1953 Buick Skylark Asking $49,500. Ran when parked.

I think I'm going to do one of each of the 53 Halo cars as the Caribbean got some good comments from posters.    What is the saying?   "The most expensive 53 Skylark is the cheapest".

Interesting car that I might have fallen for 20  years ago and ended up with 250k in to it when 100-150 buys the nicest ones around.

Although,  if it just needs fluids, ignition, rubbing compound and new gas....

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/buick/skylark/2475407.html

Transmission: Auto
Condition: Good
Exterior: Red
Interior: red and white

Seller’s Description:

1953 Buick Skylark convertible, Many years stored, 100% complete, drive as is or restore as needed, perfect floors - rockers- trunk. One tennis ball size hole in front of each rear wheel, ran without issues when parked. Asking $49,500

Price: $49,500

BuickSkylark53-1.jpg

BuickSkylark53-2.jpg

BuickSkylark53-3.jpg

Ever wonder what the reason was for letting something like this sit? I would think most reasonable people would realize they aren't going to use it, restore it, or anything else, & want to get their money out of it. But that's too logical. Maybe that's why we're called old car nuts. Emphasize the nuts part.

1 hour ago, George Smolinski said:

Ever wonder what the reason was for letting something like this sit? I would think most reasonable people would realize they aren't going to use it, restore it, or anything else, & want to get their money out of it. But that's too logical. Maybe that's why we're called old car nuts. Emphasize the nuts part.

Life gets in the way of a lot of stuff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

I agree. It's too bad they don't realize it and part with the vehicles before they turn to dust.

I agree, my philosophy is that I am a caretaker of this vehicle for a brief period of time. My car was here before I was born and will be here long after I am gone. When I can no longer take care of this car, then I need sell it and let the next caretaker enjoy the time he, or she has with it. No mouse house will be sitting in my garage. 

It looks like a reasonably decent starting point to me . Yes, too expensive but you have to start somewhere. Even if it sits another 10 years before the seller gets realistic about the price  it's not going to turn to dust. Sooner  or later someone is going to a proud new owner. I have a hard time believing cars like this are ever going to end up as parts cars or scrap as long as someone doesn't push it outside for a couple of decades.

1 hour ago, daniel boeve said:

Everyday you will find 4-5 skylarks on ebay.  To much cars on the market!

That is a good observation, Daniel.

I notice that on the Hemmings website, too,

there are always many 1953 and 1954 Skylarks

for sale.  Often, there may be 10 or more.

Lincoln Mark II's are the same way.

The production was very low, so why are there

always so many for sale?

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

That is a good observation, Daniel.

I notice that on the Hemmings website, too,

there are always many 1953 and 1954 Skylarks

for sale.  Often, there may be 10 or more.

Lincoln Mark II's are the same way.

The production was very low, so why are there

always so many for sale?

They are like Corvettes and Graham blowers - nobody ever sent them to the junk yard.

In the case of the graham, they sent the car but kept the blower.

16 hours ago, alsancle said:

A 53 and a 54 are really two different animals.

Two different cars but both have fallen in price drastically , I was just in a building that s has 7 53s and 54s that we’re going to be restored but are now just sitting due to the value drop .

• Like 1

Friend in our chapter had owned several 53s over the years, presently has a very nice 54. An opportunity came up that there was a restoration underway at a shop down south. Incomplete car and the owner backed out of the deal. New deal.... the shop in conjunction with the owner has offered the partially restored car for sale. My friend wants the car as his wife would like to have it done in Reef Blue.

No problem... My friend sets up an agreement that they will complete the restoration for well over $100K stated completion price. At the time I was having driver restoration work done on my 1937 Special. Ballpark price we had to spend was to be around $10K. Guaranteed to be able to DRIVE to the 2012 BCA national. Well that did not happen...Even though our bill ended being double the estimate. My friend was kidding me about my situation and would show me his "IRON CLAD" completion contract stating that his car would be finished and be able to win GOLD at the 2013 BCA National at South Bend.

We did get to drive our 1937 to South Bend. The 53 was never finished and my friend got out of the deal which was taken over by someone else. Now that person is still waiting.....

2 minutes ago, rwchatham said:

Join the club in doing a couple now and thinking about hyping  a couple of more 😬

If you have a full garage setup and enjoy/can do 90% of the work yourself then there are worse ways to spend your time.  

I have seen multi-multi-millionaires practically in tears over the bills on full boat professional restorations.

8 hours ago, dibarlaw said:

My friend was kidding me about my situation and would show me his "IRON CLAD" completion contract stating that his car would be finished and be able to win GOLD at the 2013 BCA National at South Bend.

A guaranteed price for what is obviously a Time & Materials project???

Sheesh, how could anyone fall for that? Would they expect an iron clad guarantee from their lawyer? or their surgeon?? 

12 hours ago, m-mman said:

A guaranteed price for what is obviously a Time & Materials project???

Sheesh, how could anyone fall for that? Would they expect an iron clad guarantee from their lawyer? or their surgeon?? 

It is sort of like lifetime warranties.   People don't realize that the "lifetime" is that of the company selling you the product,  not the product.

• Like 1