spark plug question

RIVNIK

Ok.  Well did speak with a Bosch tech by phone and he had NO listing for 4236.  He could not tell me a thing about the 4236.  He did have the listing for 4036 that had been discontinued in 2016.  So anyone know what the difference is?

Art

Searching here in Canada, I found 4 of these plugs at a motorcycle shop in Quebec City but didn't purchase because another 4 are unobtainum and have  been for quite some time. Like trying to find a 12" Switch Pitch Torque Converter here in 2021!

From Bosch:

image.png.020ba4b8cac15331e5600ceb0de2e3c1.png

• Like 1

Thanks John,

Found another chart that is easier to read.  It may not interest everyone, but here is what it all means

So a WR9FP (4236) is W=14mm x 1.25mm, hex is 21, R= Resistor plug, 9 heat range (06 to13) 13 being hottest, F= 9.5 thread length, P= platinum,

and WR9FP+ (4036) is the same as above except the + which means Super plus technology.  Per Bosch, the 4036 was identified as Bosch 4036 WR9FP+ Platinum Plus Spark Plug

So they are the same except the +, and we may never know what the Super Plus Technology is.

Art

318394475_Bosch_Numbering_System_WR9FPplug.jpg.2cd6c658ae93e4387597d08e840d940d.jpg

Normally as packaged they are between .038" or so to .041" as packaged.  I set most to .050". That is IF you have GOOD plug wires & NONE of the date coded repro junk.

You must be careful when setting the gap. Don't drag the gapper across the tip, middle of the plug as the platinum on the tip is very thin. Use a gapping tool is the best way. The nice thing about them is as you open the gap they don't get cockeyed.

Tom T.

• 2 years later...

I enjoyed going back & reading this thread. A person did ask what some of you thought was a really stupid question, I must admit. Then(as at other times), someone feels like they have to say sorry, we don't have time to answer your silly question, why don't you perform a search and leave us alone.  Others even chime in with the same nonsense. They could have spent less time just answering the question with 3 or4 numerals and possibly a letter, or just not say anything. Notice what followed. A two page, in depth, technical discussion on everything one would want to know about spark plugs. Thanks to everyone who took the time to turn a piece crap question into a meaningful dialog. Including the people who didn't want to answer, then chose to wow us with their vast arcane knowledge of spark plug facts.   just sayin'

Bosch WR9FP also no longer available here in Bosch Town Stuttgart Germany. 

Found this replacement table, but No gurantee for correctness. 9D66408B-C743-484C-A9A7-9344E0A48C58.png.25800c7b0f1a5db30654a7fc5bfa1308.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OldGerman said:

Bosch WR9FP also no longer available here in Bosch Town Stuttgart Germany

Frank, you're our inside man! Tom T's experience has identified the Bosch WR9Fp as THE Sparkplug of choice. So, if you're on the doorsteps of Stuttgart, perhaps you could knock on the doors at Bosch HQ and demand the return of this sparkplug, LOL😆

Also, we need an inside connection for pancake air filter elements!

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2024 at 2:04 AM, XframeFX said:

Frank, you're our inside man! Tom T's experience has identified the Bosch WR9Fp as THE Sparkplug of choice. So, if you're on the doorsteps of Stuttgart, perhaps you could knock on the doors at Bosch HQ and demand the return of this sparkplug, LOL😆

Also, we need an inside connection for pancake air filter elements!

Germany’s politicians and EU parliament decided to prohibid  Sales of new vehicles with combustion  engines in 2035. So Bosch, Mann-Hummel, Mahle, and all the other old german automotive suppliers have to drive the   change towards  electric automobiles to avoid bankruptcy.

Who cares about a 3years only 60 years old pancake Filter ?

It‘s totally absurdity that electric car sales numbers are so low in Germany due to lack of charging infrastructure and way overpriced 3 tons E-SUV‘s built by BMW , Mercedes, Volvo....

chinese brands are filling in with small and medium size cars now.

this premium car sale strategy could be a fail...... to stop development of high efficient and clean Diesel and gasoline engines is a big fail as well. Just my opinion. 

How is it related to pancake filters ?

there is no business case for it. 

Just have to find that one forgotten storage full of NOS WR9FP Spark Plugs. Just a dream.

1 hour ago, OldGerman said:

How is it related to pancake filters ?

there is no business case for it. 

Just have to find that one forgotten storage full of NOS WR9FP Spark Plugs. Just a dream.

Sparkplugs have been found and at clearance prices. Not so for that air cleaner element I'm afraid and never will.

Again, thought K&N would've support us.

Might the normal platinum plugs ("P") be the "single platinum" version and the other ("P+") be the "double platinum" variation?

Single platinum means the ground electrode has the thin plate of platinum fused/welded to it.  Double platinum has the plates fused to both the center electrode and the ground electrode.  Yes, care must be used with gapping them.  If you don't like the .050" gap, decrease it to .040" or .045" gap.

Just some suspicions and thoughts,

NTX5467

Just want to back up , re Tom t,  recommends Bosch spark plugs, reason why i know is ,

i owned  five Porsche 911 , models 1969  to 1984  mostly when i lived in California   years , and all 

i used Bosch spark plugs,---any Porsche owner  will say the same.

But i have just  stuck with A/C  in my Buicks,.

Pelican Parts in CA  are a good source for  Bosch plugs,  but probably  not cheap these days.