street warriors, departing a stoplight on a hill by letting the car roll back just a bit so the twerp on my tail understands I'm not driving a restomod with an automatic....

Hey, who has time to listen to music?

• Like 1

There was a time when I dismissed the radio in an old car as something I didn't need. Well, I still don't "need" it or care if it's broken, but with the operational AM radio in the Limited now equipped with a Redi-Rad that plugs into my phone, it's actually really nice having some music in that old car. Sound quality is still horrible and it's not powerful enough to be heard at highway speeds, but tooling around town with the music of my choice playing is actually quite nice. Again, I don't really need it and can live without it, but if the radio in the Buick suddenly broke, I think I'd miss it. Still nothing better than listening to a Tribe game on that crackling old AM tube box while slicing through a cool evening on a quiet road.

• Like 2