Indoor cover, easiest and most compact

I have nylon covers for all my collector cars, like parachute material.   Very light weight,  great for dust and fly poop, but hard to put on alone or in a breeze.   Suggestion:  find a modern car of similar size and shape to your antique and order a cover for that.   I buy Ford Explorer  size and they cover all the way to the floor.   Folds up to a football size pouch for storage.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
spill check & added thought (see edit history)

I always get a kick out of car cover threads.  I use a better grade indoor cover from California Car Covers (no affiliation).  I am very happy with it. It is light and stretchy keeps the dust off my car. My car is never parked outside so I dont need a heavy all weather job. Cover is made to fit my car, 1977 Trans Am. I can easily put it on and take it off in a minute. I have a system down how I do so every time. I fold it towards the centre from each side then roll it from front to back. Ends up in a sleeping bag type roll when off, unrolls and folds down when installing. Pretty simple, but this is a low flat car. It cost about $250.  This is where I find the humor. So many people will shy away from spending $200-$400 for a decent cover, to protect their $30k-$100k car with a $20k+ paint job!  I bought a car cover in 1982 for my then brand new 1982 firebird from a company called Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories (believe they are long since out of business) that I am still using to cover my 79 t/a that is under restoration. 

• Like 3

Great minds think alike Bill!!

You BHMA has faired better than mine.  I had mine rolled up in a ball for many years, almost threw it away one time.  Rolled up in the garage the mice did get a hold of it and chewed a pretty decent hole in the side. It has also suffered a bit of dry rot and I have to be careful when pulling on it. When I painted my 79 project I was going to get a generic cover (until the car was finished) from auto zone then i remembered the 82 cover. Figured I would give it a try. Surprising the third gen specific cover fit the second gen almost perfectly, only a bit shorter.  Still planning on getting a CCC for the 79. I cant post pics from this computer or I would post a pic of it.

• Like 1

Kerry & Bill, You saved me a lot of extra typing with your posts. I too have fitted California Car Covers for two of my cars. The first one my brother bought for me as a gift for being is Best Man at his wedding. Talk about a useful and thoughtful gift for a car guy. The 2nd I bought years ago at the Fall Hershey Flea Market. Got a very nice discount from the vendor. 4-6 weeks later (they are custom made) it arrived. Both covers have been in service for many years now. 

BTW Kerry, I think you and I both went to the same school for how to fold a car cover.  😁 

• Like 2

I'm another California Car cover guy having owned their covers since 1969 for my then brand new Verdoro Green 1969 RA IV GTO.  They make covers in many different fabrics depending on intended use and they really fit.  The last covers I had before I bought my 31 Buick coupe were for a Porsche 928, a 68 GTO and a 63 Dodge 330 post car.  When the Buick came home one of it's good features was it had a pretty nice paint job and knowing what the dust generated while working on restoration projects in a small garage that also houses the car is mean to paint.  I queried on California Car Cover on E-bay and found a new customer returned cover for a 1931 Olds coupe.  Having priced a custom cover for my car at close to $400 because it's not a high volume cover I decided to take a chance on the Olds cover which came with the bag and directions for the princely sum of $129.  It's only shortcoming as far as I care is the sides are not cut quite long enough to reach from the roof of the car down below the running boards but it does an excellent job of keeping the grunge off the paint.   The other cover product I still own is a Stanley fully enclosed climate control cover which consists of a floor panel you drive the onto, then the upper cover is spread over the car and zipped to the floor panel all around.  It has re-chargable dessicant cannisters that you dry in your over for 4hrs at 400 degrees and throw inside the cover under the car and a battery operated hygrometer that goes in a pocket on the rear panel of the cover with a clear vinyl window and allows you to observe temperature and RH% inside the cover.  That cover was used to store the first GTO after winter layup and the California cover always went on first.

20190506_171637.jpg

20190506_171904.jpg

• Like 2

Well, I know this is not exactly applicable, but for a little fun : Back in the late ‘50s - early ‘60s, “my”, (remember the story ?). Yeah “my” , ha ha ha, “my” 1930 Mercedes-Benz SS38/250 Sindelfingen body tourer lived up on blocks in a garage above Pasadena, CA. It was simply covered with sheets of newspaper. The sump was open to drain and dribble the last charge of oil into a container for later disposal. Twice a year the newspaper would be removed, and it would be given fresh oil, and taken for a very good drive. A slightly famous car, I understand it is in Europe now, but I have no idea what covers it at this point.    -    Carl 

• 1 year later...
On 4/10/2021 at 8:58 PM, charlier said:

Kerry & Bill, You saved me a lot of extra typing with your posts. I too have fitted California Car Covers for two of my cars. The first one my brother bought for me as a gift for being is Best Man at his wedding. Talk about a useful and thoughtful gift for a car guy. The 2nd I bought years ago at the Fall Hershey Flea Market. Got a very nice discount from the vendor. 4-6 weeks later (they are custom made) it arrived. Both covers have been in service for many years now. 

BTW Kerry, I think you and I both went to the same school for how to fold a car cover.  😁 

Yeah, great to know. If you did like to gift a car guy you can gift a car vacuum, Universal car seat cover, Roof cargo bag, or few koozies to put there beer bottles or drinks cool.   

Edited by Enrique Creed (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I use nylon covers. (Parachute material)    Very light and hard to put on in a breeze.   Also hard to put on alone if the vehicle is

highly waxed, they tend to slide off if not fully wrapping the vehicle.    Great for dust, fly & bee speck & spring pollin.   Rool up

into a attached pouch, easy to store.