What car is this??

realthinman

2 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

1970  Torino, possibly a Torino Cobra without ram air.

Greg

I was thinking Torino, but the roof around the windshield corners is more like a MoPar.

• Like 2

I noticed the odd upper roof / windshield as well. A bit of custom work that came along with the aftermarket vinyl roof ? The front end , hood, grille , bumper, lower splash apron etc are all Torino. Torino front clip on a 71 Satellite ? Definitely a bit of an odd one.

Greg

• Like 2

Someone's junkyard creation from when those early 1970's muscle cars were cheap and relatively easy to find.  I suspect it started out as a 1970 or '71 E-body Mopar, with some mid-size Ford bits added from the same era, along with some fiberglass work to make it all fit like it 'belonged'.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

5 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Someone's junkyard creation from when those early 1970's muscle cars were cheap and relatively easy to find.  I suspect it started out as a 1970 or '71 E-body Mopar, with some mid-size Ford bits added from the same era, along with some fiberglass work to make it all fit like it 'belonged'.

Craig

1335981005_whatcar.jpg.d3a89c6d471055036d5dc64d18962358.jpg

2 hours ago, Locomobile said:

Vauxhall? Sorta similar.

Vauxhall Firenza (1971 – 1975) | Heritage Motor Insurance

That Vauxhall is a Viva, though the one on the photo looks to be the sporty coupe version Firenza, and is a very small car by American standards.

The mystery car is 'mid size' for the circa 1970 era - Torino or similar size.

• Like 1

Everything else about the bumper is spot on , including the bolt placement. I think if your Cobra photo was taken head on like the dog photo it would look the same. Brings back memories, I had a dark green Cobra Sports Roof 35 years ago.

Greg

I see some similarities but the different sized headlights and that strange upper windshield shape sure don't look Torino.

That is why I thought earlier it was a foreign built (Ford?) perhaps.

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

5 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

I see what you mean. On the Torino the bumper end extends upward to about the mid height of the headlight.

What the heck is it ? A bodyman's late night creation ?

Exactly!   (As I stated further up.)

Craig

Yes must be a foreign Ford model. The bumper looks the same except for the ends. The bolt locations are the same. The thinned down center part of the bumper looks the same. The sheet metal opening below the center thin section of the bumper looks different, with it being rectangular on the Torino and curved on the unidentified subject.

Note the lack of "pointed ends" on the front of each fender, beside the headlights. The Torino fenders that year were quite pointed, but the OP's photo shows relatively blunt front fenders. I concur with the theory that it is modified. 

5 hours ago, Ozstatman said:

Shape of the windshield is "different". To me looks more like a rear windshield.

dog on2.jpg

I've never seen any Ford from that era, North American, Australian, or European, with a windshield like that!

Craig

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

I've never seen any Ford from that era, North American, Australian, or European, with a windshield like that!

Craig

I m betting there is a standard windshield behind that vinyl top and curved stainless trim. As has been pointed out a few times already, the execution of that stylistic flair just doesnt jibe with any car I can recall from that era- and yes, I'm including AMC! It looks more like something that seemed like a good idea late on a Saturday night when you couldnt find the windshield trim, but had an extra back-light piece hanging on the wall. There even seems to be a seam on the right side corner of the top where a piece of extra vinyl was added to fill the attendant gap(?)

The antipodean Falcon is a close match, but that grille is a tad off- the space between the horizontal bars is greater in the OPs car, and the difference in size between the paired headlights is not the same as a "stock" AUS Falcon or USA Torino. Again, it could be a modified piece.

The fenders (or at least their leading edges) seem to be off another late 60's/early 70's Ford product, a Mercury Montego.

Oh, to have a side profile shot!